When was the first jet game you attended?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 17a_tailgater, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

I was referring to mrjet80.

You and I are a notch below mrjet80 and nyjunc. (Unless they are making these posts with newspaper articles and old boxscores on their desk and old games playing on their televisions.)

2. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

No, believe it or not, I remember 95 - 100% of the details of Jets games from 1980 - present. I do have some old games but not very many in fact some of them are from nyjunc. I consider nyjunc the best as far as detail orientation goes.....

3. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Based on your posts here and in the trivia thread, I am led to believe you have a photographic memory.

4. nohope

nohope New Member

2000 Jets vs colts...ugly game

5. mrjet80

Why? Did you attend the game in Indianapolis? That was an ugly game but the home game against the Colts that year was the game Martin rushed for 203 yards and we beat them fairly easily.....

6. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

We were up big on them(20-0?) but it was a fumbled shotgun exchange btw Jeff saturday and Peyton Manning that sealed the game for us. Indy had pulled w/in 20-17 but after the fumble we scored a TD and put the game away.

#186 nyjunc, Oct 24, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2005
  7. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

He was actually a scab during the 1987 strike replacement games and he stuck on the roster for a couple years afterwards.

8. Italian Seafood

True. I remember the games but not in the detail of nyjunc and mrjet80. Back in the day I used to tape all the games and watch them a couple times, that helps you remember stuff. Now I just record the home games I go to so I can see the TV coverage and the stuff I missed while at the game.

9. Allentown Ernie

Gentlemen, since the thread asked what is the first Jet game you attended I must qualify my answer because this is the one and only game I attended at the meadowlands although I have been to games in Baltimore and Philly to see the Jets. This was the year the Jets were 1 and 15 and Boomer was the QB. My daughter was in the pharmacutical business and Steve Gutmans daughter was one of her clients. As most of you older guys know Mr. Gutman was president of the N.Y. Jets. Gutmans daughter found out from my kid what a rabid fan I have been for many, many years, and said to her I will send you tickets for the last game because she was coming home for the holidays. She sent my kid two tickets for the last game and we were invited to watch from " MR. GUTMANS PRIVATE BOX". We were also sent parking passes that we were told to put on our dashboard. When the attendants seen the passes they jumped up and opened more and more gates till I was parked next to the stadium with all the players and owners high powered cars. I showed my tickets and was ushered to the elevater and went up to the door that said Mr. Gutman. The door was opened and a gentleman stuck out his hand and said " Hi Ernie Im Steve Gutman, President of the N.Y. Jets. My kid and I wen't in and were treated as a member of the family. I sat next to his brother " if I remember all this stuff correctly" As I ate and drank fine food and drink my daughter who graduated from Hofstra U. found out that Mr Gutmans sister also went to Hofstra " I think" and was a lawyer. They hit it off and talked alot during the game. To sum all this stuff up it was a once in a lifetime experiance that I will never forget. Of course we lost, Boomer was hurt during the game, however I have told this story to my friends so many times over the years when I say "Have I ever told you about the time" they start running in another direction to get away from me". So there it is, my one and only time at the Meadowlands to watch my beloved Jets. Allentown Ernie.

10. baamf

baamf Active Member

Great story Ernie. The best thing about that game against the Dolphins was just a couple of days before it is when Kotite resigned. The place was empty that day....

11. mrjet80

Good story -sounds like you were treated with class. Could you clarify something though (maybe you don't remember) At the end of your post you mentioned that Boomer got hurt that day. Boomer was off the team by 1996. If Boomer was the QB then the game you attended was the last game of 1995, a 12-0 loss to the Saints (now that I'm thinking Boomer was hurt in this game). 1995 and 1996 were pretty identical except the Jets went 3-13 in '95.......

12. Allentown Ernie

When I was there we were 1 and 15. Mr. Gutman also gave me the choice to go down to their seats on the 50 yard line at half time. Think about that offer, It was the last game of the year, although as I remember the weather was pretty nice that day why would I leave the presidents box where the temperature was nice and warm, good food to eat and good burbon to drink. Although at my age "69 years" I have many a good story to tell, after a few beers it is hard to shut me up. However every word of this is true. This is one of the best days of my life. I spent a day that only millionaires can talk about. Man, is life good or what? Allentown Ernie.

13. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

true story, life is good. tell it to halfemptyjets69. Thanks for sharing.

14. Allentown Ernie

To halfemptyjets69 my glass is always half full. I have been retired for seven years, scream for the Jets every sunday or monday night, drink beer every day, Tear down the road in my "90' Vette" every now and then, and my wife is still beautiful. Is life great or what? End of story. Allentown Ernie.

15. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Me too. Except for the Vette and the retirement, but that just nitpicking. Have a Yuengling for me on Sunday.

16. CapoStatus27

CapoStatus27 New Member

Ahh, I remember my first game.. when my cousin converted me from a Cowboys fan to now a diehard J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets fan. It was Dallas @ Jets in 2003 I believe. Not 100% sure of the year but it was quite a game.

17. allan1

allan1 Active Member

My first Jets game was actually at the Meadowlands in 1981, Jets-Giants. Before we were forced to move in with them : p

Jets D completely shut the Giants down, they did nothing all day. Simms had to be peeled off the turf, he was frightened off the field. He was literally cowering in fear. no joke.

#197 allan1, Oct 28, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2006
  18. Italian Seafood

I remember that game, 26-7 Jets. I think the Giants only score was on a blocked punt. That was around midseason when the Jets were bouncing back from an 0-3 start.

19. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Correct, I think we sacked Simms 9 times that day.