What veteran free agents remaining do you want to sign?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsGoFar, Apr 26, 2020.

1. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I'd prioritize QB, WR and K. Veteran QB is number one though. I don't see Fales or Morgan as quality backup options and think this position is still a gaping hole. I think it's likely Douglas adds somebody here. Fortunately, there are plenty of options available still. Flacco could be a good choice.

Since Demaryius Thomas was decent last year and familiar with Darnold and the system, he'd be a reasonable resign. However, if by chance it becomes likely that Enunwa is able to return (doubting that, unfortunately), might feel this need a bit a less.

I think signing a vet kicker to compete with Maher and Ficken would make sense. Maybe they can carry this through into TC and see how they each look, but not feeling too good about these two. Gostkowski is available.

OLB and CB are reasonable, but would like to see the younger players that they have get a first chance to play. I don't want to get too high on Bryce Hall, but sounds like if he's healthy, he's at least a Day 2 talent so letting him compete with Bless Austin and Maulet for a starting spot is feasible. If there's any doubts though, an vet outside CB should be brought in.

2. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I have a hard time seeing that as a trade the Panthers would be down for, but aside from that Samuel is in the final year of his rookie deal. It means we’re trading a pick for a player that will immediately be a FA or require a contract. I would rather accrue draft capital for Williamson than package him in a trade that we would also be surrendering capital. I suppose I would do it for a 6th rounder or less maybe. I just don’t foresee the Panthers losing a young guy after using zero draft picks on offense this year.

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Samuel is only 23. If we were going to trade for him, why wouldn't we want to sign him to a new, longer contract? Besides, he has one more year left on his rookie deal, so he wouldn't immediately need a new contract. The Jets could see how he performed the first several games and extend him mid-season, or wait until the end of this season, and sign him long term.

I have never understood why the rumors about Samuel possibly being available started anyway. His stats aren't all that good, but he's young, had questionable QB play to deal with and maybe some injuries, as I see he hasn't started or played in every game, but has still been one of the Panthers' top receivers. The Panthers aren't shopping him. Teams have called them. It's not like the Panthers are loaded at WR, either. They have DJ Moore, Robby Anderson, Seth Roberts, and several young WRs I've never heard of.

I can see why the Panthers wouldn't want to trade Samuel, but that said, the Panthers are re-making their D. They lost a leader in Kuechly. Williamson could step in and be a good veteran leader in the middle of their defense and help establish the culture there under Rhule.

4. DefenseWinsChampionships

5. DefenseWinsChampionships

Markus Golden.

Former 2nd round draft pick.

Released by NYG.

Outside Linebacker.

10.0 sacks last year.

The most sacks from an NYG LB since dating back to Lawrence Taylor (of 1990).

12.5 sacks with Arizona (2016).

He should be a Jet already (yesterday) and he'll become worth more than any comp pick NYG receives from us; because he went after Devin Smith 2015 and is deserving of a comp pick at a position of weakness (outside pass rush).

He's another SEC Dog.

He can play both 3-4 DE and 3-4 OLB he's perfect for Gregg Williams.

Quinnen Williams (SEC).
    Jamal Adams (SEC).
    Jordan Jenkins (SEC).
    Markus Golden (SEC).
    Zuniga (SEC).

Out of nowhere and all of a sudden we'll have a whole bunch of SEC pass rushers; everywhere.

6. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

We should bring back Beachum and Demerius T. for depth if they'll do cheap.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  7. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

For sure Golden and/or Clowney.

An actual backup QB too. Would love someone like Matt Moore buttttttt I'm pretty sure our HC puts a damper on that one, sigh.