What music are you listening to right now? Merged

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by 17a_tailgater, Feb 18, 2006.

1. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

'Brain Damage', it's always been a fave of mine; but it has special significance to me because I have, er, brain damage. I'm a form of Phineas Gage; but as an aside, Pneumococcal Meningitis is no joke. I'm a medical mystery, really.

#6121 jetophile, Jul 2, 2024
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2024
    Section 336 and Jets OG fan like this.
  2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

You know, I have broadened my musical horizons a lot, but I just can't get past the feeling that St Vincent is pretentious garbage. Not even punching down.

#6122 abyzmul, Jul 12, 2024
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2024
  3. jetophile

I saw her quite a while ago, she opened for Death Cab For Cutie @ Radio City. That was right before she really took off. She was actually pretty good. She's very small, her guitar was almost as big as she is. I don't follow her music, I don't own anything, I don't know all that much about her except that she likes chicks and is kind of eccentric.

Probably one of the best shows I ever saw was Porcupine Tree at the Beacon Theater in NYC back in 2007. I don't know what I was expecting going in, but I did not expect THAT. It was the Fear of a Blank Planet Tour.

The visuals were great, the band was almost scary cohesive, not one glitch, and Steve Wilson was amazing. I was seriously impressed. Laugh all you want.

The best part was running into our friend's kid, Coady, in the lobby. Him and his Dad were regulars at our now long defunct tailgate. His Dad is a cosmetic dentist in NYC. He goes. "Holy Shit, what are you guys doing here?!" "What are YOU doing here?" "I love Porcupine Tree, and Steve Wilson is my Dad's client. I got gifted backstage passes from Wilson because of it." "Get outta town! See ya at the game on Sunday! Go Jets!" LMAO.

It always freaks me out when I run into somebody in NYC on the fly that I know. It's crazy. What are the odds. I'm almost positive I made mention of Porcupine Tree in this thread, but not nearly to this extent.

ETA: Ha, I actually found the post. It was definitely Oct 2007 after thinking about it some more. I know I had a screensaver of Leon Washington on my old Motorola flip phone that you couldn't kill with a hammer. I was texting a friend old school on the drive back from NYC (I wasn't driving). I bought the screensaver for $1.99. The shit I remember, I swear.

4. abyzmul

Yeah I know that she dates some of the flakiest celebrity pseudo-lesbos on the planet, but that doesn't bother me since I have plenty of gay dudes and a few non-binaries in the larger rotation of music I listen to, but I love their music. Hers I just kind of find annoying, although I have only listened to half of her available discography. Maybe it's the other half I'm missing.

Unrelated, I just made a Sound of Music reference earlier to a couple of Gen Z's and one of them asked me if it was a game show. I said yes. Then we had a conversation about the fake game show. Sometimes I love people.

5. jetophile

For the record, I HATE 'The Sound of Music', but that's very funny. Also unrelated, we used to stay at this super basic place in Stowe, VT (now very sadly gone), for YEARS. The innkeeper was elderly, engaging, a little whacky (a dowser), and a hoot, and boy, did she have some inside skinny on Maria Von Trapp (see Trapp Family Lodge).

Maria Von Trapp wasn't anything remotely close to how she was portrayed by Julie Andrews. Talk about artistic license. She was an anti-Semite, a hard bitch, would pitch fits, scream at her stepchildren, and throw frying pans at her staff in her frau braids.

She didn't really care for her husband, it wasn't a "love story", she didn't have all that much to do with the kids' singing careers, and the family did not escape the Nazis by fleeing over the Alps into Switzerland. Much of it is glorified bullshit.

"She was a horrrrrrible woman." Hilarious. RIP Harriet Heyer.

#6125 jetophile, Jul 14, 2024
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2024
  6. abyzmul

It's okay, I'm sure that movie will be erased from existence at some point.

7. jetophile

Not buying it. It's a holiday staple, it will be preserved by the AFI into perpetuity. Cockroaches surviving a nuclear holocaust got nothing on this movie.

8. Savatage

Savatage Well-Known Member

Porcupine Tree is a great band. I can't into Steven Wilson's solo stuff as much.

jetophile and Section 336 like this.
  9. jetophile

Thx for the confirmation. Yeah, I heard the solo work is bland.

Edit: sp

#6129 jetophile, Jul 16, 2024
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2024
    Savatage likes this.
  10. jetophile

I went to college with Chris Ballew of 'The Presidents of the United States of America.' I peripherally know so many people in the arts it's crazy. A cover of Ian Hunter's 'Cleveland Rocks' was done by them as the theme song for 'The Drew Carey Show', haha.

It was originally called 'England Rocks,' but Ian Hunter decided to change the title. I don't know how he's not in the R&R Hall of Fame, which is in Cleveland and part of the point of the song, s-o-o-o, mercy induction? That place is such bs, anyway.

Steve Miller ripped them a gaping gigantic asshole, Holy Smokes, you should see it. I should try to find it.

11. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

good for steve. That "hall of fame" is a joke

you are right on about Ian Hunter. The whole reason the Rock Hall is in Cleveland is because of that silly song (and some public investment $$). Who in the hell thinks of Cleveland anyway when they think of rock N roll? It should be in Memphis probably but there are several cities of more merit ahead of Cleveland, including NY of course

12. jetophile

Linda Ronstadt was a no show. Well, she declined due to health reasons, and the tribute was pretty cool (I love Bonnie Rait), but it's pretty much a bureaucratic dog and pony show.

If you're going to induct someone, don't be a cheapskate. I'm not saying they should pay for 50 extended family members, but c'mon.

13. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

I saw Porcupine Tree back in October 2007 at the Lincoln Theatre in Raleigh, I just checked Setlist.fm and it looks like that show I was at was 2 days before the Beacon show. I was absolutely mesmerized.

Steve Wilson did Remixes of 5 Yes albums from their pinnacle years from The Yes Album through Relayer. I especially like the job he did with Relayer.

Savatage likes this.
  14. jetophile

15. jetophile

I know I've posted about this song before (it's probably in here), but I'm too lazy to try to find it. It took me years to realize that Brak from 'Space Ghost' was giving a hat tip. I adore this song. 'Paralyzed' by The Legendary Stardust Cowboy. Fcking brilliant.

@Dierking

16. jetophile

Fun side note. David Bowie loved his music so much and his fascination with space, hence . . . Ziggy Stardust???

And he also played with the guitarist of The Dead Kennedys. The other way around actually, but I can't, hahahahaha

#6136 jetophile, Jul 21, 2024
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2024
  17. jetophile

Standing in a Trashcan Thinking of You. This is as close to unrecognized genius that you can get. Hold on . . .

Okay, Aunt Jemima, just roll me onto the stage
    In this trash can

I'm standing in a trash can
    Thinking about you
    As the neighbor's cat goes by
    I swallowed a horsefly
    Happy as I am
    Stepping on a bean can
    Just like a frog
    Blow my nose on a catalogue
    Drinkin' a Dr. Pepper
    Thinking about you
    There's a TV dinner
    All over my boot
    My spurs got caught
    In a bowl of soup
    I ran out of bologna, now
    I have to eat my pony
    Thinking about you
    Yeah, my baby found me inside of a trash can
    In some back alley in New York
    Play it Andy, play it
    Thinking about you
    As the neighbor's cat goes by
    I swallowed a horsefly
    Happy as I am
    Stepping on a bean can
    Just like a frog
    Blow my nose on a catalogue
    Drinkin' a Dr. Pepper
    Thinking about you
    There's a TV dinnеr
    All over my boot
    My spurs got caught
    In a bowl of soup
    Now, I ran out of bologna now
    I have to eat my pony
    Thinking about you
    Now

HAHAHAHA, glorious.

#6137 jetophile, Jul 21, 2024
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2024
  18. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Not a huge fan of the Pop surf music of the early 60’s but Brian Wilson is without a doubt a musical genius.

Pet Sounds is one of the most amazing albums ever recorded.
    Sad what happened and that “Smile” was never seen to its fruition.

Ralebird and jetophile like this.
  19. jetophile

Bomb bomb bomb bomb Iran. I always thought that was funny as Hell.

20. jetophile

I'm just wondering why so many musicians have the last name of Wilson??? I couldn't care less if people crap on me for this, but I LOVE the B52s. They definitely have owned their place in rock history, and some of their live stuff is fabulous.

I live in upstate NY and ran into Kate Pierson about 10 years ago, lol.