When was the first jet game you attended?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 17a_tailgater, Oct 17, 2006.

1. scott dierking II

scott dierking II Active Member

September 17, 1978, Jets vs. Seattle Seahawks. Jets lose 24-17. Key play of the game was a fake field goal by the Seahawks.

2. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

76 at Shea vs. the Bills. First win of the season. I was so young I don't remember the game so much. I do recall yelling at the team to sit down because we couldn't see the game from behind them. I think Namath came off the bench to spark a come from behind win, but honestly, that could be embellishment. I do remember him walking off the field right in front of us and I was amazed somebody that crippled could actually play football. He didn't look like he could walk a dog.

3. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Jim Zorn was their holder and starting QB. I hated that game.

4. Italian Seafood

You were on the first base side, Jets side. That happened to me in a game vs Seattle in 1981, we were seated too low behind the Jets' bench. The punter, Chuck Ramsey, stood in the way most of the game, except for the punts.

That game was going on at the same time as Game 5 of the World Series, Dodgers vs Yankees in LA. Dodgers won, 2-1. :up:

5. davecrazy

davecrazy Active Member

Jets/LA Rams early 1990's

6. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

that Seattle game is the one where wesley walker caught a long TD early on but they called it back, right? We couldn't catch a break aaginst Seattle in those days- they owned us. We finished '81 on a 10-2-1 streak and the 2 losses were to Seattle but since we broke through in '85 we have owned them.

7. Slagan7

Slagan7 Member

It wasn't my first game, but I went to a seattle jets game in '98 and vinny rushed for a non touchdown. I was in that corner of the end zone, and I went with K Rock radio when they were actually cool. Funny thing was, my friend was from england, and he threw a bag of popcorn off the mezz, and we totally forgot about it. About 20 minutes later a swat team came down to throw out my friend. He actually successfully argued, that in englanf, that kind of behavior is tolerated.

#107 Slagan7, Oct 18, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2006
  8. ViLMaNiaC51

ViLMaNiaC51 New Member

My first game was Seahawks vs Jets in 2004. When they made a nasty goaline stand and ended up winning I think 37-14. Because of that game I fell in love with attending the games it's so much different.

9. NYJets38

NYJets38 New Member

Vs. the Bills Week 4 2004

Jets dominate the game for 3 quarters and lead 13-0, would have been more but a Chris Baker fumble in the red zone and a Doug Brien missed field goal kept the Bills in the game. 4th quarter, Bills score a touchdown, and then with less than 5 minutes to go score again on a long Lee Evans catch to go up 14-13. Chad leads us back though, and we kick a field goal with 50 seconds left, and the defense holds on, intercepting Bledsoe's hailmary at the end of the game.

Fun game, only game Jets game I've been too, but hopefully not the last.

10. MarionBarber31

MarionBarber31 New Member

70 or 71 Vs. the Chiefs at shea. It was cold, jets got killed. Al Woodall at QB...no wonder somebody gave my dad the tickets! My clearest memory is Chiefs DL Buch Buchanon was a MONSTER...looked much bigger than everyone else on the field. I also remember my dad kind of shielding me on a FG attempt (we were in the endzone)...I don't think they had started using nets at the back of the endzone yet on FG's.

11. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

October '83 against the Falcons when I was 7. It was pretty cold and rainy. I always used to think Jaworski was Bartkowski from the Falcons because all I could remember is the "ski" on his jersey from that first game and it always stuck with me lol :jets:

12. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Terrible game ....Jets blow a 21-0 late lead......Billy White Shoes Johnson caught a long TD pass and then on the next series ran back a punt for the tying TD....

13. Italian Seafood

Chris Ward holding, old reliable. If I remember correctly, it was our first play from scrimage from our 20, an 80 yard catch and run for Walker down the right sideline, right past me and my dad--and Chuck Ramsey. We ended up never scoring a TD, lost 19-3. Good thing for the Dodgers, saved my day.

14. Italian Seafood

I realized today, October 19, is the date of my first Jets road game, 1998 MNF at New England. I was working in nearby Brockton and the place I was working at gave me tickets.

It was like going to a high school game, a few 2-lane local roads to old Foxboro Stadium, which resembled a big high school field. Walking in, there were the Jets, in the road whites, stretching in the end zone, just a few yards away. We sat in the bleachers and the Jets came back to win, aided by an Aaron Glenn INT of Drew Bledsoe in the end zone and a late Vinny TD pass to Dedric Ward. There's only one road out of there, so we just tailgated and watched all the angry, drunk New England fans file out of the gravel parking lot.

Later that year I saw my only other road game, at Buffalo when we clinched the division--ironically on another late Vinny TD pass to Ward. Easily the best year I've ever had as a Jet fan.

#114 Italian Seafood, Oct 19, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2006
  15. scott dierking II

scott dierking II Active Member

That is correct. And the kicker? Former Cowboy Efren Herrera.

16. neid92

neid92 Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 1981, Buffalo vs Jets (AFC Wild Card Game, Shea Stadium). First time the Jets have made the playoffs since 1969. My dad (John Neidert) played for the Jets in 1968 and 1969. When he went back for the 10 year reunion of the Super Bowl team, they told everyone that they would fly the team back if they ever made the playoffs again. I was 9 years old, and I will never forget that game. GO JETS!

17. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

That was my second game, and that one I was old enough to remember, quite sadly. Jets were down by at least three touchdowns and my father made us leave. In the lot at Shea a huge cheer goes up. the comeback was on, but now I was listening to it in the car on the ride home. I remember thinking I'd be pretty pissed if they pulled that one out, was practically rooting against my own team. I'd say I've gotten an awful lot back in the karma department for that since then.

18. Zcore

Zcore New Member

Week 4 this year Colts at Jets amazing game

19. wa2k99

wa2k99 Active Member

Jets Colts 1990 when I was 9 years old. I also went to a game against Buffalo in 92. They lost both and I haven't seen an NFL Game live since.

20. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

yup i rememeber standing there for a while when dennis byrd was down, i know i was at a few games before that, but the first game i rememeber was that game, and i was born in 1987 so do the math