What would it take to restore your faith in Sanchez?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DMarsh6, Aug 15, 2013.

?

Would something similar to this make you want to keep Sanchez?

1. Yes

78.7%
  2. No

21.3%
  1. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

There would be a chance for OPOY and an easy pro bowl bid, don't know who wouldn't sign up for that. I doubt he'll put up those numbers. I see something more like (if he starts all 16 games) 3500 yards, 20 TDs, and 14 picks. Sprinkle in some lost fumbles as well. I definitely wouldn't be upset with a season like that.

2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I'm not sure if I see that, but I'd definitely sign up for it.

I think we'd win 10 games that way. Maybe more. Depending on the situations.

3. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

My hope is that Mornhinweg's offense is effective at getting the ball out Sanchez's hands quickly. I know that is what it is designed to do, but I'll hold judgment until I see a more complex gameplan. Sanchez is at his best when he doesn't have to think very hard. I'm also hoping Sanchez learns how to throw a screen pass in the next three weeks.

Morningwood is Sanchez's last hope at salvaging his career with the Jets.

4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

On this we totally agree. I want to see a stress on weaknesses Mark has always had.

I've seen him execute only a handful of screens successfully.

I've seen him struggle in offenses that require complex reads.

Maybe this is the offense that can play to his strengths.

My only real worry in that dept is that the standard WCO might just be too antiquated for today's sophisticated defensive schemes.

I'm not counting him out. But I'm also not expecting the best.

I guess that makes me a pessimist.

Or maybe it just means I'd like him to surprise me.

5. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

The team had a league high 37 giveaways last year, and i don't think that stat even factors in blocked punts and FG's.

The defense had 23 takeaways, which is average. They need to become more opportunistic as well. Pressuring the QB will help lead to more turnovers.

So the whole team needs to improve this ratio more than anything else. It is that important to our success.

It starts with the QB. Sanchez accounted for 26 turnovers in 14.5 games.
    He would need half the turnovers or better, improved recognition of defenses, an improvement in completion percentage, and ability to hit receivers in stride.
    If he does all that, he earns opportunity to compete with Smith again next year (if we don't trade his salary first). It's a tall order, but its possible.

6. NJBeliever

NJBeliever Active Member

He threw 13 tds last year. I mean, that's beyond embarrassing.

If he somehow turned into a Pro bowl level QB? Sure I'd think we could win with him. I just don't see that happening.

7. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

I truely hope Sanches becomes the next Smith. 49er fans once talked about Smith in the same way most Jet fans complian about Sanchez, but after many years of poor play, Smith has become a top 15 QB.

Any QB that can top tops 4000 yards and has a 2/1 TD/Int or better is a true starter and worth keeping.

8. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

It would take him not turning the ball over for the first 5 games and throwing 9 Tds

9. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

Fixed it for ya

10. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

I'd take that too. It would be his best season as a Jet. His 2012 stats were similar to his rookie season, so in some ways he's started over. Especially considering he's in a QB competition.

Think of this way, Geno would have to do a lot more to unseat him. We win all around.

11. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

yes if the kid hits 4,000 yard 30+ TD and less than 15 picks of course I'd want to move forward with him...

12. SackExchange69

SackExchange69 Well-Known Member

His TD's would have to be over 25 and turnovers (INT and fumbles lost) would have to be under 10 for me to want the team to move on with him.

13. laxin

laxin Active Member

Ryan Fitzpatrick's numbers last year:

3400 yards, 24 TDs, 16 INTs, 60%.

Its sad that it has come to the point where many of us would be happy with less production than what Ryan Fitzpatrick had last year.

14. DMarsh6

DMarsh6 Active Member

Damn, that's nuts. I didn't know that was the kind of season he had. This is the definition of mediocre in my opinion but I thought he had a brutal season at least based on the games I saw he had vs us.

15. NYJet87

NYJet87 Active Member

I've said it before, but I really think he could (COULD) have a serviceable career ahead of him. Just not in New York. Another city and team could really pay dividends for him I think.

Even if he were to put up decent numbers this year, he's still one bad mistake away from getting booed off the field. He's always going to be, unless he does something big to make us forget about the reckless/careless play he'll always be capable of.

16. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Numbers are only part of the equation that is what Junc keeps saying but nobody is willing to budge off of their perception.

Mark will be judged on numbers, wins and not making dumb mistakes. Mark collapsed mentally after the Pats game last year and that is when the INTs sky rocketed before that it was fumbles. He needs to stop the fumbles and prove he won't break down mentally.

If that happens he will have a good season will the Jets win maybe but he will be judged he is a factor in the wins and not a reason they lost (Turnovers) that is how I will judge Mark.

17. DMarsh6

DMarsh6 Active Member

I really think you're right about him being successful somewhere else. I think if he played for Arizona with their receiving corps and defense he could have some success. It just amazes me how he can go from what he was in 2010 (I'll never forget that Texans game where more than half the stadium was empty and he hits Braylon down the sides and very next play fade to Santonio in the corner of the EZ) to where he was last year (pretty much every game outside of week 1).

18. laxin

laxin Active Member

People understand that numbers are only part of the equation. Just like team statistics are only part of the equation- something Junc doesnt understand.

I understand QB is the most important position on the field, but it is the only position in sports where team statistics seems to hold so much weight. No one measures a RB's ability on the amount of wins his team has or if he won a SB or not. If that was the case, MJD would be considered bad. No one will ever bring up a SB ring when talking about Ray Rice. Same goes for every other position except for QB.

19. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

Exactly. Too many people just don't seem to fully realize how good this team would really become if it were suddenly equipped with merely competent quarterback play.

#119 slimjasi, Aug 16, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  20. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

You can't be serious

We know how good we'll be with good QB play

Sanchez is not that QB

Some people don't realize that even at his best we can't win a SB with him