What to do with the 1st Round Pick?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JETS1116, Jan 25, 2010.

?

What to do with the 1st Round Pick?

1. Outside Linebacker

13 vote(s)
    8.6%
  2. Defensive End

63 vote(s)
    41.4%
  3. Cornerback

48 vote(s)
    31.6%
  4. Wide Receiver

15 vote(s)
    9.9%
  5. Other

13 vote(s)
    8.6%
  1. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

SUPER FAIL. Dude, you're giving Don a run for his money...

Mount Cody is the perfect nose tackle. He's big, strong, and explosive. The kid controls the line of scrimmage on almost every play.

Dan Williams out of Tennessee is flying up boards because he's a little more athletic than Cody.

Both guys are going to have conditioning and motor concerns, but when you weigh as much they do, you can't be expected to go hard on each and every play.

Paired with Kris Jenkins, either would be a hell of a force against the run.

In my opinion, both of these guys will probably be gone before our pick.

#41 Mr Electric, Jan 25, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  2. ButtleMan

ButtleMan New Member

Odds are they will go with the best d-line available since that does seem to be the biggest need but I would love to get Freddie Barnes.
    1st round will probably be too early for him but somehow the Jets should find a way to get him.
    As a rookie, he can show Braylon how to catch balls.

3. hiker

hiker Well-Known Member

Where we draft, it looks like a matter of ruling out the positions we don't need instead of possibly reaching to fill a need.

QB- no
    RB- only if Leon isn't resigned
    WR- not for a slot guy, no 1st round pick for that, please.
    TE- no
    LT- no
    RT- if there is a value there, sure
    G- yes, if there is value
    C- no
    DE- Maybe reach for a prospect, only if a perfect 3-4 guy is there
    NT- I'm thinking there won't be enough $$ to have that much tied up in that one position. Maybe in the later rounds.
    S- Its a deep safety draft, depends on Rhodes status; but if a damn good one is there, take him anyway and trade Rhodes later
    CB- If the FO is thinking like a lot of fans, they might reach here, or even try to trade up. I would rather address the position in FA, since a rookie will be limited as a day one starter.

My thoughts: a Safety or DE would be real nice, but don't reach for one; and no more workout warriors, I want a guy with a proven track record on the field, and I could care less about his 40 time.

#43 hiker, Jan 25, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  4. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Freddie Barnes is my favorite offensive player in this draft besides Fresno State's RB Ryan Mathews.

One of the most ridiculous things I've heard in a long time is that Freddie Barnes wasn't invited to the combine...

I would love to see the Jets drafted Barnes in the second round - I don't give a damn if he's not the fastest guy in the world, he runs great routes and makes things happen when he gets the ball.

5. 624

624 Banned

Why did you skip MLB and OLB?

A pass rushing OLB could be a need as well.

6. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

After today's game, it became more than apparent that Jets need a big physical presence up in front - at DE position. The role of DL in 3-4 is not really about getting after QBs - they are like a cannon fodder. They have to eat up the blockers - which Jets current DL cannot do.

7. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

I think 'best player available' goes without saying, as long as it's an OL, DE/DT, OLB, or maybe DB. But I'd really like to see them to draft a DE.

8. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Exactly.

Finding a pass rusher is probably at the top of Rex Ryan's off-season to do list...and this draft has plenty of them.

9. hiker

hiker Well-Known Member

Okay, skipped my mind. I love our LB corps, Gholston excepted. A pass rushing OLB would be a good choice, BT is a great run stuffer, but he doesn't seem to be very useful in getting upfield. If there is a great fit available, sure. But I would still rate it behind some other positions, if you're looking at a need.

10. 624

624 Banned

I think it is at the top of his list as well, but that doesn't necessarily mean he addresses it at a high pick. We all know Rex can find his small school, low profile guys and turn them into stars.

I am drawing a blank now, what is the deal with Westerman? What type of LB could he turn out to be if all goes well?

11. GA Jets

GA Jets New Member

for the most part, that has been the history with Tanny, he'll either take the best player available (except for Gholston) or target a player and trade up. So far when he has traded up, he has struck gold:

Revis
    Harris
    Keller (jury still out but starting to look good)
    Sanchez
    Greene

12. tanknyc

tanknyc Active Member

Good point like i said I think LOL i didnt know if Denver had converted to 3-4

13. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

Pouha filled in excellently for jenkins this year I think were set at NT.

14. tanknyc

tanknyc Active Member

Yes he did do an excellent Job but one more is not going to hurt because Jenkins is most likely going to be hurt again next season with back problems

15. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

Starter:
    WR (re-sign Edwards; slot receiver)
    DE (imagine a stud next to big Jenks)
    P (let's not repeat last offseason)

Upgrade: (why Manning killed us)
    OLB (Thomas shouldn't play every down)
    CB (Lito's gone)

Depth:
    TE
    OL
    DL
    LB
    S

16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I voted other as a proxy for best available player. The Jets are freaking thin right now and they need to get thicker with quality players.

17. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

IMO, he'll be long gone.

18. NYJ_JD

NYJ_JD Member

You can't go into this draft saying that we are going WR first round or DT or any position for that matter.. with the position that we are in.. we just have to draft the best available talent on the board...

19. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Jets should trade down.

Im sure Mangini would be willing to give up draft picks.

Or if we cant trade down, I could definitely see us trading our first rounder.

The jets know how close they came to a superbowl this year, and I could definitely see them trading to get someone to win NOW.

20. 624

624 Banned

How the hell can you assume he will be hurt next year due to back problems? It could happen but you can't just say that, I see him in a more limited role next year anyways. You do know that he tore his ACL this year, we wasn't out becasue of his back right?

Pouha is 30, he doesn't have much wear on his body due to being an old rookie. but he is still old.