What is Your Final Vote on Rex Ryan?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Dec 18, 2013.

?

What Would You Do With Rex Ryan?

1. Keep Him

77.7%
  2. Fire Him

22.3%
  1. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

Rex is probably the best defensive coordinator in the game posing as a head coach. He seemingly has little to no ability to assess talent on the offensive side of the ball which hurts come draft time (I know he doesn't make the picks but he obviously has a large influence). He also makes dumb mistakes like challenging something he has no hope in hell of winning (partial blame to upstairs) and poor clock management. Not to mention issues with preparing the players as if I'm not mistaken he's never won a game coming off a bye week.

That being said, if those mistakes can be addressed and if he has more help with assessing offensive talent then I would keep him around. You can tell he really loves the team and that his players really love him as well, which has more value than people realize, IMO. Not to mention he's been saddled with a shitty offense for the past few seasons.

This year spend a lot of resources (cap space, draft picks) on the offensive side of the ball. If he can't deliver a stronger season (i.e. at least a wild card spot if not some playoff wins) with a revamped offense then cut him loose and look elsewhere...unless there was some way he would accept being "demoted" to defensive coordinator, but I doubt it.

2. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

he never did that but he has the most playoff wins in franchise history by double the amount.

3. VaBchJet

VaBchJet Active Member

He is 1-4 after the bye, which is bad.

4. nyjunc

can we look closer at this rather than just bashing him?

2009: lost 2 pt game to decent jax team
    2010: lost to eventual SB champs
    2011: beat Buf
    2012: lost at Sea where no one wins anymore
    2013: lost at Buf.

the only somewhat bad loss was jax and they had a decent team, this year Buf isn't very good but neither are we and it was on the road.

he's also 4-1 in openers w/ extra time to prepare and he is 4-1 w/ extra time to prepare after a Thursday game.

5. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

All fair points.

6. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Overall I am not ready to move on from him quite yet. One more year.

7. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

I didn't say season ending injuries I said injuries. Season ending is misleading because some of these players were non essential guys and others were injured in training camp and might not have even made the team but it counts in terms of statistics. Here is a list of the Jets IR:

Reserve/Injured

# NAME POS. HT. WT. AGE EXP. COLLEGE
    95 Barnes, Antwan LB 6-1 251 29 6 Florida International
    22 Berry, Aaron CB 5-11 180 25 4 Pittsburgh
    16 Cribbs, Josh WR 6-1 192 30 9 Kent State
    58 Davis, Troy LB 6-2 251 22 R Central Florida
    19 Gates, Clyde WR 6-0 197 27 3 Abilene Christian
    23 Goodson, Mike RB 6-0 210 26 5 Texas A&M
    24 Griffin, John RB 5-11 208 25 1 Massachusetts
    18 Hazelton, Vidal WR 6-2 209 25 1 Cincinnati
    36 Hilliard, Lex FB 5-11 235 29 5 Montana
    53 Mauga, Josh LB 6-1 245 26 4 Nevada
    88 Reuland, Konrad TE 6-5 260 26 2 Stanford
    Practice Squad

Mark is not on it because he was on recallable IR. So these players are not key guys on the team. Maybe Antwan Barnes would have been a starter. And you can make a case for Cribbs and Goodson but not a big case.

8. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

I really like Rex as a person and for his entertainment value. Who likes listening to a boring head coach drone on like a robot? He definitely adds excitement to the team. In addition, the players really want to win for him. On the other hand, there are the weaknesses. Who knows! I loved when he proclaimed that he wasn't here to "kiss Belicheck's rings". I love his confidence.

9. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

Junc you crack me up "Woody listens to the fans" but you're a Woody fan right? Tannenbaum, you didn't wanna fire him either. You don't want to fire Rex. You didn't want to fire Schotty. You didn't want to go away from Mark.

So what exactly is the answer? Just keep it rolling with the guys you have no matter what the results and continuity will magically build a SB team? Have you ever wanted anybody gone?

10. nyjunc

yeah it's crazy that I would want Rex, Tannenbaum, Brian and mark gone. You know, 4 key guys to helping us reach 2 title games.

I know, it was a all a fluke- a 2 year, 4 road game fluke. The first mistake was letting Brian go, the next one was firing Mike, the next one was the sham competition which hurt mark and the next will be firing rex. Notice how we keep getting worse w/ each move?

11. Ben Had

Ben Had Active Member

The truth will come when you see how great they do for the next team after they are fired.

12. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

The Texans had much higher expectations than the Jets and have 2 wins this season.

13. JdotGriff

JdotGriff Well-Known Member

Everyone knows how much you love Sanchez but he actually did win
    playoff games with THE worst statistical QB in the league.

14. nyjunc

No, the truth is what they did here. I don't care what they do anywhere else.

15. nyjunc

It's not true statistically or in reality. mark sanchez 2012 was awful, that was the ONLY awful year of his career and he didn't win w/ Mark 2012.

16. JdotGriff

You sir are wrong. 2009 was horrible year statistically and 2010 was slightly better then that.

2012 Makes the previous two year look ok but still all 3 were pretty damn bad.

17. JdotGriff

Honestly 2009 and 2012 statistically are basically identical.

So once again i say he won play off games with one of if not THE worst starting QB int he league.

18. Ben Had

Ben Had Active Member

Of course you care...if you didnt you wouldnt be posting on all your rivals message boards :grin:

19. nyjunc

2009 he was fine(especially for a rookie), you are blinded by a few terrible games that skewed his #s. 2010 he was top 10 good, 2011 middle of the pack.

do yourself a favor and watch the games rather than just looking at a boxscore. 2009 was nothing like 2012.

what does that have to do w/ anything?

20. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

This franchise has gone in the wrong direction under Rex. He started strong yet he has now missed the playoffs 3 straight years. Talent or no talent, the Head Coach is supposed to right the ship and have it going in a positive direction. This team is going in the wrong direction. The offense is way worse than when Ryan arrived and like it or not, he has to take the blame for that as the bucks stops with him. Also the secondary is awful and this goes against his great defensive mastery so that's another strike on him. He's a good DC and that's all he is. He needs to be gone.