What trades will the Jets make in the 2020 off-season?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by dmw, Nov 5, 2019.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

If Douglas is the GM we all hope he is, this happens at some point before the 2020 draft.

dmw likes this.
  2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

those were subtractions, not additions.

3. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Douglas has talked a good game so far. He believes the team MUST be strong in the trenches (OL and DL) and he believes that players have to have more than just talent and must be driven to improve themselves. E.g., he would NOT have drafted Jachai Polite, who said he had never seen himself on film!

Also, what good is it to have a top safety, if you have no pass rush! It's more important to have a pass rush.

What good is it to have a franchise QB and top running back if your OL can't block anyone?

The lines should be a top priority and the d-line is strong on the interior, but weak on the outside. The OL is just plain horrible.

Look at the Eagles. They won the SB with a backup QB b/c they had strong lines.

rscherwin and mrjet80 like this.
  4. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I would think that Adams is the most likely to be dealt this offseason as he would net a significant return that can really help to expedite the rebuild.

I think Joe D would trade Bell in a nano second if he could bring back a healthy return but don’t see that as very likely.

Everyone else is likely either untouchable(Darnold, Mosley, Herndon) or not very good and would bring no return(everyone else)

dmw likes this.
  5. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Revis yeah because Idzik was GM. But Abraham got us Mangold (who was a Jet long after Abraham retired) and Keshawn got us Abraham and Becht. Keshawn won a SB in Tampa, but he flamed out soon afterward. So in the short term those trades were subtractions (though I don't think they stopped us from winning a SB, Tampa was loaded even without Keshawn). But thanks to Mangold, we benefitted from them for over a decade.

NCJetsfan and FJF like this.
  6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

true but the original post, not by me, suggested that the Jets don't have balls enough to trade for marquee players, and instead focus on, in his words "destroying the franchise one draft pick at a time"

so bringing up times when the Jets traded away talented players for draft picks only confirms his argument. it doesn't prove him wrong. There has been very few times when the Jets have elected to move draft picks for talented, marquee players.. aka. "additions."

I can think of a couple times in the past when the Jets have had balls to do that. But its been many years and in recent years we've seen many elite players get traded for draft picks to other teams with our Jets sitting and watching it all happen

7. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

He made the claim of not making blockbuster deals as proof they wouldn’t trade Adams for picks. So my examples are perfect to counter his argument.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I can easily see Adams being traded. He should net a good return in a trade, and in a strong, deep draft at positions of need (OL and WR), Douglas can make great use of the additional picks. While I wouldn't be surprised if Anderson is traded, I also wouldn't be surprised if he is re-signed, and as long as it's for a reasonable deal, I hope that he is. Trading Anderson would just create another hole at WR. As it is, Enunwa won't likely be back, neither will Bellamy unless it's just as a STer and #5 WR. Trading Anderson would leave Sam with one WR he has familiarity with, Crowder, and would mean that Douglas would have to add 3 WRs. That's nuts.

I would be surprised if Bell was traded and hope that he isn't. One, I don't think the optics would be good, even if Douglas isn't the one who signed Bell in FA. Two, Bell has been a great Jet, has given it his all, and has been a leader. Douglas will be bringing in a lot of young players over the next 2-3 seasons and trying to establish a winning culture. Bell would be excellent at helping show the rookies the way to prepare and carry themselves. He is preaching patience for the rebuild and seems content with being here and helping the Jets turn things around. I don't know of too many big name players who wouldn't be concerned with their stats, unhappy and looking to move. I think Bell will be perfect to help Sam, be a leader in the locker room and in establishing the right professional attitude/work ethic, and give the team some stability and respectability over the next couple of seasons. I wasn't in favor of signing him initially, but I am glad that we did. I don't think we could get value for him. That said, if Douglas gets the right offer, I wouldn't be horribly upset if we did trade him. Good RBs can be found throughout the draft, and many rookie RBs can come in and start day one as long as they're capable and willing blockers and can pick up blitzers. They may not offer the leadership or versatility that Bell does, but if we re-sign Montgomery, then we should be OK at RB, and could use the picks we get for Bell to fill other holes.

#28 NCJetsfan, Nov 6, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
    rscherwin, dmw and chandler like this.
  9. Donttasemebro

Donttasemebro Well-Known Member

Fire Gase, hire a new HC and then trade everything that isn't nailed down and invest the capital in the O-line

Anderson
    Adams
    Bell
    Crowder
    Herndon?

10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I mean. Trade any receiver or offensive threat we have on our team? Trading Crowder and Herndon is so counter productive. Anderson can't be traded as he's a free agent and by not moving him at the deadline I'd imagine he'll be re-signed.

Are you going to play receiver for us if we deal the entire offense?

FJF likes this.
  11. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

But football economics.... :)

12. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

I think anything, everything and everyone is on the table. I know trades can happen at the Super Bowl so come February 1 I think we'll hear rumors about Jamal Adams. Teams that have good defenses and need a special player to push them over the top will be the most interested. I look at Houston (don't think they have enough to get him), KC, Seattle, Green Bay (though I think their safeties are good) teams like that will be willing to part with a first rounder and more for him. Sp February and if not at Super Bowl just before or the beginning of free agency I expect him to be gone.

Then I think free agency will play out before we use other chips we may or may not have to trade for more draft picks or help on the line, at wr, cb or olb. I don't see many trades to bring anyone in. It'll be more to trade pieces for more draft picks. Adams is our best piece maybe a Marcus Maye beyond that not sure who we have signed long term that could get us a return.

I also expect depending on where we are drafting and how many picks and all to trade back and trade back a few times to amass picks for this year 2020 as well as next year 2021. This year we have so many holes to fill that I couldn't tell you what we would pick until after free agency. I don't expect Douglas to make a big splash. I expect him to sign players in their 5th year who have started games but because of other players or situations weren't necesarily starters. Isaac Seumalo is a perfect example. 4th year Eagle tackle. Started the Super Bowl. backup now. Good player but not great. Started has experience. Probably middle of the level tackle. Better than what we have. Players like this will be Douglas's signings and these are the ones I think will make the team. Another example of who I wanted last offseason but the Bucs signed him was Shaq Barrett. Played behind Von Miller and Chubb. These are the type of players the Jets need. Good player who can contribute. In the right situation be coached up, fit a scheme and play well. As usual only time for Jet fans to be excited. I say this every year but with a new coach and players and the right draft choices I believe we can be in a good situation. Our only hope is Douglas and that he knows what he is doing. Please end the playoff drought and the curse that is on the Jets.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Are you suggesting keeping or trading those players? If the latter, that's just nuts, imo. You have to have a corps to build around; otherwise, we're talking a 5-6 year rebuild here. Adams, and maybe Bell, I get, but definitely not the others. You're going to leave Sam without one single WR with which he has familiarity/chemistry? Are you trying to cause him to bust?

14. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

ah, OK

15. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

The New York Jets do not have a franchise quarterback.

16. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

this is correct

17. Donttasemebro

Donttasemebro Well-Known Member

What do i know...just a casual fan and I totally get what you're saying but I am saying trade them if you can get good value not for a "bag of footballs".

They have no line so their QB, RB and receivers are less likely to have an impact. Further, if your head coach is an absolute loser like gase i'm not sure the skill players matter as much.

All together it feels like you need load up on draft capital and the only way to do that is to decide who/what you're building around and unload whatever you can for that draft capital as aggressively as you can. I feel like a halfway rebuild is worse than just tearing it all down and loading up on max draft picks.

I could be wrong. *shrug*

gase is trash. johnson's are trash. jets are trash. burn it all down.

when's the draft?

18. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I'm starting to sway towards moving Bell & Adams. If it means we can go into the draft with 8 picks in the first 4 rounds this year I'm down. Resign Robby. Maybe bring another vet WR and beef up the OL. I wouldn't even be mad if they went OL with 3 of those first 4 picks/signed Castonzo from Indy.

19. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Agree with this part.

20. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

I think the point he was making is that the Jets, on occasion, have made some ballsy moves with players they would supposedly never traded. However, all the trades except Revis actually turned out quite well.

Keyshawn got us John Abraham and Anthony Becht. In addition, we picked up Laveranues Coles in the 3rd round that year too, and he turned out to be a better receiver than Keyshawn.

John Abraham got us Nick Mangold.

Where the Revis trade went wrong is that they used their pick to continue their annual tradition of ignoring positions of need and drafting yet another defensive lineman they didn't need.