What to do with the 1st Round Pick?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JETS1116, Jan 25, 2010.

?

What to do with the 1st Round Pick?

1. Outside Linebacker

13 vote(s)
    8.6%
  2. Defensive End

63 vote(s)
    41.4%
  3. Cornerback

48 vote(s)
    31.6%
  4. Wide Receiver

15 vote(s)
    9.9%
  5. Other

13 vote(s)
    8.6%
  1. discostu570

discostu570 Active Member

I doubt it'll be an OLB. They like Calvin Pace and Bryan Thomas enough, Westerman is an intriguing possibility for the future. Who knows what the future holds for Gholston, if it werent an uncapped year I'd say no way they give up on him, but who knows. You get the sense that he might eventually 'turn it on'. Maybe the Jets can get out from under his current deal and resign him on the cheap, since I doubt anybody else is looking to hand him megabucks.

I'd have to say our three biggest needs, in order, are cornerback, wideout, and defensive end. I think if we can, we'll sign a cornerback who's a known commodity in free agency, Ravens CB Fabian Washington being a possibility (I believe he's an RFA, but who knows if/how they'll tender him coming off a torn ACL). That'd leave us to pick up a wideout with the 29th pick to complement our talented but thin group of receivers.

#21 discostu570, Jan 25, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  2. 624

624 Banned

I voted other, for BPA of the positions you mentioned, or trade down to the 2nd and acquire more picks.

3. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

You do? I sure as hell don't

4. JohnnyThaJet

JohnnyThaJet Active Member

It would be a waste going for a WR with our 1st pick theres plenty in the backhalf of the draft that we can mold. I feel we need the following: DE, CB, OL, OLB, RB, then WR. In that order. Everything we dont fill in the draft can be fufilled through free agency. (Mostly depth players)

5. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

No way the Jets get out of Gholston's current deal. He is due mostly guarenteed money and he would stupid to sign to a lower deal because he will most likely be out of the NFL in the next 12 months

6. LoyalJetsFan

LoyalJetsFan New Member

ditto

filler

7. freebo

freebo New Member

I am going to listen you you guys talk about this and then mix by big board into the picture before making decision.

8. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

A smart NFL GM and scouting staff would never lock themselves to a specific position, especially drafting at #29 in rd 1.

IMO, stay put and see if your player falls to you, if not, have a trade ready with another club to move back and acquire more picks.

9. southparkfanciz

southparkfanciz Active Member

He'll be gone by the 29th pick. Also WR is not our top prioriety.

10. ibleedgreen7476

I want Terrance Cody, he should be there when we pick.

11. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

I can see us using our 1st from this year and a pick from next years draft to move up and get "our guy". I have no idea who this guy is, but I can bet that Tanny and Co. are looking for him right now

12. tanknyc

tanknyc Active Member

Dumervil is good for the 4-3 he will get eaten alive in a 3-4 i think..

13. tanknyc

tanknyc Active Member

We need a fast OLB and if we kept Vilma from prior he would of been perfect for the OLB he would of had to adjust but the guy is fast from sideline to sideline he is a beast... but hope we could find someone in the draft...

14. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Dude. He was moved to 3-4 OLB this year and had 17 sacks.

15. 624

624 Banned

Yeah that's what I meant, BPA for the ones we need, for example if a QB is the BPA we won't take him, I didn't mean we would narrow it down to one or two categories.

I voted "other" because I didn't want to lock into one, but my post made it seem like I was.

16. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

What do our resident draft gurus think about Cody? I've heard his name thrown around a lot, but I really don't pay attention to college football.

17. 624

624 Banned

We don't need "fast" OLB, we need a pass rushing OLB. They can go hand in hand but you don't categorize them like that.

18. 624

624 Banned

I've heard some people choosing Dan Williams over him lately, Rex could definitely do some very creative things with Jenkins and Cody in his defense.

I wouldn't mind the pick.

Edit: I am not calling myself a draft guru though....

#38 624, Jan 25, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  19. GA Jets

GA Jets New Member

After hearing about the new Free Agency rules for the top 4 teams, I couldn't agree with you more. We are not going to be able to add depth via free agency and only have 5 draft picks this year. Given that, not only do we need to trade out of the 1st round, but we may need to trade down again in the 2nd round. It would be good to have 7-8 picks this season to help build depth and youth. We probably will have to hold onto all of our players that we were speculating on cutting in to training camp, if we cut them, we can not sign someone else, our only hope is if they are Free Agents and someone else signs them allowing us to pick up a role player that is more suited for our team.

20. StreetFighterJet

StreetFighterJet New Member

Pass rushing LBer or DE