What would Mosley's trade value be?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ouchy, Dec 10, 2020.

1. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Woah. There is NO WAY anybody gives up a first for a linebacker who hasn't played in forever. NO WAY.

The Dark Knight, FJF, Jets79 and 3 others like this.
  2. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Every linebacker in the NFL could suddenly vanish in the offseason and that still wouldn’t happen.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It'd be hard to get a first round pick for a linebacker that's primarily a run stuffer/blitzer before factoring in the fact that he hasn't played in a football eternity.

Add that in with a mix of age, a big contract remaining and a couple of other things and he has very little value.

I don't want to make this political but I do think that players opting out is frowned around the league by some players and certainly franchises. I'm not saying this because of my own personal views. But football is a brotherhood. I could very easily see a locker room and front office staff viewing an opt out as players abandoning that brotherhood and causing a character flag.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  4. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I agree...personally I do frown upon it. Even more so after he signed a huge contract and only played in one game. It’s not his fault he got hurt of course, but still, after missing the entire year, he should have played this year. I don’t know his medical situation, but most every other player is playing....he could have played. He should have played.

5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Here you go thinking like a fan again, and thinking you're the only rational one in the room. You're not looking at it like teams and GMs do.

I didn't say he would only bring a 7th, but I think the idea that he will bring at least a 1st round pick is irrational. When next season begins, Mosley will be 29. He won't have played in two years. That's HUGE for an athlete and especially a football player. We saw what happened with Bell. Some players, can play well into their 30s, but others cannot. Their bodies start breaking down as they near 30. We may have already seen that with Mosley with his missing all of 2019 (except a quarter or two) with a groin injury. He has been in a lot of collisions, and already he wasn't that fast. Coming back after two years, with possibly limited opportunities to get the kind of workout he needs to stay in top shape, he could easily be a shell of the player he was prior to his groin injury. We see that all the time in the NFL, and NFL teams don't pay a lot for those players in trades. It's just too risky. Even when good and very good players haven't been injured and are traded, they often only bring a pick somewhere in the 3rd to 5th round area. Couple that with the facts that a) teams will have much smaller caps next year and some already will have to start releasing players, and b) that Mosley's contract and cap hit in 2022 is huge, so teams would probably wind up only having a one-year rental unless he was willing to re-negotiate his contract, and both the number of teams who will be interested and what they are willing to give will be smaller, perhaps much smaller than what you envision. In addition, it may not sit well with some teams that Mosley sat out this year after missing almost the entire 2019 season. What's to make them think he won't choose to sit out 2021 and get paid or won't suffer another injury and miss much or all of that season?

That said, it only takes one team. No one thought Mac would get what he did for Adams. It is possible that the Jets could get a 1st round pick for Mosley if Douglas decides to trade him, but I don't think it very likely, especially after seeing what happened to Bell after his two year layoff. He hadn't even been injured, and he was slower and didn't have the burst he did with Pittsburgh. Teams just won't know if he will suffer any lingering effects from the groin injury or from not playing the last two seasons, factor in that we could still be dealing with Covid next season and the lower caps, and most likely they won't be willing to give as much as they perhaps normally would.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that he's not that good in coverage, and with quite likely decreased speed, he will become even more of a liability in coverage, and may not make as many plays versus the run, especially if his instincts have dulled after not playing for two years.

#25 NCJetsfan, Dec 11, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
    apjbfc, NYJetsO12 and Jets79 like this.
  6. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Yeah, we definitely don't want players like this on the Jets!

7. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

We do want players like that. But he opted out during a hell season and destroyed his relationship with the locker room. Personally I wish it never happened because he is our best player. (Yet people are now making excuses for why he isn't our best player because of this).

When your best player opts out and leaves everyone else to suffer through the muck they have basically traded themselves.

NYJetsO12 and Jets79 like this.
  8. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

The reason leagues instituted the opt-out choice was over concern for players worrying about their health and their families. If the option has any significance then there should be no consequences for those opting out. I'm not aware of any locker room negativity generated by his decision. And if there were any, it should reflect badly on the Jets locker room and not on Mosely.

9. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Forever was last season. It not like he has missed 4 seasons. Its been less then 2 seasons. Because we feel cheated that he has played so little for us the fan base has become dramatic about how much time he has been off.

Is Khalil Mack known for his pass defense? Mack and Mosley lined up together in the pro bowl more then once. The value Oakland got for him was high end for sure. But you are underselling the value of good LBs - edge or middle.

This is not comparable to Bell. For 5 years Bell was the work horse for the Steelers and had the most touches in the NFL for 2 of them. The reason he sat out was specifically because of the beating he was taking and he wanted a contract before his body gave out. It was also noted that much of his success came from the o'line he had rather then exceptional talent. None of these are issues with Mosley.

Obviously trading Mosley after the layoff would require him working out with the team who is interested. I'm assuming he could impress them enough to show he hasn't lost his groove, If he wants the 40 million on the table, or anything more than his guaranteed money.

Like I mentioned in another post. Jet fans are angry at Mosley and now seem to enjoy under rating his value. At the beginning of this season everyone would have told you he is our best player. But since he sat the season out he is now Joe average. This thread simply asked what his trade value might be and most people immediately acted like they didn't want to acknowledge that he had any value. Or he had next to no value. This is a current fan bias. There are plenty of teams out there hungry for pro bowl starters, especially at 7.5 mil. As a deal maker it depends on how good at selling you are.

Yes there is some baggage with the opt out but a good deal maker overcomes that. Its about matching what you have with the team that needs him, and then convincing them to want what you want. Its sales. We have someone valuable and you could really use him. This is part of JDs job.

Because Jet fans are angry at Mosley that doesn't mean the last anyone knew was that he is a top LB in the league. None of us are in a position to claim Mosley is no longer a top LB. In fact, we need to hope just the opposite.

#29 ouchy, Dec 11, 2020
  10. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

It has to be some of the finest minutes I have ever seen.

apjbfc, FJF and Jets81 like this.
  11. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I don’t see anything even remotely close to a first round pick...I think IF we trade him, we’d be lucky to get a 4th...more likely a 5th. He was a great MLB. He’s not a pass rusher. He’s coming off an injury that cost him an entire season, then took a year off. Who knows what he’ll be when he returns. No team is giving up serious draft assets for that much uncertainty. Just not happening.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Mack is a terrible comparison. Mack is a stud pass rusher. Pass rushers are a premium position and command huge salaries. Mack is worth the first. He’s a game changer.

Mosley not so much. He’s a great MLB, maybe the best in the game when he was at Baltimore. And he showed up big in the 3 quarters he played for us.

but there is way too much risk between the injury and the time off for any team to give up a first.

I’d love it if we could get it, and I’d take that deal in a heartbeat...but it’s not happening

I think we have him cheap next year but super expensive the year after that...though I’m not sure on the specifics...so it’ll be interesting to see what JD does

NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

His best days are likely behind him. By the time the Jets are ready to contend, he might be ready to retire.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

In 3 quarters with us he had 9 tackles, a fumble recovery, and and pick 6. We basically were shutting Buffalo down until he left the game.

I know we are angry at Mosley. The doesn't change the fact that he is a potential game changer.

#34 ouchy, Dec 11, 2020
  15. Jonathan_Vilma

Dude c'mon. You're trying to compare a run stuffing middle linebacker to (at the time) one of the best edge rushers in the league. Look no further than the highest salaries assigned to the two different position groups to understand the massive disparity in positional value between an off the ball linebacker and an edge rusher.

Jets79 and RochesterJet like this.
  16. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Mack got 2 firsts, a third, and a 6th. He is a game changer. So is Mosley.

I'm not suggesting Mosley could get that much.

17. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Mack makes 11.5 million a year. Much less then Mosley was slated to earn this season. He did get more guaranteed money and a larger, longer contract.

How many more excuses can the angry fan base come up with to belittle our assets?

18. Jonathan_Vilma

Dude. Mack signed a 6 year/$141 million contract. Mosely signed a 5 year/$86 million contract. Mosely is also considered to be one of the worst contracts in football.

You have absolutely zero clue of the difference in positional value as you keep making an apple to orange comparison and stick by it as if everyone else is wrong.

https://overthecap.com/position/inside-linebacker/

https://overthecap.com/position/edge-rusher/

Can you spot the difference in these two charts?.

19. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Mack will cost us 19.5 million next year. But the opt out during what may result in a winless season makes him divisive in the locker room so we basically have to trade him.

We carry another 12 million of his guaranteed money so if we trade him the team he goes to gets him for 7.5 million next season. We would have to eat the other 12 million as part of his guarantee. But that makes him a steal for any trade prospect. If we don't trade him this season he will lose that great deal and cost any team trading for him 19.5 million per season. We have to trade him this season.

20. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

Yup you've changed my mind through your excellent supporting details comparing K. Mack to Mosley. I conclude we should net 2 first round choices.

Well done...

apjbfc likes this.