What ONE momen/move/play personifies the Herm/Bradway era in your opinion.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HackettSuxTNG, Aug 1, 2006.

1. MyFavoriteMartian28

Trading for Doug Jolley and drafting Mike Nugent so high illustrated that nobody in charge of our team during the Herm/Bradway regime knew a thing about personnel or prioritization of needs. Its clear we needed a new kicker, but we missed the boat on a lot of talented players that play positions that cost much more to address via free agency than the kicker position does... if its up to me you draft a RB, LB or DL/OL and SIGN a kicker, you don't spend a 2nd round pick on a kicker. We spent a 2nd round pick on a position that would have cost pennies to address in free agency, when we could have drafted a LB which costs much more to address in FA. See the rationale?

Everyone always talks about how we needed a clutch kicker and nothing else because we are a playoff caliber team, but IMO if you are playoff caliber team in need of a consistent kicker... then you DON'T LOOK TO A ROOKIE to be that guy!

2. ButtleMan

ButtleMan New Member

First was the roll out by Quincy. He got back to the huddle late, no play and then used the last TO.
    The next play was an incomplete pass. I think it might have been to Becht by the goal post.

3. Jetsman5137

Jetsman5137 New Member

Any draw play called for a 3rd and 21 situation...

4. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Ehh, that's usually NOT a bad play.

5. Mantana Soss

Mantana Soss Active Member

the kneel was mine too.

6. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

Usually, it suprises the opposition.

7. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

That play is almost always designed as a cheap way to gain easy yards for field position purposes.
    Not EVERY third down play HAS to be converted into a 1st down to be a success.

8. Gator

Gator Active Member

Exactly, as long as you punt, it's OK. Wait a minute.......... :lol:

9. HackettSuxTNG

The Jets ran it so often that it usually resulted in a LOSS!

10. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Well, they don't know what they are doing. They are a horrible example of that particular type of play.

11. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

ten defenders on the field in the PO's vs. SD. Has this ever been explained even unsatisfactorily?

12. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

H'mm for me it was the precise second he was hired by silly Woody & from there on watching Herm paid back Woody & all NYJ fans for getting hired.

13. HackettSuxTNG

:rofl2: That was UNBELIEVABLE!!!!

14. Rambo13

Rambo13 New Member

I think the horrendous FA class with Beasley, Abraham, Cowart etc. (also loss of Farrior)

That foreshadowed the horrible decisions being made and killed our cap and youth.

15. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

When he was hired U one of his staunchest supporters right?

16. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

For me it has to be the whole tirade about "you play to win the game". The media loved Herm for it because he sounded like an idiot(at least to me) but it was a great quote. The rest of his coaching career in NY, he went on to disprove that entire speech with his actions.

17. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

The John Hall 53 yd Fg against Oakland to get us back into the playoffs in '01. it showed the way the team never quit under Herm, they battled back after a brutal loss the week before the Buf and were down late in this game but the long kick sailed through the uprights.

[​IMG]

18. KSJets

KSJets New Member

The only problem with that is that it should not have been necessary. We should have just beat Buffalo and it would have been a lot less stress on the fans...lol.

19. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

A lot of you are real quick to forget that the Jets played some damn good football in that period. Yes, there was downers, but it wasn't all bad. When the team was healthy, they played really good, disciplined football.

20. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

Can't sum it up in one play or even one game. For me, there were actually two facets to the Herm era as far as how the team played.

1. They didn't play well until their backs were against the wall. I think the Miami game at home in 2001 is a good example. The first half was like 45 minutes long due to the Dolphins literally running our defense into the ground. In the second half they bounced back with that sweet Coles TD over Madison (part deux!) and Curtis' TD run with Mawae blocking and stole a game from the Fins to keep the streak alive.

2. Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. The Jordan HB pass, and then Kyle Boller (of all people!) embarassing our defense is forever burned into my memory.