What is Your Opinion of Quinton Coples?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetFanInPA, Mar 9, 2015.

?

What would you like to see happen with Coples this offseason?

1. Kept as an OLB

18 vote(s)
    51.4%
  2. Traded (specify what it would take to make it worthwhile)

13 vote(s)
    37.1%
  3. Other (specify)

4 vote(s)
    11.4%
  1. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I find that Quinton Coples could be an interesting case during this offseason. He's been with the team for 3 seasons and has been moved around a lot and shown some flashes and improvement, but he hasn't been a true impact player yet. Rex and co drafted him and obviously felt like he could be an impact player here, but that was the old regime. There's a new one now that also runs a 3-4 base. Perhaps the big question is whether he'd be better served as a lineman on a team running a 4-3 defense. He received a slightly below average by PFF metrics in 2014.
    He's been somewhat productive, is still very young, and may be out of position. It's conceivable that he could be traded, but for what? Toward a QB like Mike Glennon? For a 3rd or 4th round pick? If he is traded, we can expect an overhaul at the position with a high draft pick and perhaps another free agent to add to the group of Babin, IK and Trevor Reilly. Or would you rather see him stick around and hope he's a fit with this new defense?

If you want to see him traded, specify what you would deem as adequate compensation.

2. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

Is there any 3-4 teams switching to 4-3 this year we can trade him to for their OLB?o_O

3. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

We will extend Coples to start at DE when we lose Wilkerson next year.

4. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

Coples will never fit in a 3-4 defense, should be traded ASAP but for some reason they are holding onto him. At this point I'd take a 5th or lower pick for him.

5. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Interesting idea... If they feel iffy about resigning him at a reasonable cost then I'm sure they'll keep him, but his contract is also up after 2015. Personally, I want Mo resigned for something in the area of 10-11M/yr.

If the offer is right (a 3rd or high 4th round pick or toward a QB like Foles or Glennon), I'd trade him to a team that runs the 4-3. The 6th pick would probably be used on an OLB and perhaps a guy like Sam Acho is brought in to compete for a starting job on the other side. I wouldn't be upset if they keep him either, of course. There's a lot of uncertainty with him

6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Coples gets a bum rap. He is a good player and can play olb. He isn't going to be the 15-20 sack guy everyone wants, but he can apply pressure, sniff out runs and set the edge. He can have a bryan thomas like career for us.

7. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

What a huge down-grade. I love Coples as he's from UNC, but he can't replace what Wilkerson can do on the field.

Either he makes it as a 3-4 OLB or a 4-3 DE/ DT. As a 3-4 DE he's not as effective. I don't get why you as well as posters such as Brad want Wilkerson to leave so much - thinking he will command 100M dollars.

8. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

Coples is a 4-3 DE trying to fit the 3-4 OLB spot. He's been up and down, I dont blame it on him. I still think Coples has a bright future in the NFL

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  9. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

guy gets 6 sacks last year and people are complaining…

10. nevbeats319

people get the position on paper so twisted, 3-4 olb, 4-3 de…if you watched how he plays..he is used in the same role in either one

11. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I am assuming this is pointed at me. I would much prefer him having his hands on the ground permanently. Just like I saw him in the 3 yrs he was at UNC. Rex had him doing all types of crazy shit like jamming receivers at the LOS. He is not used in the same role.

Jay Bizniss likes this.
  12. Clark Gaines

Clark Gaines Banned

It's kinda unclear to me why people are all "he can't play in a 3-4...he's not productive...he should be traded..." The guy had six sacks and some of the most important stops and hardest hits in the Jets wins.

It'd be like wanting to trade Marty Lyons because he didn't get as many sacks as Klecko and Gastineau...

13. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I'd like to see Coples with another season at OLB.

He's not a 5 technique in my opinion.
    Not really sure that he's a 4-3 DE either, unless he can show better ability to set the edge. and if that's the case, then he'd prob work as an OLB anyways..

so far what I've seen him do best is rush the passer out of the 3 tech on subpackages.
    unless he improves his overall game, he could end up a subpackage player on another team in future.

but I would like to see at least one more year of him working at OLB before I'd write him off as just a subpackage guy.
    he did have some moments last season...hopefully a good sign of things to come.
    we'll see..

14. nevbeats319

no 95% he was rushing from the edge..80% it was with his hand in the dirt

15. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

If Wilkerson is reasonable about how much he will take, why hasn't he been extended already?

16. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

what a beast 6 sacks gosh didn't Maybin get 6 sacks as well, dude never should've been drafted

17. nevbeats319

6 sacks isn't good? whats a GOOD amount..10? theres less then 20 double digit sackers each season and two edge starters on every team do the math

18. NotSatoshiNakamoto

good player. strong at the point of attack, plays in the backfield quite a bit and is a heavy hitter. I like him.

Pocket Jet, hwismer, FJF and 2 others like this.
  19. JDeacon

JDeacon Well-Known Member

the dude is Bryan Thomas again, can set the edge but will never be that dominate pass rusher he was drafted to be..

20. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

People dont like him cause he was a 1st rounder. Apparently every 1st rounder should be a Hall of Famer or its a bad pick.

Im not in love with Coples but I remember very well who people were targeting with that pick. Mercuiles , Ingram , McClellian, and Chandler Jones.

Safe to say Coples is the 2nd best player out of that group so not terrible.

nevbeats319 and TwoHeadedMonster like this.