What veteran free agents remaining do you want to sign?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsGoFar, Apr 26, 2020.

1. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

This is all that was needed and folk would most likely nod their head and agree fully but nope lists are required at all times.

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

They have a CS to teach technique. Some veteran players are gracious enough to help young players and give them tips, others are not. Just because we had another veteran doesn't mean that he would help the youngsters.

There will be plenty of competition. At RB, the young RBs have Bell to learn from and there are 5 of them competing for 2-3 spots on the roster. That's plenty of competition. The problem with an older vet is that there often times is no real competition. Either the CS just hands him the job as part of his agreeing to sign, or because of his experience, he is head and shoulders above the young, inexperienced players. Especially with RBs, they have to be able to spot and pick up blitzes, they have to know the offense. Veterans have a huge advantage over rookies and young players.

The same goes at CB. They have Pierre Desir as a veteran. Quincy Wilson has three years experience in basically the same type of coverage scheme that the Jets use. That's why Douglas traded the last 6th round pick for him. Poole is a veteran. Bless Austin has a year's experience now. The #1 CB job is almost certainly Desir's. It's his job to lose. There will be wide open competition between Wilson, Austin, Hall, Hairston and Maulet for the #2 spot. That's plenty.

You don't want to have too many players competing as it lessens the number of reps and snaps each gets. With young players learning technique, the system, and adjusting to the speed of the NFL, the more reps they can get the better.

The problem at K is the competition is between two players who aren't that good. The same goes for the backup QB spot (a rookie and two players who aren't very good). At WR there are more players, with more experience, but still the level of skill is less than desirable.

3. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Our depth at OT, CB, backup QB, WR, and OLB is all lacking.
    Have to keep looking to build depth and competition.

Logan Ryan in particular is someone I’m still interested in.

4. K'OB

How many more CB's do you want? It feels like there is at least 8 already lol

Same at WR tbh we could possibly do with 1 vet but we will need to see what the UFA's have in their locker before signing more than 1 WR and again at OT surely we addressed that position already?

5. UK jet

UK jet Member

Anyone know how much cap space we have left?

6. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I am with the sentiment of not spending money on a 1 year vet that will not be part of the future. I would rather save and put that money into resigning our own players long term. One of the advantages in signing a guy like Logan on a 1 year deal was his versatility. He could play slot if Poole went down or outside. Drafting Ashytn Davis allows us more flexibility there as he can play slot pr nickel and decreases the need to spend on Logan for a year.

K'OB and NCJetsfan like this.
  7. K'OB

sixpence

chandler likes this.
  8. UK jet

UK jet Member

Should be enough to resign Beachum then

K'OB and The Dark Knight like this.
  9. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Funny you bring up Beachum. I thought he was the best player on the o-line in 2019. Surprising he has not been signed by anyone in the league. He has value.

10. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Logan Ryan
    Demaryius Thomas
    Imagine what Gregg Williams could get out of Clowney

The Dark Knight likes this.
  11. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

The Jets had a really easy schedule in 2019. That helped them get to 7 wins. 2020 is looking to be much tougher.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  12. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

Honestly the only thing I add is a kicker and possibly a QB if we have a cheap veteran choice. All our other pos6have a nice blend if vet and young talent. OLB is a but questionable but I'm hopeful on the new kid playing across from Jenkins. CB is full and I'm hoping Hall and Jackson both make the team. WR is Full and I'm hopeful on our UDFA there as well. We have ALOT if young talent that could easily be solid contributors. The oline is better. Honestly I think we are better everywhere except kicker.

K'OB likes this.
  13. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

People point that out, but they don't factor in the Patriots games are now winnable, the Jets still lost 9 games, including 4 to start the season when Sam had mono, so you can't simply say the schedule is tougher. If the Jets went (12-4) last year, that argument makes sense, but at (7-9) it does not factor as much. At least to me. It would if the 2019 Jets were playing the 2020 Jets schedule, but that is not the case. The team will be much different.

NYJetsO12, Attackett, dmw and 2 others like this.
  14. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Exactly! Every team will be different, especially the bad teams.

We lost games to crappy teams and won games against the Steelers, Bill and Cowboys. If we had gone 7 and 9 with 2 wins over Miami, a win against Cleveland, Cincinnati, Jacksonville along with the win against the Skins and Giants its an argument. We got 3 of our 7 wins against reasonably good teams and 4 of our 9 losses against crappy teams.

It's a matchup league where the matchups are vastly different every year.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  15. matt robinson 17

J-Raw24 likes this.
  16. K'OB

A 'good' kicker

J-Raw24 and matt robinson 17 like this.
  17. matt robinson 17

For a change @K'OB

K'OB likes this.
  18. UK jet

UK jet Member

Harry Kane?

K'OB likes this.
  19. 88toon

88toon Well-Known Member

Important to note that today after 4:00pm, any FAs signed don't count against the compensatory formula. So while we aren't expecting a huge amount of signings or even a splash signing, we could be surprised by an add in the coming days. Joe D came from Baltimore which mastered the art of compensatory picks and the timing of Fa signings.

NYJetsO12, Attackett and BonScott like this.
  20. K'OB

Have you seen him taking corners :eek:

Though I do believe Clive Allen had a go at it years and years back.

Edit sorry that was the London Monarchs lol

UK jet likes this.