What position do you spend your first pick on?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by ColoradoContrails, Feb 24, 2017.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

After doing some more film research, I'm going to weigh back in.

I still lean towards grabbing Mahomes if he's there, maybe Watson if he isn't, because QB is THE biggest priority, and both these guys are FQB-level prospects. But if they aren't there, I would take Fournette, or then Cook as 1A, 1B, then Howard - all three would transform the offense by themselves.

But, with that, I would also hope that I could snag Malik McDowell with my 2nd pick, or even consider trading back up to get him. He's a "poor man's Garrett", from what I've seen/read. Adding Fournette and McDowell would make this draft successful all by themselves. This the video review of McDowell:

http://www.catscratchreader.com/2017/2/16/14634834/2017-nfl-draft-potential-panther-malik-mcdowell

2. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

RB, DL and interior OL would be the only positions off the table at 6.

Obviously a QBwould make the most impact but I just don't see Mac targeting a QB early this year. I'd take Mahomes but I don't have a multi million job riding on that decision.

Ideally I'd like to see the Jets come away with Williams or Howard in the first. In a perfect world we'd trade down and select one then trade back into 1st for Mahomes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

4. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

I really want to go offense because I can't even remember when we last drafted offense in the first.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I'd try to trade the Browns the 6 for the 12 and the 33. The Browns will be looking to get the pick of the litter of the remaining QB's after taking Garret on the #1. That gives them incentive to trade up to the pick of another team that is a risk to take the guy they want.

The Jets could get Howard with the 12 and whoever #4 of the QB's is on the 33. If All 4 QB's are gone on the 33, well there will be another strong player there from among all the CB's and pass rushers in this draft.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  6. ColoradoContrails

This is the best trade down scenario I can envision for the Jets, but there are probably others. But the Browns would have incentive to swap with us,and reward us, and dropping to 12, while significant - it probably means we miss out on Cook or Fournette - is still a pretty strong pick, and grabbing the 1st pick in the 2nd round is big - we might be able to swap that to trade up into the 1st round again. If we got Howard at 12, we might be able to snag Malik McDowell with the 2nd pick and with those two it would substantially upgrade the "O" and the "D" right off the bat. Then look to address the OL next.

Again, I prefer to stay at #6, but the above scenario would be okay.

7. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Browns would be overpaying.

A three way trade involving the Titans might get us picks #18 & #33 however.

8. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

Assuming Jets stay at #6, my preferences are:

1) Myles Garrett
    2) Jamal Adams
    3) Reuben Foster
    3) Corey Davis
    4) Solomon Thomas
    5) Dalvin Cook
    6) OJ Howard

I don't recommend locking into one position for any draft pick. Offensively, Fournette is my favorite offensive player but Jets will likely be going with West Coast Offense this year. I think that drops Fournette for the Jets

#28 ajax, Feb 25, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
  9. Freddy Mondo

Freddy Mondo Active Member

If possible, trade down to the teens and snag that Alabama Juice. At tight end, he's still the best O-line option in the draft.

10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Based on what I've read about the draft, when teams are considering a trade down,they usually inquire who the other team plans to take when they trade up, and if the other team plans to take the player they want, they don't make the trade.

NYJetsO12 and boozer32 like this.
  11. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

My hope is that the Browns want to move up from #12 for a QB (assuming they take Garret with #1).

In that scenario, Browns move up to #5, Titans move down to # 6 (they don't need a QB), Jets move down to #18. Titans move up from #18 to #12 and the Jets get #33.

The points don't add up exactly so some other players and pick would move but that is the basic framework of the deal.

At #18 we could end up with Howard, Humphrey, Lamp, maybe one of the pass rushers, receivers, or even a QB. As long as we don't fixate on a specific position we can get two very talented players at #18 and #33.

12. ColoradoContrails

You're assuming that the Browns aren't that desperate for a QB? I think if they're willing to trade up, they'd be willing to give up #12 and #33 to us. There has to be some incentive for us to drop 6 places, and if they can satisfy their desire for a stud pass rusher, AND QB, I don't think that's an outrageous price to pay. And from the Jets perspective, why would we agree to drop 12 spots and put ourselves at risk of not grabbing one of the elite prospects? I wouldn't do that deal, and I sure hope Macc dooesn't.

Freddy Mondo likes this.
  13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

If the trade with the Browns went through, would you take McDowell over Ramczyk or Bolles?

Also, why would you want McDowell unless the Jets are switching to a 4-3 front? He's too heavy to play OLB.

#33 NCJetsfan, Feb 26, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  14. ColoradoContrails

I would consider it. Depends on what else comes to light about them and anybody else who might be considered.

I would want him for the same reason anyone would take Garrett - he's a physical freak, and prob

15. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Michigan State really messed him up though. He is a very athletic kid, probably top five in this draft at that category but he is going to need a lot of coaching to make him a quality player. He most likely won't be a very good fit for a 3-4 scheme on top of that. He has A LOT of bad habits, very limited football IQ, barely uses any variety of technique in his run and pass game. That program didn't do him any kind of favors, I highly doubt these things are primarily his fault but he is very much raw and a big development type prospect.

I wouldn't take him for those reasons.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  16. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Malik McDowell is one of the more overrated prospects in this draft. All athleticism and questionable desire to play the game. He won't upgrade the D. He has a questionable motor. As a fan of MSU you stay away from him at all costs. If you go Howard fine, but you need to look at either an edge rusher, defensive back, or offensive lineman.

17. ColoradoContrails

MeanDean; 101GangGreen:

You guys probably have seen or know more about him. I only base my comments off of one extended video analysis, and they mentioned the concerns you mentioned. That said, the eyes don't lie completely, and he looked amazing. He was able to play multiple positions, and create havoc for the other team. His "low motor" was more evident late in the season when M.S. was long done. Not an excuse, but they said the same thing about lots of other eventually great players, like Jeadevon Clowney, and you'd take him now. As to his technique, that should be coachable and correctable. What you can't coach are physical giifts, and he has an abundance. If he lived up to his physical tools, it would be well worth changing to 4-3 to add him. I wouldn't take him in the 1st round for sure, and given your concerns, maybe you wait until the 3rd or 4th round if he's there, but I think he would make a difference in the pass rush, and the run "D".

18. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what I would do at the 6. It all depends on what happens on draft day. I will say for 100% certainty that I would not take either Cook or Fournette (or any RB for the matter)with the #6 pick. This draft class seems saturated with running backs so finding a young one should not be a problem. QB would be interesting and it depends on how the coaching staff feels about Hack and Petty- personally would think that the Darnold/Jackson/Rosen/Browning all seem more like "can't miss" prospects than the QB crop this year but you will never know until they actually step on an NFL field.

In an ideal world I would trade down to the late teens to hopefully snag Ramczyk but that is probably not realistic.

Attackett and Leicester Jet like this.
  19. Devinthedude

Devinthedude Member

First post on this board, but have been reading for years. I think it comes down to three players this draft Hooker, Adams, and Foster. Noone else is really worth the 6 pick. If all three are already taken then trade down if possible.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  20. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

The Jets are in the unfortunate spot of rebuilding the WHOLE team

No QB till 33 will be a tough pill to swallow but OL takes a little more preference considering we are decimated there...better case may be to take a QB at 12 and OL at 33 but I doubt it