What we've learned from this game.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NDmick, Oct 9, 2011.

1. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Considering intelligent threads are never started after games, let's try one.

The running game - Its truly amazing what Nick Mangold means to this OL, and the offense overall. Its nice to see the running game return, at the behest of Rex Ryan. If they can build on this, they'll have a lead and be able to keep it.

The passing game - Its amazing what a little time in the pocket can do. The Jets had a bad 1st quarter, but it picked up for the rest of the game. Dropped passes have to stop, it seems that there is always a drop that kills a drive, and its going to kill this team.

The offense has to stop going 3 and out so many times. The offense has to fix that. I know what you emotional fans are going to say "Schotty sucks!" We geit it, you know where I stand. Just calm the fuck down for 5 seconds and have a discussion.

What was done well was the fact that they did use the middle of the field more, and they used the seams, which is Sanchez's favorite place to throw. It was nice to see that return. I think it has a lot to do with a pocket actually forming.

The defense - They got tired at the end of the game, but that's due to the offense putting them on the field constantly. The run defense was good until the end, and then they didn't have the right personnel in and they were gassed. The pass defense was okay, but Eric Smith can be exposed in coverage as we saw, especially since he's a SS and the Jets need a real FS to cover the deep part of the field. If Pool can learn the defense the way he should, he'll see more time.

Special Teams - McKnight, once again, proves why he's a football player. The coverage was good minus the Welker return on the punt. Conley is okay, but not a special punter.

This is a simple game complicated by coaches. If the offense can be not shit, then the defense get more of a rest and not falter late in the game. You could see they were tired.

Hopefully this is a game to build upon with ground and pound, and if they go back to who the fuck they are in terms of identity, then this team should be 4-3 before the bye week.

This team should never lose sight of who they are ever again. A running team predicated on good defense and winning field position with Special Teams.

Even though they lost to a division rival, who hasn't lost at home in 4 years, to a HOF QB who no one seems to have an answer for, there is a lot of good to look at with this game.

8 threads on "Fire Schotty" and "The defense sucks" doesn't get anyone anywhere. You retards.

2. jets2884

jets2884 Active Member

You said the running game is back on track and besides a first qtr our passing offense stepped up. Yet you go on to say that our offense was shit.

Which is it? You seem to be trying to keep everyone level headed which is cool because I do agree the posts do get a little outrageous after losses but it almost seems like you are trying to convince yourself that Schotty isnt the problem.

As far as our defense goes, I do agree if they ever got a breather we would be alright.

#2 jets2884, Oct 9, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
  3. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

The offense should've been "ballin'" against the worst defense (statistically) in the league.

They weren't.

7 three and outs? c'mon.

4. milo

milo Well-Known Member

(Attempted) Intelligent griping about the offense...

It was great to see the running game starting to look good again, and Mangold should re-negotiate after this game because he's THAT goddamn important. Kerley flashed some good things and overall I thought Nacho played decently.

Now for the bad:

I have never been in the reactionary "Fire Schotty" crowd, but one thing we learned today is that for the first time in this coaching regime there are cracks in the offensive philosophy coming from the locker room. Whether the receivers all said something or not is irrelevant. The fact that it's even a rumor reeks of divisions emerging.

Let's face it, how many of us for a long time now watch a game that by the end of the first quarter we have 60 total yards and no points and just go "good first quarter's over. now we can start playing."

We've become almost conditioned to accept that this offense only shows up for three quarters a game, and THAT I lay squarely at the feet of Schotty. Everyone in the NFL scripts their first 10-15 plays based on film/prep during the week. So every week Schotty comes out the gate with his well researched, well thought out book report of an offense and EVERY FUCKING WEEK it gets a D-

I'm not going to say it totally excuses the defense laying an egg on a fourth quarter drive, and sometimes they do overcome the "gassing" and step up to make the big stop.

But how many times should they have to?

5. UncleTomNYJ

UncleTomNYJ Active Member

/////////clap clap clap

6. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

The offense showed signs that it's not as bad as it was earlier this season, but 7 3-and-outs is inexcusable.

We had 2.5 drives where the offense was productive, and we scored TDs on all of them (counting the 20-yd drive as half a drive). Every other drive was either a 3-and-out, or the last drive of the game when New England was in prevent.

The running game was better, but it couldn''t have been worse. Same for the passing game.

We had 255 total yards of offense against statistically the worst defense in the league.

I agree with you that if the offense isn't shitty, we'll do better. But what does that mean? This is the 5th game of the year, and the offense has been awful for the vast majority of the season.

7. SienaSaints

SienaSaints Well-Known Member

I totally agree with this. For a team that is playing like absolute dogshit right now to only lose by 9 to a great offensive team is pretty damn good.

It will take time for the O-Line to gel but the running game looked so much better today with Mangold back. Clearly there was a reason why Collin Baxter was not drafted and we really missed Thor. You cannot have Mangold come back and expect the team to be playing at midseason form.

The defense played pretty good also against Tom Brady who is the best quarterback in the league.

The inconsistent playcalling on offense killed us. If the team would stop killing itself on drives by throwing it on first down when a run should be called and calling plays that allow for no rhythm the team will be fine.

We are 2-3 after 5 games the season is not over yet. There is too much talent for this team not to succeed. How many of you realistically expected us to beat them today after the shitshow in Baltimore last week? All in all they played decent and will only get better.

8. NJJ_Jersey_Jets

NJJ_Jersey_Jets Well-Known Member

14 first downs. 14. None in the first quarter

9. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

I agree with much of this, especially about the overreaction threads and posts around here.

But saying Shittenheimer sucks is NOT an overreaction or overstatement. I know you are on board with the Shotty is garbage train, and I really don't think it can be said enough. The guy is a freaking embarrassment.

Facing the worst defense in the NFL and you have that many 3 and outs? How many balls did they throw down field past 10 yards before the 4th quarter? 0? 1? Maaaaybe 2? It's a joke. And people can say "Oh it's on Sanchez", but I really don't think that's the case at all. Sanchez has been screwed with mentally over and over and over by this incompetent OC at this point. He's just carrying out the plays he's being drilled with all week. They want those 3 and 4 yard safe passes, and it's a freaking joke.

How many times can one offense have a 3rd and 6 and do a 4 yard route?

10. The Notorious J.E.T.S

The Notorious J.E.T.S Well-Known Member

I learned that this team is a fucking train wreck, yet every player being interviewed keeps saying they are happy with the improvements they made. What the fuck?

11. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Tough day. Good thread though. I agree with most of what you said. Just gotta get back on track at home vs. Miami and SD. Win both before the bye at 4-3 then huge divisional games again in Buffalo and vs. NE.

12. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

while i agree, we had lots of positive, this is the worst d in the league, missing Mayo for christs sake. So the question becomes can we do it against an even average NFL defense? Because the last 3 weeks we sure as hell havent been able to do so.

13. k311

k311 Member

Time of Possession: NYJ: 26:05 Patriots: 33:55

34 minutes to 26 minutes. That stat says all you need to know about the offense, this game, why the defense couldn't hold and why we only put 21 points on the board against the league's worst defense.

Anyone have the stat for average yards gained on first down? That really murdered our chances at winning this football game. Damn near every first down was a run up the middle for no gain. Like clockwork. Everyone under the sun saw it coming.

Now look at the drives:

[​IMG]

Every drive that wasn't sustained (besides the one where we started at their 25, thanks special teams) was under 1:40 and resulted in a punt. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that and average rest time for the defense of under 1:30 on the game clock isn't going to hold up well over 4 quarters.

These stats speak for themselves. I don't have to make up why I think Schottenheimer sucks, it's in the numbers.

14. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

I feel like I just saw a rerun of last year's AFC Championship game.

15. AarontheJet

AarontheJet Active Member

D-? The guy deserves a fucking F.

We ran the ball well today because they actually put the ball in Greene's hands for once. He hasn't ran the ball this much all season and this game he was actually allowed to get into a rhythm and do damage. The passing offense sucked shit of course, Sanchez was skittish, everyone was dropping passes, and the playcalling was utter fucking shit.

I wish Schottenheimer played to our strengths in the passing game, but it doesn't seem he ever will in his tenure here.

I basically agree with the OP though. We can build off of this loss, but I don't think it's likely.

16. laxin

laxin Active Member

Where was Dustin Keller today? When we win, he does well and when he does well we win. IDK how we dont target him more, it just baffles me.

And how many 5 yard button hooks are going to be called on 3 and 7, its just disgusting. I truly do not get it

Our defense played well except for a few plays and the end of the game is not on the defense, its on the offenses 7 three and outs.

We had a decent passrush for the most part, but i was disappointed in the run D.

Also...the referee calling was absolutely atrocious for the 3rd week in a row, countless drives were extended bc of "illegal contact" of guys tripping over there own feet or a little bit of a bump, just terrible

17. klecko73

klecko73 Guest

The issue with Schottenheimer is simple: he is great at building an offensive scheme and developing the QB BUT he stinks at game-day situational playcalling and making adjustments. I am sure he would be fine only as a QB coach and that is probably the highest level of his competence. He, much like Hackett was, are in over their heads and I am afraid that we missed the window with some team being stupid enough to hire him as their HC.

Unfortunately, I don't think Rex has the balls to fire him or strip his playcalling duties and turn it over to Callahan. I would love to see the Jets promote Callahan to OC as Callahan has a similar offensive mindset to what Rex is looking for - remember when this guy coached the Raiders, he called run plays 20 consecutive times against us when Herm was clueless and we couldn't stop the run with that "bowling ball with knives."

Now, as not to be accused of throwing in just another BS "fire Schott" post, I have several reasons why Schotty's situational play-calling are bad. First, the one thing he doesn't do is gameplan around Mark's strengths enough. Sanchez plays his best when he is at that 3-step drop frenetic pace. He excels when he can throw those quick slants to a big WR or seam passes to Keller. I think we see that when he is late in the game when the Jets move into a hurry-style spread attack. The offense, by necessity, becomes simplified with less pre-snap movement or audibles. The Jets simply transition to the "execute" phase of their offense vice trying to always "fool" the defense. That is where Schotty has hurt Sanchez - in trying to always find the PERFECT PLAY TO FOOL THE DEFENSE, he has over-complicated the scheme to the hindrance of the QB.

There are rarely PERFECT plays in a football game - perhaps a couple a game. At the end of the day the OC has to worry less about calling a perfect play and more about calling a good play that has perfect execution. Consequently, Schotty is unnecessarily overwhelming Sanchez and really taking away from his strengths as a quick strike rhythm passer. IF any of you dive, we use the expression "task loading" to explain what happens when you add too much to routine and leads to failure. That is what we have with Schotty.

18. laxin

laxin Active Member

And all in all, kyle wilson is playing better than cromartie...im pretty sure he hasnt had more than maybe 3 bad plays all year

19. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

I stopped reading after that part to just ask.. ummm... what?

(I'll read the rest of the post now, but that beginning part startled me)

20. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Don't forget that the 5:43 drive came at the end of the game. By then the D was shot. If you took the time of possession from before that point, it was probably much worse.