What would you do as a GM? (POLL)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Pags2112, Mar 19, 2017.

?

What Would You Do Is A GM This Year?

1. Sign or trade for a Vet QB of the future.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Sign Vet, draft 1 w 6th pick, winna take it.

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  3. Sign Vet QB to start & draft a QB in 18'.

4 vote(s)
    7.5%
  4. Draft starter QB sellin the farm need be.

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Sign a Vet QB to just be a mentor.

17 vote(s)
    32.1%
  6. Sign a Vet QB to compete, winna take all.

5 vote(s)
    9.4%
  7. Draft a starter QB w 6th pick, no vet.

4 vote(s)
    7.5%
  8. No vet, Draft QB in any rd, winna take it.

3 vote(s)
    5.7%
  9. Go w Pettenberg, No vet QB nor draft 1.

11 vote(s)
    20.8%
  10. Sign Vet & draft 1 any rd, winna take all.

7 vote(s)
    13.2%
  1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I understand. For some reason, I'm not uneasy or impatient regarding the QB position. I don't think it will really matter who is at QB for the Jets this season, they will suck this year regardless. I'm all for finding out once and for all what they have in Petty and Hack.

At this point, I have little or no confidence in Bowles to do a proper job of developing the young players, in preparing them to play week in and week out, instilling discipline into the team, in getting them to play hardnosed and smart football, or in managing the game or the clock. So far, imo he has shown himself incapable of doing those things. As if that weren't bad enough, with a rookie OC, a QB coach who hasn't worked at any level in 4 years, all the holes and young players the Jets have, I can't see them winning over 3-4 games even with an "easier" schedule. I think the "easier" schedule thing can often be misleading or a mirage. Teams can and do change dramatically over an offseason with FA additions, draft picks added, players getting healthy, or a team suddenly coming together/HC hitting his stride.

I'd love to see the young players develop this season, but don't hold out a lot of hope for that. I think there's a pretty good chance that any young offensive players will develop under Morton, and the OLBs have an excellent chance to develop under Greene, but if any of the rest of the defensive players or STs players develop, I fear it will be on their own.

I think that Mac will have a solid draft, but fear that any positive impact of strong new players coming to the team who are leaders (such as Howard, Adams or others) will be negated by the blackhole that is Bowles, Rodgers, and the STs Coordinator (no pun intended).

Pags2112 likes this.
  2. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

I think that this years QB draft, overall, is not that great. I also think that Hackenberg was not selected in the 2nd round just to be the backup for the Jets. I also think that drafting Hackenberg perhaps means Petty may be the odd man out and that perhaps the FO and CS do not believe he can be a starter in the NFL.

Currently, I would go ahead and sign a Vet (McCown or Daniels) and then have an open competition in TC for who will be starter.

I also think that if Macc thinks there is good value to upgrade over Petty he may very well do that through the draft.

Ultimately though, I truly do believe that one way or another Hackenberg will be seeing starter game time in 2017.

#42 grkmanga31, Mar 20, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    Pags2112 likes this.
  3. Pags2112

Pags2112 Well-Known Member

Agreed, you should definitely know what you have by year 3. All these visits, as NCJ mentioned, could also be interviews for an arm to be signed "if needed" come camp. If Chase Daniels is visiting and he has less starting experience than Petty, hmmm .. how about this scenario .. Petty will be the vet = QB1, Hack ready and waiting = QB2, Rookie fresh off the draft press = QB3. Come camp, if Hack shows the improvement the CS was looking for, and Petty does not, we part ways with Petty and sign one of the QB's that visited. What do you all think?

ColoradoContrails and Red Menace like this.
  4. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

if Hack shows enough to beat out Petty, then they should allow Petty to be the backup and have the rookie they draft in the 4th or 5th round as the 3rd QB.

Ron Wolf stated, any veteran you bring in will take valuable developmental time away from the rookies. The jets are a rebuilding team no need to bring in a veteran in my opinion.

5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I think this may be closer to the truth. And as Red Menace said, if Hack beats out Petty, that's all good. To me, this is a far better plan than bringing in retreads and never weres who won't make them any better, and who will only tempt Bowles to use them to give HIM "The best chance to win".

Red Menace and Pags2112 like this.
  6. Pags2112

Is "The Best Chance To Win" the Jets version of "Make America Great Again." Nevermind the youngins, we need to bring in a mentor for Bowles. Parcels needs to pay the twig of his coaching tree a visit.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  7. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

I think Trubisky will be there at 6 if the Browns don't take him, and I don't think they will at #1. So Trubisky to the Jets and let the three duke it out. If need be start Petty and let Trubisky come in mid-season. It's not like we will be in any playoff hunt this year, and it will give are next HC a starting QB to work around.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  8. ColoradoContrails

Replace Trubisky with Mahomes or Watson and you've got a deal.

Pags2112 likes this.
  9. Pags2112

Agreed, definitely give me Mahomes over Trubisky. Watson has been growing on me. In the later rounds I'm still Peterman and now I'm finding Brad Kaaya intriguing. Do we have a 2017 QB Draft Class thread, if not I'm going to start one. At the number 6 slot, we are definitely in the conversation.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

In the later rounds I would include Webb, although his stock is rising so he might not be there. I still like Peterman though if they're looking in the later rounds.

11. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

What the hell is going on here? The top choice, with a third of the entries, is to hire a QB just to be a mentor! Obviously that means to get an experienced quarterback and not play him, which also means to pay veteran money and tale a cap hit for a coach! Coaches are cheaper than players and are invisible to the cap and player time is regulated by the CBA so why would you go the player/mentor route when you can get a coach to work full time?

Red Menace and ColoradoContrails like this.
  12. ColoradoContrails

Exactly!

13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I don't think that would happen. For one thing, the last I heard, Petty might not be healthy until TC. As much as I have hope for Hack to develop, until we get to OTAs and here some reports about how good he looks, I won't count on him to be ready. With that being the case, I can't see Mac not signing a vet and being content to draft a rookie. The only way I see that happen is if no vet QB will sign with the Jets (a real possibility) or there is a QB in the draft that Mac really likes and thinks can start day one. Even then, he'd be taking a huge gamble, and I'm not sure he's that much of a gambler.

14. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Kaaya's an interesting case, he's a good thrower but a statue in the pocket. Similar to Sean Mannion.

15. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

i would make sure every year that we sign one less free agent than we lose.
    then, use the compensatory pick every year on a qb.
    sooner or later one has to hit simply by random chance.
    the hoodie got the goat in the 6th round!

16. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

too bad the owner and upper management has not figured that out yet!!!!!!!!!!!

17. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

Just like that guy in NE.....

18. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Brady isn't fast, but he has good footwork and a quick release. Kaaya has neither, if he doesn't improve NFL rushers will eat him alive.