What to do with CJ Mosley

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MaximusD163, May 5, 2021.

1. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Overthecap has Mosley as 5M in cap savings if he is cut pre-June 1 for 2022

2. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

This is where I'm at.

Mosley might be the best player we have to be honest. Quinnen may be better this year but it's hard to think of many others that are close from a pure talent perspective. CJ will be 29 this season so I'd think he can give us at least 2-3 more years of near-prime production. Brutal contract but the Jets are still a team that's light on proven talent.

NCJetsfan, westiedog1 and King Koopa like this.
  3. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

I just want CJ's contract up when we have to start paying Quinnen & Moore & Becton, etc. When CJ's contract is up we can slide that money rite over to pay Quinnen in 3 years.

4. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I just looked and while it does say that, they are wrong. they only have 8 mil of his salary guaranteed for 2022 but the whole 16 is guaranteed. the 1st 8 was guaranteed at signing. the other 8 became fully guaranteed march of this year. It's why I prefer spotrac. His 2022 is fully guaranteed so if we cut him we still have to pay the same 16 mil salary plus another 4.5 for the signing bonus for a net loss of 3 million plus whatever his replacement cost. if we cut him in 2023 none of his salary is guaranteed so we'll only have 3 mil in dead cap for the prorated bonus so he goes from a 18.5 mil cap hit to a 3 saving us 15.5 mil.

In short mosley is a jet the next 2 seasons unless someone is willing to trade for him and take on his contract. the low signing bonues makes him tradable to us at little cost, but his high guarenteed salary makes him hard to trade and impossible to cut.

5. GasedAndConfused

he was as a 3-4 ILB. we have no idea how he'll be in salehs defense and 2 years out of football. If saleh was here when he was a FA we wouldn't have signed him due to scheme fit.

6. GasedAndConfused

wile I fully agree with all this and thanks for this BTW, there is another option. He's pretty cheap this year at only 7.5 mil cap hit. if he plays well this year we could look to trade him for a shit pick to a 3-4 team in need of a ILB next year saving us 13 million. the cap should balloon for 2022 with the new TV deals so teams may take a shot at him for like a 5th rounder and take the cap on

7. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

It's an unknown for sure but athletically Mosley compares pretty well with Fred Warner who played the position Mosley will at an all-pro level. Granted, Warner is significantly younger. I think at the very least we should give Mosley one year to see what we have.

themorey likes this.
  8. GasedAndConfused

he is cheap this year. and we don't have many big contracts on the books. it's next year where the issues may arise but not having to pay a QB is huge. rigth now our top 5 contracts are
    lawson
    crowder
    maye
    fant
    mcgovern/davis tied

lawson, crowder, and maye are all under 15 mil
    fant/mcgovern/davis are under 10 mil

plus next year crowder is off the books, maye should get an extension which we can spread the numbers out
    fant will likely be replaced by 2023 at the latest. maybe even 2022

we also still have some "dead weight" in guys like lewis, griffin, and GVR way overpaid who can be released with no penalty.

9. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

It’s incorrect. The site is not incorrect but the little calculator doesn’t take into account certain dates which create guarantees in certain contracts

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Yes that might be a good point. We will probably here about how great he looks in camp if they are trying to move him.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  11. MaximusD163

The cap won’t balloon next year unfortunately. We probably won’t see a jump until 2023.

I get what you’re saying and it’s not impossible that it could work out that way, but I personally would mitigate any risk by moving him for whatever I could. Just my opinion, but I’d call it sunk cost and get out now.

12. GasedAndConfused

maybe not balloon yet but it'll go up for sure. amazon paid quite a bit for TNF, attendance should be back even if at small capacity. right now we are at 182.5 mil it's expected to hit 200 mil for 2022 and 230mil for 2023. that's pretty significant. a 17.5 mil jump is pretty much cj's contract, then a 30 mil jump after that.

13. MaximusD163

Those TV deals are agreements, the money does not come in immediately. Also, the cap floor this year was artificial. In a certain sense they borrowed money from future caps so it wouldn’t be totally fucked this year. So even as it goes up in 2022, it comes down some again.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  14. MaximusD163

And even if it does hit $200 million in 2022, I don’t see people jumping for a $16 million LB. The trick of the trade would be convincing a somewhat desperate team that getting him for $6 million now is a positive, even though I personally don’t think it’s worth it.

15. GasedAndConfused

They borrowed very little actually. the cap was set to be 180 mil. they put it 182.5. some wanted to borrow more it make it 185 mil. they negotiated and met half way. it's not very significant IMO. The revenue this year was higher then expected

I do agree I don't see teams willing to jump on mosley by any means but a team with some room and a SB chance could use a late pick and eat the cap for 1 year. I doubt it but it could happen. most likely mosley is a jet for the next 2 seasons and all we can do is hope he plays well

16. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

Let him play this year. If he gets injured again or under performs, he's gone.

17. major33

major33 Well-Known Member

I want him gone but if we had to keep him we could always turn that 16 million into a signing bonus and spread out the cap hit. But for one year, it's not that big a deal, although i agree that 16 million is a big hit. He will probably injure his hamstring in training camp since he hasn't played in 2 years & we'll be stuck with him. Hopefully like you said, another team comes calling and takes him off our hands.

One question I have is when does the 2021 year officially start in the NFL? It can't be January 1, unless it's in his contract that way. Maybe you or someone else knows?

18. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

From what I can tell, his contract is a big problem for 2022 so why would any other team out there take on that risk?

We would probably have to give teams a pick to take the contract and you barely see that happen in the NFL.

At that point I’d rather just hope he turns good...I really don’t see a trade happening at this point

19. MaximusD163

March 17. Technically the guarantee kicked in on March 19

NCJetsfan and major33 like this.
  20. MaximusD163

Where did you see that reported? I believe it was actually closer to $160 million

Footballgod214 likes this.