What Team Do You Want The Jets To Open Against?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Mar 26, 2019.

1. I dont care who we play i just wanna see a well rounded talented team w competent coaching that doesnt implode the second they get a lead or in the 4th quarter.Play to win..not punt down 2 scores in opposing territory w 5 minutes left.

Dont care when we play New England either as long as we hit Shady many times,beat them & shut their cheating asses down

PennyandtheJets and NCJetsfan like this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

You have a point not wanting to play them in December, but even though they may not be as good earlier, we probably won't be, either. They'll be plugging in some new players, but not changing systems or adapting to a new CS like we will. If we draft a new center, even if he can start, it will take some time for the OL to gel and develop timing and chemistry together. We will want Darnold and Crowder to have developed timing and chemistry too, and Bell to have the rust off and have his timing down. If we've drafted an edge rusher, he will probably need some time yo adjust to the NFL as well.

One has to look at it from both perspectives, not just that of the Patriots.

I think it best if we play them the first time around mid-October and the second time around mid-November.

3. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Miami at home

BudJet likes this.
  4. JetsFanatic

JetsFanatic Active Member

I would guess we open against the Steelers because of the Bell signing.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I could see that happening. And if true it will be an important benchmark game. If we think the Jets improved then its a game they should win. At home against a Steelers team that lost a bunch of talent in FA.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  6. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I’m thinking they open at home early game vs Steelers or Miami.

7. Hackenberg

Hackenberg Active Member

A semi pro team who's starting QB is injured. Might help Jets build some confidence.

8. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

I'm surprised that this isn't a universal automatic response on who the team should be.

I find it interesting that coming off of a season where we finally established the first legitimate franchise level QB since Pennington, then preceded to get arguably the best two players available in free agency, along with two other guys acquired that will make the offense so much better it's honestly hard to quantify, and a coaching staff of coaches who are known to demand excellence. In that staff regardless how fans may view him, and this speaks more to the lack of skill at play calling, Gase will be the best offensive mind the Jets staff has had in over a decade.

With all that said, how could this not be a land slide majority of fans wanting to play the division rival, defending Super Bowl Champion Patriots?

Ralebird likes this.
  9. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Patriots always do tend to have their stinker game or two in the first month. By November they are a much different team every year. Our Jets havent faced them in September since 2013.

I wouldnt mind opening with them but I think since its announced it will be a Sunday night game, the league will pair them with someone better than our Jets.

10. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

I would love to have them at Metlife second week as home opener and mop the floor with them. Ugh I hate them as much as I hate @joe and his love for Fenerbahce

mrjet80 likes this.
  11. mrjet80

The rumor is the Giants at Patriots for first Sunday night game.

12. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

Defending SB champs plays one the worst teams in the NFL as an opener and it's a night game...

"y-aaaaaay"...

Jets_Grinch likes this.
  13. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

The Super Bowl winner always plays the opening Thursday night game. They almost always try to match them up with a team they had a Super Bowl against in the past 10 years or so, so considering AFC East plays NFC East this year having the Giants play them as the opener will be no surprise. Will be interesting if the Giants draft a QB, as they may have Eli start away from home as a respite from the fans. Then possibly trot out the rookie QB to start the home opener the following week.

I’m still leaning towards Miami in our house Week 1... hopefully start out 1-0 with a division win.

14. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

Bears Packers has already been announced as Thursday opener

15. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Has it?
    So it has, in honor of the Bears 100th season. Unusual but makes sense I suppose.

16. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Glad to see so many here are pumped for some Victories^^^^^^^

This is the year we unleash the Kraaken

17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Very easily.

18. mrjet80

I read they figured it was a SB rematch from within the last decade . They want to save the more entertaining Pats opponents for later in the season but again it wasn’t in stone. I’d be happy if it were the Giants so it would mean the Jets open at home. The NFL won’t have Met Life empty opening weekend....

19. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Exactly. But that can be looked at both ways. As you say, NE will not be changing systems or the majority of their staffs so the Jets stand to have a much better idea of what to expect from them than they will of the Jets. By October that advantage for the Jets will be gone as teams get to see what the Jets are doing on both offense and defense. I'd rather let Belichick be the first coach to try to figure out what the Jets are doing rather than tip him off by playing half the season first. I'll accept the tradeoff in working to pull a new team and new systems together.

20. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Throw them a marshmallow for their celebration? Very possible, but where did "the rumor" come from?

#100 Ralebird, Apr 8, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2019