When will Jet fans turn on Idzik, Geno Smith

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by rajensen088, Apr 30, 2013.

1. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I have yet to see one positive post about the Jets out of you. I think your TGG name is highly misleading.

2. BleedGreenDaily

I will turn on Geno as soon as he throws his first TD. How dare this offense score!

3. AK-JETS4Life

AK-JETS4Life Active Member

What is this touchdown and scoring that you speak of???

:breakdance:

4. Lehtonen

Lehtonen New Member

Bad comparison. The Colts were in a race for one of the greatest prospects in a long time. What would we be throwing away the season for? Clowney?

5. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

why is it ok for Joe not to throw a TD pass in a game then compliment him for his 3 TD game but not do the same for mark? he had no TDs at Indy 2010 then threw 3 at NE in a game we were almost as big of an underdog as SB III facing possibly the best QB of all time on the road w/ a bye week?

I didn't compare Mark to anyone, I just pointed out a fact to once again make you look silly w/ your whining.

The AFL wasn't passing friendly? Just please stop embarrassing yourself any more than you already have.

1 team from each division made it(though we got the benefit of Oak and KC playing a playoff to meet us so not only didn't Joe's team earn homefield they got a bye they didn't earn either) so we had 5 teams in the AFL East, 1 in 5 chance- 20%. In 2009 & 2010 2 of 12 teams won WCs- under 17%./ we had a 1 in 4 chance to win the division which are better oddsa than '68 BUT we had a dynasty team in our division w/ mark while in '68 the 2nd place team was a .500 team.

Keep spouting off nonsense, you look better and better w/ each post:rofl2:

6. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

Nope, but the first F*** up was drafting Smith and adding him to the circus. Now they are saying all five guys will compete for the starting job. To draft Smith in the 2nd and say he is on the same level as Sims is just pointing to the fact they screwed the pooch. So if Geno is the worst QB does he get cut? NO!

7. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

Geno is sounding whiny and weak.

In hindsight, I might have given up #13 overall plus a 2nd round pick (Geno) to the Raiders to move up to #3 overall to take Tavon / Dion Jordan.

We could have thrown in a 5th and some conditional late-round picks to top Miami's offer. The Raiders didn't get enough compensation.

Would people rather have:

1) Tavon / Dion Jordan, Milliner
    2) Geno, Richardson, Milliner

#127 al_toon_88, May 1, 2013
    Last edited: May 1, 2013
  8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I'd much rather have #2 on that list for a rebuilding team.

If you think the Jets are going to get a better QB prospect than Geno out of the 2014 draft I think you're engaging in wishful thinking.

9. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Supposedly Geno was upset they convinced him not to play in the Senior Bowl and that ended up hurting his stock. He was also annoyed that nobody tried to help adjust his image before the draft when all the negative reports came out.
    It seems like anything painting Geno in a bad light came from his fired agents, and anything painting Geno in a good light is coming from someone still close to Geno.

10. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

Hey Bradway, can you explain all of the muckraking that is going on today on Geno? I've never seen anything like it. FWIW, most of the national media seem to be in our corner, but a couple of outlets are screaming loud about Geno's character.

Weird thing is, Rich Cimini hasn't said a word about Geno or his agents.

11. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

what does the colts accelerating cap hits have to do with them 'sucking for luck'. they were cutting those guys either way. but they choose to take the cap hits immedietly, instead of spreading them out, to maximize cap room the following season. which is a great move as long as you dont need to added free agents in the current year.

also, what does cutting sanchez have to do with throwing away the season? its not like he increases our chance to win over any other QB we have. and its not like we are going to be above .500 regardless of who starts

12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The muckraking is happening because it sells for the people who are doing it. I suspect that a few anonymous sources from other teams have joined in just to see if they can make the Jets squirm.

It'll be ok. As long as Geno and the Jets don't engage at this point it will all die down and the next time you'll hear Geno Smith stories will be during the QB competition in camp.

13. Hellas-skins

Hellas-skins New Member

The problem is this.... Gotta fix the online and give surrounding weapons to help out any qb. Mistakes will happen but regardless he's a rookie as long as he learns from them and goes through his progressions then he will or whomever it may be will get better

14. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

to the contrary, I did compliment Sanchez on his one 3 TD game, it's the one playoff game where he looked good.

However, your simply looking at Touchdowns, I'm looking at the whole of the games. Fact in the Superbowl while Joe threw no TD's he did throw for over 200 yards against one of the most dominate defneses of the era and completed 60% of his passes. Now, big deal you might say, and under todays passing rules you would be correct, it would be a pedestrian game in todays games with todays rules.

For someone who claims to know as much about football as you claim you have little understanding of the game, especially when comparing performances from different era's.

Take for example superbowl 1. Neither QB threw for more than 250 yards and the two QB's combined to complete 57% of their passes in the game.
    Superbowl II neither QB threw for more than 208 yards and combined to complete 48% of their passes.
    Superbowl III Baltimore didn't even make 200 yards in the air and the two teams combined to complete 48% of their passes, (I'll remind you Namath completed 60%).
    Superbowl IV neither team threw for 200 yards, though Minnesota just mised it at 199. The two teams combined to complete 64% of the passes thrown, it was an exceptional short passing game but a bruising running game.
    Superbowl V One team didn't even break 150 yards, the Colts did put up 260. the two teams combined to complete 45% of their passes.

Put that in context with the Superbowl and playoffs of the contemporary rule sets and if your IQ is over 10 you'll see the picture. When put in to context with the performance levels of his contempories vs the performance level of Sanchez vs his contemporaries you see that Namath actually was meeting the criteria of the Champions, He was one of only 4 QB's in the first 5 Superbowls to complete 60% or more of their passes. and one of the half that manged to break the 200 yard mark in a Superbowl.

Put Marks performances, aside from the 3 TD game which I gave him Kudos for, against his contemporaries and you see how badly he pales in comparison.

Yes if you ignore the way the game has changed over the past 50 years Namaths and Sanchez's numbers looked the same when you compare the 0 TD games, but when you look at each QB's numbers in context you see that one performance was superior and the other's has been, well I'll say inferior but that's being too kind.

For someone to claims to be an "above average fan" who "thinks" for himself you demonstrate a repeated inability to grasp concept or context.

15. 1968jetsfan

to address your second point, you talk about the two methods of making the playoffs as two seperate things. They're not. The reality is that in your own division you have a 1/4 chance of making the playoffs (which is better) BUT if you miss the playoffs you have an additonal 17% chance of getting a bonus shot! so in reality that works out to be roughly a 33% chance of making the playoffs in any given season. as opposed to a 20% back in 1968, as you describe. that's in increase in probability (when based strictly on random chance, which isn't the case in the NFL) of 61% of reaching the playoffs.

As far as your comments about the 68 Jets having a bye week they didn't earn, they earned it by winning their division cleanly. plain and simple.

But again, you demonstrate that you really don't have much of a grasp on football, since in reality it's not a random probability of a team making the playoffs.

16. 1968jetsfan

Or to put that last thought another way, in the 60's there was no consolation prize if you lost your division.

17. nyjunc

oh so you need to throw 3 TDs in a game to look good so Joe didn't lok good in 2 of his 3 playoff games?

you can throw for 1,000 yds but w/o pts what does it mean? he led us to ONE TD all game. Our D almost shutout Baltimore except for a garbage time TD but it was all Joe.

as far as 200 yds, John Brodie did it twice against Bal in 1968, Dick Shine/Kent Nix combined to go over 200, Bill Munson and Joe Kapp did it as well. This wasn't some rare feat.

Joew completed 60% of his passes against Bal in a quick strike shorter passing game not to allow the Bal pass rush to kill him. when he was normal in the AFL title game he completed 39% of his passes.

why are you bringing up 250 yds when Joe threw for 206?

In SB I Dawson threw for 211 and Starr for 250- both combined for 3 TDs- Joe had ZERO. bart Starr completed SEVENTY % of his passes and added 2 TDs. dawson completed 59%, well below Joe's amazing 61%.

How did Dawson completed 59%, Starr 70% and they didn't combine for 57%? They combined for 64%.

In SB II BOTH QBs threw for over 200 yds, one 202 and the other 208. Both QBs comined for 3 TDs- I' remind you Joe had ZERO

In SB III our D picked off Bal FOUR times including multiple times in the EZ but it was all Joe!

take away Mark's 3 TD game and his postseason #s look like this:

79-132, 60%, 961 yds, 6 TDs, 3 INTs, 87.9 rating. 3-2 record, led O to 18.4 PPG

take away Joe's 3 TD game and his #s look like this:

31-68, 46%, 370 yds, 0 TDs, 3 INTs, 44.3 rating, 1-1 record, led O to 11 PPG

see how easy that is?

in what context is leading your O to 11 PPG good? heck, even w/ the the AFL title game included he led his Os to 16.3 PPg in his postseason career, taking away Mark's best game he led us to over 18.

1 in 4 on paper but we have a DYNASTY team in our division so that removes any div title hopes, we didn't have a .500 team in our division. Both years they won the div w/ Joe the 2nd place team was a .500 team, In 1969 the top 2 made it so a .500 team made the playoffs in a league where only 10 teams existed.

They won a division where the 2nd place team was .500, they didn't earn any bye week. They got lucky that 2 teams as good or better than them tied and had to play an extra game then travel to NY even though both teams had better records than us.

STOP embarrassing yourself please. I feel bad doing this to you.

18. nyjunc

That's interesting b/c in 1969 the 6-6-2 oilers two finished 2nd in our division made the playoffs or was 1969 not part of the 60s? so in only 4 of Joe's years did one team make it from the division.

19. 1968jetsfan

Yawn, 1969 was part of the 60's yes, but it was the beginning of the playoff era..something you'd realize by scrolling back. But that's bside the point.

regarding your continued comparisons to Namath, you continue to miss the point.

you continue to compare raw stats across decades without taking in to consideration changes in the game. The two are not equal in that regard and you know that.

But this is a perfect example of how you take information out of context and try to warp in in such a way as to make Sanchez look even marginally acceptable.

Again, In the wins, if you exclude Sanchez's 3 TD game, Sanchez thew a total of 2 TD's and never broke 200 yards...and again this has to be compared to how this stacks against his contemporaries and now how the numbers stack against players who played the game 50 years ago under very different rules. When you compare Sanchez's stats to his contemporaries playing under the same rule set Sanchez is clearly a 3rd class citizen.

But you continue to compare sanchez to players from 50 years ago when the game was played very differently because it's the only way you can even marginally make Sanchez look even marginally acceptable.

But keep trying to make this about Joe and not about Mark.....You do of course realize that by trying to make Joe look horrible and then comparing Mark to Joe your making Mark look even worse, right?

20. nyjunc

Joe only played 5 seasons in the 60s, he played 13 years in the league and only 4 of them he needed to win the division to get his team to the playoffs so 70% of his career he had more than one way to get into playoffs.

My intent is not to compare Mark to Joe, a healthy Joe is obviously much better than Mark. I brought Joe up b/c of your playoff bashing of mark about not throwing a TD in a game.

Why can we take away mark's 3 TD game and not Joe's? Mark had the 3 TD game in the biggest win in franchise history outside of SB III.

I'm not making it about Joe, I am debunking the nonsense you post.