Where are all our Packer poster friends?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jetcane, Aug 11, 2008.

1. TeriB

TeriB New Member

4 more posts

2. TeriB

TeriB New Member

2 more posts

3. Wild Thing

Wild Thing New Member

Well, in the first place, they didn't lose to the Bengals in any part of the season. That's why they call it the pre-season. Because it's, like, before the season. Not part of the season.

Second, I have yet to see anyone suggest that losing the game was any sort of "triumph." What most people who know anything about football have said is that Rodgers looked very good. Which he did. That's all the Packers needed to find out from that game, and by that measure it was definitely a success. He put up 10 unanswered points before leaving the game with a 10-0 lead. He did exactly what was expected of him, and did it well. If you want to somehow blame him for the fact that the 2nd-string defense couldn't hold the lead he left them, or that the backup quarterbacks couldn't move the team, by all means go right ahead. Just don't expect anyone to take it seriously.

You Favre folks really have to let go of this blind hatred you've got going on. The Packers have built a very good team over the last 3 years, and it looks like they've found a very good quarterback to lead it into the future. Hating him because he's not Favre is as silly as it is pointless. Kid looks like he's got a damned good future, as does the whole team for that matter. It'd be a shame if you missed it just because you refused to see it.

4. TeriB

TeriB New Member

One more . . .

5. TeriB

TeriB New Member

BINGO!!!![​IMG]

HA! I'm FREEEEEEEE![​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. TeriB

TeriB New Member

I'm so glad there's an ignore function on this board. YOU ARE AN IDIOT! [​IMG]

7. SmokeFather

SmokeFather New Member

I was a Favre/Packer fan living in Chicago. Now, I'm a Favre/Jet fan living in Chicago.

8. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

Teir, be careful. The mods around here don't take to name calling at all. Remember when you pointed out how social this board was when you first got here? It's because we work hard at eliminating this type of posting. Either debate cleanly, or let it go.

I'd also like to point out that he was absolutely right in everything he said.

9. Jetcane

Jetcane New Member

[​IMG]

10. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

Teri, you didn't happen to call The Jim Rome show last week as a caller named Joline, did you? Just curious...

11. TeriB

TeriB New Member

Considering the way the guy has dogged me and called me names since I got here, I think "idiot" is a fair evaluation. YOU AGREE with what he said - he wasn't RIGHT.

As for his assertions that no one is suggesting the game was a triumph, just google/news "Aaron Rodgers" and you'll see all the glowing praise for an iffy performance. I also don't harbor any "blind hatred" for Rodgers - but I guess you AGREE he was right about that too, and no one should be realistic about or criticize Rodgers, like Wild Thing has, incidentally, done where Favre is concerned more than is reasonable IMO.

But thanks for the advice and your evaluation - I have him on "ignore," something I'm sure the mods here would approve of.[​IMG]

#71 TeriB, Aug 12, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2008
  12. Wild Thing

Wild Thing New Member

Oh! Well! I guess that settles that, then. If only I had known I was up against someone with your superior debating skills and devastating intellect, I wouldn't have bothered trying to argue with you. "YOU ARE AN IDIOT" is the most brilliant counter-argument I've ever heard in any debate. Winston Churchill will be coming back from the dead any minute to write you fan mail, I'm sure.

You know the thing that I enjoy the most about the Favre deal? The fact that it drives so many people like you off the Packer bandwagon - people who don't know jack shit about football, people who just worship Favre because he's Favre. I actually enjoy the fact that this whole thing pisses so many of you off, because you're an embarrassment to the real fans and we're better off without you.

13. TeriB

TeriB New Member

Nope, not me. I take it she was brilliant? [​IMG]

14. Wild Thing

Wild Thing New Member

I've been around long enough to know that when people say they have someone on ignore, it's even money they're still reading. So on the chance that you are, I'll take a shot at explaining where I'm coming from.

First of all, I'm not "dogging" you, and I've never gotten personal with you except in response to your insulting me. All I've done is disagree with a couple of your posts after stumbling across them in various threads. I would point out that of the two of us you were the first person to disagree with me, and you did it in a pretty caustic manner. If that set an unfriendly tone between us, well, so be it. But don't blame me. It wasn't my idea to take things in that direction.

As far as Rodgers is concerned, most of what I've seen since last night's game is, admittedly, generally high praise for the kid's performance. But I'd stop way short of calling it "glowing" praise, and in fact I've seen a fair amount of objective criticism as well. All in all, I think the press coverage has been pretty accurate and balanced.

The fact is the kid looked as good as he needed to look at this stage of his development. Everything he's done over the last year or so suggests pretty strongly that he's on the right track and following the curve the Packers had in mind for him - he did a terrific job in training camp last year (in fact, a lot of people thought that if there had been an open quarterback competition, he'd have won the starting job), and when he came in to replace Favre in the Cowboys game last year (after Favre had thrown 2 1st-quarter interceptions and given the Boys a 17-zip lead), he not only played damned well, but came very close to ovecoming the 17 point deficit Favre had left him and winning the game. This year, he's looked even better in training camp than he did last year, and last night he looked solid in his first start of the season. He looks like he is right on track.

I understand that losing Favre is a very emotional issue for a lot of people. I freely admit, I cried when he retired. I absolutely loved the man. He was my favorite NFL player of all time, and always will be. But he's no longer the guy I want leading the team into the future, and it's time to move on. I don't blame people for having a hard time letting go of the past, but if you can't love Brett without hating and insulting everyone who has a different point of view, please don't be shocked or indignant if the people you attack swing back at you. We're guests here, and I don't want to fight with you in someone else's forum. If you're still reading this, and still want a piece of me, can we please do it through PMs?

15. Jetcane

Jetcane New Member

I love the ignore function, though I use it sparingly.

16. johnny_blood

johnny_blood New Member

Rodgers showed a lot of promise last night. He went 9/15 with two throwaways and two drops. That one bomb incompletion to a wide-open Jones was perhaps catchable, but Rodgers needs to put a bit more air under the ball in that situation.

Rodgers was the #1 thing to look at in that game so it's no wonder many of us are very pleased about the game.

Of course he wasn't perfect. His pocket awareness is not great, but that only comes with experience. He needs to get better at avoiding sacks. He needs to fine-tune his touch. I think he will improve in these areas.

#76 johnny_blood, Aug 12, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2008
  17. Jetcane

Jetcane New Member

Lavernaeus?

:wink:

18. ElleBlue

ElleBlue New Member

Ah there it is! The quote button. I must have submitted a lot of posts already.
    Thanks Teri!

19. Favre2008

Favre2008 New Member

If you just look at the stats, Rodgers did okay. But, if you consider all the pressure he was under, I'd say he did pretty well.

Although, I find it hard to judge any player based on one game.. I don't think we're going to have any real answers until November.

By the way, what is wrong with Jeff Tedford? I went to school with Rodgers, and he wasn't a miracle man, but he was good. He does have the intelligence, composure, and previous coaching to make him into an excellent nfl QB.. which is something that most of the failure NFL QBs never had.

Best of luck to him. The players around Rodgers are extremeley talented so even if it takes him a year or two to settle down, I do ubt he'll be lynched (unless they miss the playoffs lol)

20. Ray

Ray New Member

I'm a Packer fan, and a Favre fan, don't see why you can't be both. So, now I am a Jet fan, too. :jets:

Dream matchup, Pack/Jet SB, but in that case, would have to cheer for the Lombardi trophy to come home, where it started. :beer:

The frozen tudra, have any been to Lambeau, it's awesome!