What was Belicheat thinking?

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by 85inthehall, Nov 15, 2009.

1. DisgruntledLionFan

DisgruntledLionFan Active Member

At least the decision to go for it last night has some logic to it.

I'm still trying to figure out why he went for it in the ATL game on his own 24 with a 16-10 lead in the 3rd Q.

2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

This is an example of the Pats not being able to back up Belichick's enormous ego. I loved it.

3. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

LMAO....I do that when I can't get passed a level on a videogame :lol:

4. TheBlairThomasFumble

TheBlairThomasFumble Active Member

Pats hate aside, are you fucking kidding me? The Pats thug employee just threw the NFL Films cameraman to the ground.

If that doesn't earn a fine, then Goodell is owned and paid for by Kraft.

5. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

They weren't clicking all that well in the entire game, Manning threw 2 ints and they had to punt a number of times, the percentages easily favor punting the ball

6. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Did you even watch the game? The question is easy to answer.

The Colts previous three Drives were:

1:59 TOP, 5 Plays, 79 Yards = TD
    0:00 TOP, 1 Play, 0 yards = INT
    1:44 TOP, 6 Plays, 79 Yards = TD

He had no faith in his D to stop the Colts. Two fast TD drives wraped around a bad throw by manning. The Pats D is facing injurys and has lost a good deal of talent over the last few years. They are not the unit they have been in the past.

Thier offense on the other hand has been clicking on all cylinders of late. I applauded the decision to go for it, maybe not the play call, but the decision was the right one. He let his best unit, lead by a HOF caliber QB and possibly two HOF caliber recivers, try to win the game. They failed.

7. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

In the 4th QTR they had 158 yards, 2 TD's and a pick in under 4 mins with the ball. The Pats D had no answer for manning in the 4th except on the bad throw by him.

8. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

I only wish the Jets coaching staff would win us a couple super bowls and then start with the making stupid decisions.

9. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

Exactly. How many times has Manning driven down the field with 2:00+ min left in the game? It really wasn't a bad decision.

10. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

No doubt.

Whats the easiest way to stop Payton Manning? Keep him on the bench. If Faulk does not bobble the pass Every sports outlet in the nation is talking about what a genious he is today.

11. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

So instead you go with a situation that only works 40% of the time (about the equivalent of a two point conversion success rate)? what is the point of even thinking that you are a quality team if you think that you can't stop a team from scoring a TD from 70 yards away with less than 2 mins left?

You only selectively selected the 4th quarter however including the earlier part of the game it wasn't nearly the lock that you are making it seem.

12. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Bring up the statistic of number of times Manning has been in that situation and failed and I bet you it is a lot higher than you make it seem, Everyone remembers the times when they succeed but no one remember the times when it was failed.

13. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Here is the other problem, you have all these weapons and you go with Kevin Faulk???? No matter how you spin it, it was stupid, also if he was going to go for it, why not run it twice on 3rd and 4th down against a team with a weak ass run defense

14. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

In a word, Momentum. The Colst had it and the apts did not. I know I've had both feelings, where the otehr team could not stop us and where we jsut could not beat another team. It affects players and coaches alike. The Colts offense had all the Momentum in the world, the Pats Defense did not.

Beli knew if he gained 2 yards the game was over. The Colts have proved they could drive 80 yards in under two mins on his defense. Whats the use of thinking your an all world offense if you can not gain the two yards when you need it? He let his best players try to win the game for him and they did not. Though I do agree going to Faulk was silly. He put the game in the hands of the unit he trusted the most and they failed.

As for your stats, I don't think they are all that accurate. Where did you get them from?

I found one site that delves into them a bit:
    http://www.advancednflstats.com/2009/11/belichicks-4th-down-decision-vs-colts.html

Don't have time to look up a ton, but I belive there are extensive reports on the 4th down % and how often going for it on 4th and 2 or less is converted.

15. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

while the stats vary for the most part 2 point conversions which is the equivalent to the same situation was from 40-50% and that I've seen from numerous sources. But here is my main point, if he planned it from the beginning to go 4 downs on any situations that's one thing and I guarantee you he wouldn't of had tried to pass it on 3rd down, he did the gamble on a spur of the moment hunch that Manning may score and had to burn his last timeout, his initial thought was wrong and he compounded the problem with his indecision and made Manning job 1000 times easier in the process

And momentum means garbage or we would be 5-4 right now every drive has different circumstances that we can not predetermine. (Like if they punted and Indy gets a penalty on the offensive series would significantly hurt Manning's chance of a comeback.)

16. Antoni

Antoni Well-Known Member

It's not always as crazy as it sounds. In the "long run" it can actually get you more points and wins, it's just most coaches either have no concept of game theory or some, like Belichick, do but don't have the reputation he does in case it fails. Belichick is getting a ton of heat for last night even with his reputation, imagine if it was someone like Norv Turner who did it? I think it was the right call

There's a 4 page story here that explains the reasoning behind the madness here http://www.advancednflstats.com/2009/09/4th-down-study-part-1.html

#56 Antoni, Nov 16, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
  17. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I believe it was 4th and a foot, much easier to get then a 4th and 2

18. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

he's a genius if he makes it and an idiot if he doesn't, which goes to show that the issue isn't whether he went for it or not just that he didn't make it.

I liked the call, and still do. it didn't work out, oh well.

19. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

You don't need that here is a simple stat 4/13 or 31% of the time that Indy scored a TD in that game prior to the decision, even in the 4th quarter Manning threw an INT, what is the point of going with that kind of risk when your D has stopped them most of the game? And I need something better then oh Manning proved that he can drive down the field when the drive before Manning threw an awful interception.

If Manning was playing like a madman I'd reconsider but it wasn't the case he was playing pretty average in that game

20. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

no it is more that he was an idiot for doing it no matter the outcome but was just bailed out for it if he had succeeded