What Year Did You Become A Jets fan?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by LeonNYJ, Jan 30, 2012.

?

When did you become a Jets fan?

1. 2009-2011

3.5%
  2. 2000-2008

13.5%
  3. 1997-1999

16.0%
  4. 1986-1996

21.5%
  5. 1981-1986

16.7%
  6. 1970-1980

12.8%
  7. 1960-1969

16.0%
  1. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

keyshawn brought me in too ... you dont have to qualify why you liked him, keyshawn was that dude!

2. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

The 1986 Season was great, terrible, great again, and heartbreaking.

3. Franchize

Franchize Well-Known Member

85...when I came out the womb. Jets fan from the womb to the tomb...Unless we ever rehire Schotty

4. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I still can't comprehend how we blew that div title.

5. Fightin'JetTitan

Fightin'JetTitan Active Member

The year Joe Namath was drafted by the JETS!!

'Nuff said!

6. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Injuries and a terrible coaching job by Walton. You have to wonder what coudl have been had Michaels not flown off the handle after that Raider playoff game in 82. Let's not forget that we were 2-0 and coming off a blowout of the Pats during the strike year in 87. We never really got back on track but lost to the eventual SB Champion Redskins by a point in Washington when Ali Haji Sheik kicked a FG. That strike killed our chemistry and momentum. That's an oft forgotten dagger in our hearts.

7. nyjunc

We did have a ton of injuries but we should have been able to win another game and win the division.

we looked good to start '87, the strike definitely hurt us dropping 2 of 3 replacement games and we had Wash in the first real game back but blew that one.

8. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

I think I am wrong but Jay Schreoder and not Doug Williams was the QB that day. Can't believe I pulled Ali Haji Sheik out of my ass.

9. nyjunc

yeah it was Jay Schroeder.

I always remember Haji-Sheik w/ the Giants- I think he came after Joe Danelo.

10. Braylon4ever

Braylon4ever Active Member

'97 when Bill Parcells took over the Jets, I was intrigued. I had no rooting interest or NFL team at that time. I simply watched the games and whatever teams were playing just for the hell of it.

After Parcells arrived, I learned about the Jets and their snake-bit history(Joe Namath-Guarantee and all) and immediately took a liking to the franchise. Mainly 'cause they are the true UNDERDOGS of the NFL, IMO.

My Fan-dom was forever cemented the Day Vinny Testaverde took over Glenn Foley's spot as the Jets QB in '98. Chrebet, Keyshawn, C-Mart, Mo Lewis, Marvin Jones, Aaron Glenn, Ray Mickens, Victor Fucking Green, and even Otis "My Man" Smith(lol) became part of my vocabulary and I never looked back since. :)

Now I live and breathe NY Jets football....and I feel that Rex is the man that will FINALLY help break this long, long championship drought that's been like an anchor tied to our collective necks for over 40 years....

#70 Braylon4ever, Jan 31, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  11. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

I was at the final replacement game. The strike was actually settled during the week and a few guys showed up to play, Pat Ryan started at QB, Mark Gastineau played. We beat Kyle Mackey and the Dolphins in OT, it was a nice day in October, I remember going back up to college with a tan.

My favorite Jet team in all the years I've been watching them, and in my opinion the best.

12. ScotlandJet

ScotlandJet New Member

Became a big Jet fan early in the 80's. My uncle who used to visit New York regularly brought me back a Kenny O B shirt and I thought I was the coolest dude in the world. My ex fucking wife cut in half after a furious fight. Needless to say that was the end of that period in my life and I never forgave her. Fuck you bitch!

13. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

1981. First game I really remember was the tie against Miami, after which it was on, they went off and ended up 10-5-1 after an 0-3 start. Have vivid memories of the playoff game that year where Buffalo got off to a 24-0 lead and the Jets came back, down 31-27 with under a minute left, Todd drives them down the field.

My family had a get together that day, like 40 people in my aunt's house. As that final drive was starting, the ladies were calling us all to dinner. The men watching the game wouldn't listen of course, but as time went on, they wore us down. We watched the last a couple of minutes standing around the dinner table as they screamed at us to sit down and eat - looking up at a small 12 inch tv that was attached to the wall.

Todd threw an INT with 30 seconds left to end the comeback. It's been just like that ever since.....lol

14. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

The Jets beat the Bills 42-3 in that one.
    My father got the game program from someone at work who was a STH. Greg Bell was on the cover.
    I do not believe I have it anymore.

I missed that Redskins game because my uncle took me to some stock car race.

15. Chrebet86

Chrebet86 Active Member

Ive been a Jets SUPPORTER since the day I was born, however I did not become a FANATIC untill I was 10-11 years old so 1997 is the first year I can really recall what happened and all the players and such.

Embarrassing side note: I give alot of credit to NFL Blitz for getting me more involved with football, I just wasnt interested untill that time period and i played that game alot back then.

#75 Chrebet86, Jan 31, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  16. The_Darksider

God, I remember that season more than any other season from the 80s. 10-1 start, get smoked by Miami on a Monday Night 45-3, lost the last 5 games ff the season to end up 10-6 and backed into the playoffs on a three-way tiebreaker. And those losses were mostly all blowouts. Huge collapse.

But they destroyed KC 35-15 in the wild card, then had a 20-10 lead on Cleveland in the divisional round with about 3+ minutes left, only to have the Browns tie the game thanks to Mark Gastineau roughing Bernie Kosar on 3rd down and giving the Browns a first down. Jets went on to lose in double OT.

I cannot believe how vividly I remember all of that.

17. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

69. I was six....

Born under a Bad Sign.

18. The_Darksider

For those who don't understand "same old Jets" and how us old guys mean it not as a negative "this team sucks" kinda thing but as a "geez, they are SO fucking frustrating" vibe - the 1986 season is a PERFECT microcosm of this franchise and what their history has been like for me.

19. InChadWeTrust

InChadWeTrust New Member

Good offseason thread. The year I became a Jets fan (really, an NFL fan) was that magical 2002 season when Chad Pennington stepped in. Still can't believe that loss to the Raiders. Awful. The only time I ever felt confident that the Jets had a legitimate chance at the Superbowl was that year and also last year.

20. The_Darksider

Geez, I barely BARELY remember the '87 season. I would not have remembered at all, but the talk about the first three games being scab games brings it back somewhat, and I remember very slightly the loss to Washington. It seems after the heartbreak in 1986 I took somewhat of a break from remembering every season for a few years as I have very little memory of the 87-91 (or so) teams.