What to do with Bell

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Bellys Lies, Nov 17, 2019.

1. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

It is hard to watch him out there. Powell looks so much better, or any of the other Jets RBs. Gase did not want him, Do we cut the lost early ,or do we continue to hope he gels in our system. Our o-line looked good (yes against the 28th ranked run defense in the league) when anybody but Bell ran the ball. However when Bell was back there we were the 3yds per carry o-line we have seen all season.

azhar80 likes this.
  2. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Give him a chance.

He's dinged up...I hope... :oops:

3. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

First we give the obligatory middle finger to Mac. Then we find a team that can use Bell better than we can and trade him to them for more than he's worth to us.

4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Bell’s style doesn’t mess with this line. We need someone to get into the second level and seal a lb to spring him.

5. If we trade him there has to be an alternative in place & Bilal Powell cannot be it.

This has to be handled very carefully or suddenly the team has yet another massive hole w nothing in house to fill the void.RB position could get ugly real fast

6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

For one, he's banged up. But he's also not being used properly. Part of that is the shitty OL that can't open/sustain blocks that he can use with his patient running style. But also it's also likely due to the zone blocking schemes they're using. So, either it was a mistake to sign Bell knowing that our blocking scheme didn't suit his style, or it's a mistake to not change the blocking to suit him. Given that we're stuck with him for the foreseeable future, maybe Gase & Co. could change how they're using him. Just an idea.

7. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

The real question should be, what to do with the line?

Bell is not the problem. He looks the way he does because we have one of the worst offensive line in football.

Powell is a bruiser, Bell is not. If we can build a solid offensive line, Bell will have a great year

Pepsiguy5, Noam, Mogriffjr and 2 others like this.
  8. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

What? Powell is 5'11" 205 and based on a quick one cut and go style. He's shifty and slippery.

Bell isn't a bruiser either but he's 6'1", 225 and as of his time with the New York Jets, runs with cinder blocks on his feet and gets caught at the LOS and just falls to the ground.

Maybe he's hurt. The offensive line does suck. But other runners are finding holes. Bell is hesitating as soon as he gets the ball before just running into the first defender he sees.

He just looks washes up. He'll look better behind a better line as anyone would. But I don't think he's the player he was in Pittsburgh.

He was away the game for two years and that can definitely affect someone trying to adapt back to real game speed.

9. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

He’ll be fine with a better o-line, his running style isn’t a good match for a bad line...we still aren’t using him nearly enough as a pass catcher. We did it a little more today but it could be so much better

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  10. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Draft a RB in round 3 or 4.

11. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Make Bell our #1 WR.

Problem solved.

Damn...I'm good.

12. ColoradoContrails

IDK if you're serious, but there have been worse ideas.

Peebag and Acad23 like this.
  13. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Probably plus the Jets are stuck with Bell for 2020 anyway. Build the OL and see what Bell can do. If it doesn’t work part ways....

JetsNation06 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  14. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

You're at least partially right. Bell is more of an all-purpose back; from what I've seen, he's actually more effective catching passing out of the backfield. All Gase uses him for is to run it up the gut. Both his running and overall usefulness to the team would be increased if they just used him in more passing situations.

But at the end of the day, I just don't think he's a good enough fit for the team to not consider trading him for picks. With his production this year, I tend to doubt we'll get a first for him up front, especially from a team picking any higher than 15 or 20. I think the best we could hope for was a 2nd round pick for the 2020 draft, and a 2nd in 2021 that can conditionally turn into a 1st depending on Bell's performance.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  15. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I'd sign up for that in a second and I think Joe D. would as well. I just don't think teams would offer anywhere near that. I think given the contract and the shitty season we're looking at a 3rd rounder at best.

#15 Jonathan_Vilma, Nov 17, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    Jets81 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  16. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I'm dead serious.

Bell has even said he'd play WR.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  17. ColoradoContrails

Then let's do it!

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  18. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

So many of us were psyched and hyped over getting all world Bell and CJ Mosley ...sheesh looks like the Players got the best end of that deal

Bell runs like he's got Arthritis and Mosley gone after 1 game?

The OL sucks and could possibly get SD hurt and certainly doesn't help Lev Bell...till that gets fixed why is Gase misusing LB after 10 games? At least Darnold is rolling out and not dropping back into Pocket of Death

IMO a better Coach would be throwing to Bell ..I mean how many bad runs do you have to see before you try something different???

Darrel Loggains is clearly to blame...heheheh (but he does know how to throw a red challenge flag)

Windup: We get half the production we wanted from both these guys who got rich quick...oh well

19. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

We keep Bell because he’s a god damn star and we hope that our braindead coach can find a way to use him. Say that out loud... an NFL coach can’t figure out how to use LeVeon Bell. Fuckin baffling.

Keep Bell, build him and Sam a competent OL and hopefully Gase can get him the ball in space by accident or something.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I think FJF is right. Bells' patient running style won't work with our present OL. With our present OL Powell would be more effective. Powell hits the hole quickly. By the time Bell decides where to go, the holes have closed as the blocks cannot be sustained long enough. I could be wrong, but don't think changing the blocking scheme would help Bell. We just don't have good enough run blockers to open and sustain holes for Bell's style of running. It will never happen this season because of what we're paying Bell and because of the media, but I actually think our offense would be able to run the ball a lot better with Powell starting instead of Bell. That's not saying that I think that Powell is a better RB than Bell, just that his style of running will work better with our present OL. Hopefully, next year, our OL is much improved and we will be able to take advantage of Bell's talents running the ball. I don't want to trade Bell, unless the OL is not going to be a priority in the offseason. If their plan is to fix the D by adding an edge rusher and a couple of CBs, then I'd rather trade Bell, get what we can, and stick with Powell, Montgomery and a rookie we draft in the 4th round or with one of the picks we get for Bell.

Andy_M and MoWilkBeast like this.