What position do you spend your first pick on?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by ColoradoContrails, Feb 24, 2017.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

The question is:

"What position provides the most bang for the buck, relative to who they currently have, and who is available?".

As I posted in another thread, most would probably agree that QB is the answer to the first two parts of this question, but many disagree with that it answers the third part. So, what do you think? What position will make the most difference on THIS particular Jets team, given which players/positions are available when they pick? In other words:

Who is your franchise player?

boozer32 likes this.
  2. cgrec

cgrec Well-Known Member

OJ Howard.

Adds tremendous value in the pass and run game. Hes a guy we could build our offense around. Should be a perennial pro bowler and definitely could become an all pro.

In an ideal world we could trade back a few spots and grab him, but depending on who goes top 5 he should definitely be considered at 6

Freddy Mondo, b.reyes16 and FJF like this.
  3. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Guys know who I'm going for:

Ryan Ramczyck.

#3 Red Menace, Feb 24, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
    NYJetsO12 likes this.
  4. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

LT...... or...... are you ready for this ...QB !

Sold on P Mahomes ! (I liked him... but throwing 65 yards on his knees was all the Combine I needed to see ahahahaha)

Also still very sold on Darnold and Rosen in 2018...but the stoogies running the franchise might screw us with a 7-9 record in 17 for all I know

So the future is NOW..

5. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Positions do not win Superbowls,players do.

While I think some of these guys go later than 6 I am sold on Garret, Howard, Humphrey, and Lamp among others. There is a lot of talent to be had I really hope we do move out of our slot at 6.

6. ColoradoContrails

I get what you're saying, but if you have chopped liver as your QB, you can have 10 other "players" and not get there. It takes the right players in the right positions.

boozer32 likes this.
  7. James Hasty

If I need a QB I suck it up and get one in free agency before the draft.

When my QB of the future falls in my lap I draft him or trade up if I get the right deal.

Until then I do not draft a QB.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  8. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

At this early stage......this guy howard is my top choice and the best case scenario would be to fall back 4-5 spots, get an extra 3rd, and nab him.

I don't think i take him at 6.....but not sure. It may depend on who falls from the top 5 if anyone. Thats why GM's have algorithms in place with different scenarios - especially if ur drafting top ten.

I do NOT like the idea of a RB at 6.

Of course, defense is always a necessity with this team so the safety or LB at six would be fine i guess.

Bottom line - a starter from day 1 and hopefully a pro bowler.

Leicester Jet and cgrec like this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

I don't understand why you wouldn't pick a franchise RB at #6, but would draft Howard, a TE. What's the difference in your mind?

And if I was going to trade down, I'd want more than a 3rd round pick.

Finally, how many championships have they won, despite heavily favoring "D" over "O" for decades?

10. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

It really all depends on who the first 5 players drafted are. Who impresses at the combine, more in the interviews than in shorts and t shirt and what FAs are signed. You can have a player in mind at 6 and loose all interest if they blow the interview.
    There are players who I find very intriguing at several positions but I don't have complete confidence that they will be a franchise type player and at six, that's what we must come away with.
    What sucks the most about this team right now is the lack of talent throughout the roster. That also makes this draft a lot easier. Virtually every position is an area of need except the D line. Even what others see as strengths are relatively weak. RB is an example. Powell is a nice second back. Not a 1. Our recieving Corp is fair, Marshall is in decline and has 1, maybe 2 years left but is more interested in a TV career, Enunwa is a nice Reciever but not one to build around, had most of his success as a The when used to create mismatches, Anderson is fast but runs one rout and like the great Roberto Duran, has hands of stone. Our defensive backfield is very good, for a highschool team but there in little NFL type talent. Special teams are specially bad.
    The DBs are very deep in this class so as tempted as I would be to grab one, I save that for round 2 and early 3.
    Cook would be my first choice but I'm biased having watched him in highschool and at FSU. I personally think right now I trade back and add a pick in round 2, take OJ Howard if I can, best WR / TE if he's gone.
    Safety and corner in round 2 ,Jake Butts round 3 unless we get Howard then best corner available.
    Mixon round 3 comp pick.
    Round 5 O Line
    Round 6 and 7. Bpa

boozer32 likes this.
  11. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

A franchise RB is a game changer. They cover up so much of your offense. The Cowboys got extremely lucky with Elliott and Prescott playing huge in their rookies years. But the table was set with Jerry Jones going offensive line for 3 years staright. If Fournette is there the Jets have to take him because no QB other than Mahomes I don't want in this draft. A franchise back could kill off the clock, open up other pieces of the offense. The Jets were too predictable last year and the box was stacked against Forte and Powell.

#11 boozer32, Feb 25, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
    KurtTheJetsFan and Peebag like this.
  12. boozer32

A TE at 6 is not good for this team right now. I can't remember a TE even going that high in recent years. If Gailey was still the OC I would blow a gasket because he never attempted to throw to the TE. But our new OC has a history of success with them so somewhere in this draft I expect them to draft at least 1 and sign 2 in free agency.

13. boozer32

That's the billion dollar question. No one knows when a franchise QB will fall in your lap. Heck even Jerry Jones might keep Romo and start him after the year Prescott had. If there were redrafts how many teams would take Montana, Favre, Rodgers, Brady number 1? How many would not even draft Blackledge, Akili Smith, Vince Young.

Red Menace likes this.
  14. James Hasty

You gotta wait for your pitch.

15. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

QBs are such a rare commodity they are never gonna fall in your lap.....That said this team will be bottom of the barrel until we land a good one

The only way a good one comes to you is if your team is 1-15 and you pick first or you are in the top 8 picks and you get one that way

Trading up can be completely prohibitive unless he is Gold

Going the FA route gets us nowhere

IMO you should draft one every year in ANY round just for sh*ts and giggles because you may get lucky

RuJFan and boozer32 like this.
  16. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

Ok.....
    1. RB - effective RB's can be had from rounds 1 thru 7. The current OL flux, new OC, and performance of Powell all steer me away from RB at 6.

2. TE - i wrote 6 may be a bit high but would entertain it based on the first 5 picks and combine/FA outcome.
    Ideal scenario is moving back a few spots to take him. Who has that draft chart?? Going from 6 down to what 10/11
    cant get u more than a third??

At this point i would prefer only howard, drafted in the right slot, over all RB's, if all things remain the same heading into late april. As much as a good RB can be a QB's best friend, so can a TE. We can take a RB a bit later in the draft.

To reference the cowboys.....they already had stability of the OL before they nabbed elliot so high. Most teams would be foolish not to follow the same sequence.

boozer32 likes this.
  17. rsc1589

rsc1589 Active Member

Trade back and grab OJ Howard or Dalvin Cook. And then add another 2nd round pick.

James Hasty likes this.
  18. ColoradoContrails

Thanks! I still don't completely agree, but I do understand your POV, and it certainly could be a way to go.

jilozzo likes this.
  19. boozer32

Absolutely the Ron Wolf theory of drafting QB's. If you should be so lucky and have 2 of them you can trade one off for a mint.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  20. boozer32

Suppose you trade back hoping to take a player a few spots later but the team you trade with take him? If that guy is your guy and you value what he would bring to your team and forgetting all that BPA crap. Does it matter where you grab him if he's successful? No one will care down the road.

FJF and ColoradoContrails like this.