What position do you spend your first pick on?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by ColoradoContrails, Feb 24, 2017.

1. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

One more time...trading back is not a guaranteed option. You can't rely on that option being available.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I think the Jets should let the OL shake out from the available choices at the moment. If they're still unhappy with LT in particular in August they can go out and get a stopgap 30+ vet to hold down the position for a year. There'll be a few of them out there at that point because the NFL has soured on giving 30+ players a decent offer unless they're stars.

If we actually had the franchise QB in house I'd say make OL a priority to keep him upright but given what we have I think it's ok just to roll with Ijalana + Qvale + a late pick and see if any of them can take the job and hold it. The Jets appear to think Shell will play RT and the G's and C are set also for the year, with G's maybe set for a few years and Johnson getting his chance to prove he's worth handing the C job too.

Going out and getting a veteran LT proactively is going to cost the Jets something. It will cost them against the cap. It will cost them the opportunity to develop a younger player who might be a mainstay for years.

If a good LT prospect drops in the Jets lap in the 2nd or 3rd rounds by all means they should take the guy but short of that I think they should grab as many talented players as they can focusing on the offense if possible.

Howard is a better prospect at TE than any of the OT's are at the moment. So if the Jets made the trade down and had the choice of him or Cam Robinson on the 12 pick they should probably take Howard. We don't have a TE either.

On the 33 if a good OT prospect was there, well that's a good call also. However if somebody the Jets really think is good at QB is available that's another clear path to take.

Again, all of this is dependent on the Jets bluffing heavily enough at QB in the pre-draft process that the Browns decide to overpay a bit to move up and get the guy they want on the 6. The last time we bluffed in this way nobody took Geno Smith at all and we wound up with him on the 39. Hopefully the QB prospects this year command a bit more respect from the evaluators..

ColoradoContrails and NYJetsO12 like this.
  3. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

yeah I get it...But at least the Offense will be improved thank goodness

Not a bad idea ..wait till 33 for a QB or OL whoever is better because our QBs right now are really back ups ...if they die back there it will mean 3-13 in2017 and bye bye for Bowles ...Fine with that. Hmm..do you think not resigning Geno would add to the bluff? That would make sense..

No matter who shines at the Combine I am still with ya to grab more numbers and trade down

Howard a great player..lets see if our new OC wants to use TEs I hope so

We need talent alright...but what will our HOF CS do for them?? AHAHA

4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I agree with this approach, although I think Mahomes and Watson will both be gone by 12, you might still snag Cook or Howard.

5. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

Jets aren't going to draft a TE at number 6 - especially with Austin Jenkins still on the roster. At 6 they should wait for trade offers and move down a few positions in the draft that will allow them to get a a few starters for the position(s) in need. They need good players to fill many spots.

6. ColoradoContrails

Agree completely based upon what I've heard about Cam Robinson. Howard helps the offense both as a receiver AND on the OL as a blocker. It's pretty clear cut who is the better value IMO.

Freddy Mondo likes this.
  7. ColoradoContrails

If Fournette or Cook are there, their impact on the offense justifies picking them at 6 IMO. I would even consider taking Howard there too, given his impact as a receiver and blocker. Howard might fall to 12 if we could get it away from the Browns, possibly too Cook, though less likely; Fournette won't.

BomberJet likes this.
  8. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

Tough to make a call on Fournette - if he's there at 6. Injuries can be a nagging issue that can drag on to no end - Dee Milner is a case in point. Running backs take a real beating, so any injuries will magnify the risk.

Can't see them picking a TE at 6 but, if they move down a few spots and grab Cook or Howard , fine with that. You can pretty much take it to the bank they will get trade down offers because of all the top tier players that will be there.

Leicester Jet likes this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

Dee Milliner was injured so often, there is really no comparison. How the Jets decided to make him a #9 pick with his injury track record is beyonf mystifying. I assume Fournette will be heavily examined and if he's declared okay, that would be enough for me. As the analysis I posted in another thread pointed out, he's actually BETTER than Adrian Petersen because not only does he compare favorably as a RB to to AP, but he can also catch and block. He is a franchise player.

10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree with the bolded phrases. You make it sound so simple to get an LT, and that just isn't reality. Odds are there won't be ANY LTs available in August.

IMO it's NOT OK to roll with Ijalana and Qvale at LT because we already know that neither is good enough to handle the LT position full time.

What younger player will the Jets be costing the opportunity to develop if we sign a FA LT? The Jets have no young LT on the roster. More than likely, even if they wind up with one in the draft, he will not lose any development opportunities if the Jets have signed a FA LT. Aside from Beachum, all of the other FA LTs that are worth a darn are around 30 or older. The Jets would know that at best, those FAs are a one- or two-year stop gap. If they're fortunate enough to get their hands on one you'd better believe they're gonna be working like crazy to develop that young LT and get him on the field as soon as possible. I understand what you're saying, however, and that's certainly true at other positions The Jets should not sign older FAs at other positions that could block or hinder the development of young players. For instance, last year Julien Obioha and Lawrence Thomas looked very good in TC. IMO the Jets should not sign any depth DL players, and should instead focus on developing Obioha and Thomas. The same thing goes at other positions. They should focus on developing their young QBs, WRs, Burris & other CBs, Middleton, Simon, OLBs, etc.

I agree that the Jets should grab an LT prospect in the draft if there's one they like and think can develop into a quality starter, but otherwise should not take one just to take one, and should instead focus on fixing other positions.

I also agree that Howard is better than any of the OT prospects in the draft, and if the Jets face the choice of taking Howard or Cam Robinson that it's a no-brainer to take Howard, as Robinson is likely to wind up playing OG anyway.

11. Their draft boards worked out for them to make the picks in the sequence that they did. But keep in mind that Dallas still had Witten,Dez, Terrance Williams & Romo before they even brought in Elliot. Don't think all those weapons at the skills don't help make the Dallas OL look so good.

I agree w. others.. a truly elite RB can completely change the complexion of an offense..I'd say it's the only position other than QB capable of doing that. I think both Fournette & Cook are rare talents..not just efficient RB prospects...they need to be treated as such.

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  12. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

Against a good team - Alabama - he has done nothing for the last two years - 65 yards in total. He has been out injured for half of the last season - never a good sign for a RB - and he's no team player (skips bowl game for draft reasons). I wouldn't touch him with a barge pole!

13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

LSU didn't have a very good team, and particularly didn't have a very good OL. Their offense wasn't very sophisticated, either.

I understand your concerns, and his health definitely needs to be checked out, but he played hurt in games and still piled up a bunch of yards.

NFL Research

✔@NFLResearch

Based on the combine, Leonard Fournette has:
    - Same weight as Clay Matthews
    - Same burst as Percy Harvin
    - Same speed as Jordy Nelson

WINNER: Leonard Fournette
    Fournette's stock had dipped early in the Combine (more on that below), but the LSU running back bounced back on the field on Friday. Fournette ran a 4.51-second 40-yard dash, which helped answer some doubts after he weighed in at 240 pounds. Fournette's showing in some of the other on-field tests helped to keep his first-round stock from plummeting.

#53 NCJetsfan, Mar 4, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
    ColoradoContrails likes this.
  14. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

t.e
    6'6" 250 4.51 forty beast of a t.e.

15. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

After reading the link, I feel confident that Mac will sign CRO, Revis, Skrine and Gilchrist, Carpenter maybe even trade for Marshall and Fitzpatrick.
    Seriously though, even though the link was from 2015 and Mac had to spend to get us into cap compliance , I think his philosophy will be similar. Hopefully less big name FAs . I also hope that Woody keeps out of the personnel decisions and let's Mac do his job. He has been fairly quiet so it may be a good sign that he is staying out of the decision making process.

NCJetsfan likes this.