What is Your Final Vote on Rex Ryan?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Dec 18, 2013.

?

What Would You Do With Rex Ryan?

1. Keep Him

77.7%
  2. Fire Him

22.3%
  1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

There have been a number of games over that period where the Jets were protecting a lead late in the game, and instead of staying aggressive on D & offense, Rex went passive and predictable, and the Jets lost. That is TOTALLY on Rex.

2. NCJetsfan

With all due respsect, imo worrying about things like that is a huge waste of time and energy. You might get hit by a taxi tomorrow or get hit by a stray bullet. Does that keep you awake at night?

I don't worry about other teams and what they do. I have enough thinking about the Jets and what they need to do. IMO Rex isn't the guy that's going to get a SB win with the Jets. Just because he might win a SB elsewhere doesn't mean he would win one here. I only care about the Jets winning. If Rex wins a SB elsewhere, good for him. I want the Jets to do what they need to do so they can win one. I want a complete HC, one who leads the whole team, not just one unit. I want a HC who is disciplined and demands accountability from his CS and players.

3. njjet

njjet Member

IMO the Jets were working under a win NOW philosophy. Moving up in the draft and giving away draft choices was an upper management decision. Just look at some of the lame decision. Most of this was done under the guidance of Tannenbaum with the approval of Johnson. Moving up in the draft in 2009 to pick Sanchez which left us with 2 other picks (Green and Slauson). Tannenbaum also signed Holmes from the Steelers giving away a choice). We only had picks I n 2010 (Wilson, Ducasse, McKnight and Conner). My big question was why would the Steelers let a MVP in the SB go for a 4th round draft choice?
    It was not Rex who gave Sanchez a contract extension worth 12.8 million this year or Holmes 9 million or Harris 13 million. In addition to lack of talent we have very little cap room. It’s not Rex it’s the philosophy that comes from the TOP. What other coach with the same talent could have done better.

4. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Rex worked out Sanchez with Shotty before the draft. He wanted him and was clearly part of the decision.

Rex loved Holmes he clearly wanted him signed long term. He made the guy a captain and couldn't say enough things about him when he was in TC the first year.

Before the new rookie contracts were worked out FA's were arguably worth much more compared to untested rookies who were going for top salaries. The Jets also had a new stadium to fill up.

Tannenbaum sold out to put a good team in place in 08, 09 and 10. He also clearly planed to clean the cap out this year. He took the fall but Rex was right there with him. Rex agreed to Shotty and replaced him with Soprano.

5. NCJetsfan

Rex wanted Sanchez in that draft. There's no way you or anyone else can say that Rex can't be blamed for Sanchez. Rex also continued to say that Sanchez was his guy and he could win with Sanchez. He is not blameless in any way. Similarly, I'm sure that Tanny asked Rex who he'd rather keep, Holmes or Bray. In facat, I'm pretty sure I remember seeing quotes from Rex saying that Holmes was the WR he wanted to keep. I never wanted Holmes either. It was a decent move for one year, but not long term.

6. Geno007

Geno007 Well-Known Member

What was Rex going to say Holmes is not the WR he wanted?

7. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Rex appointed Holmes as a team captain. Do you think he didn't want him?

8. Barcs

Barcs Banned

^There's a difference between wanting somebody on your team and overpaying them. Rex didn't sign the contract. Blaming him for that is pretty silly. Of course you're going to want to keep the guy that won us multiple games the year before with big plays.

Rex worked him out before the draft, sure. That doesn't mean he's an expert in QB mechanics and was a big influence on the decision. I know he liked his attitude, but Schotty & Cavanaugh were obviously the ones who's opinions held the most weight, as they were the OC and QB coach, who's prime responsibility was to draft and develop a QB. It was a bad decision, but you have to look at scouting and the offensive coaches. Blaming Rex is just a generic blame because he's the "head".

And who wouldn't take an explosive WR coming off a recent superbowl MVP for a fifth? I'd be more concerned if they DIDN'T take him. And he had a great year in 2010, so they were right. They did, however, overpay him in the off season without even thinking about Edwards or the offensive line. Then Sanchez became the turnover machine again in 2011 when our oline went to shit, and Sanchez was rewarded with a contract extension with guaranteed money for his sub par play. Then Holmes got injured in 2012 and hasn't been the same since. How do you NOT blame the GM?

Again, you have to look at the OC, QB Coach, QB and also the GM. Many other teams would have taken Sanchez that year in the draft. It was unlucky and he didn't pan out. It happens. It's a bit deluded to think that overpaying players is the fault of the head coach. ONLY on the Jets does that nonsense apply. If we were loaded or even semi loaded with talent and the team still played like shit, then I'd start looking at the head coach, but the truth is, the talent has only been there in 2009 & 2010 (minus the QB) and in those 2 years we made the AFC title game. In 2011, 2012 and 2013 we lost key talent each year and had to replace them mostly with cheap fill ins and draft picks.

#508 Barcs, Dec 26, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2013
  9. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

You can't possibly believe that a great DC doesn't know a QB when he sees one. Rex is one of the top defensive coaches in the league. The O is run by QB's. Guess what DC's study QB's.

Holmes didn't have a great year in 2010. He was suspended for 25% of the season. If you pro-rate his season based on the 12 games he would have been under 1000 yards. 2010 17 NFL players had over 1000 yards. Great is a complete exaggeration. He was decidedly mediocre in the 2010 playoffs.

#509 Biggs, Dec 26, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2013
  10. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Sanchez didn't pan out because we had a shitty offensive philosophy and a front office that never had a plan for Sanchez.

Sanchez had his fair share as well, but one holds more weight then the other.

You look at what Freeman and Stafford has done (with great weapons) and they still sucked - Mark with marginal weapons helped this team win games.

Stafford 1-23 against winning teams. Freeman not one post-season sniff.

11. njjet

njjet Member

Was Rex was trying to make the situation better?

12. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

It's going to come down to Geno, if idzik thinks Geno is the QB of the future it makes no sense to fire Rex and his staff and bring in a new OC. Geno has finally started to look like an NFL QB and it would be asinine to bring in a new system for him to learn when he is finally starting to get comfortable in this one.

it's kind of not fair to rex b/c Geno was forced upon him but Idzik has the power and it will come down to that. I hope he isn't foolish enough to set the franchise back again.

13. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

The Best OL in the league and the best running game in the league is not marginal talent.

14. nyjunc

we didn't have either, the run game and RBs were good/very good but not great.

15. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

That was in his rookie year.

16. NCJetsfan

Yes, he could have said he preferred to keep Bray who wanted to remain with the Jets and was willing to accept less to stay. He also could have said that either Holmes or Bray would be fine with him, or just deflect the question and say that's Tannenbaum's decision.

17. nyjunc

you do know Braylon has done absolutely nothing since 2010, right? do we think he magically reverts to 2010 form just b/c he stays here?

18. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Get outta here with that nonsense. They try to STOP QBs, not scout and develop them. Give me a break! Holy generalization batman! Blaming Rex for QB development is so :rofl: I can't even take that notion seriously.

Read the bold for a text book definition of a non sequitar. Santonio won us multiple games in the clutch by extending plays. He also greatly influenced our biggest playoff win since 68 when he made a crazy corner end zone grab reminiscent of the one that won him superbowl MVP against the Patriots on the road. Sorry but he was great that year. You can quote stats all you want, but they are useless without watching the games. He, individually, won us a bunch of close games, late. Denial of this is lunacy. This is why he was resigned. He made our playoff run possible that year. You can deny it all you want, but that's the truth. Blaming Rex for his contract is like blaming Thurman for the offensive line.

Why aren't you blaming Eli's pick frenzy this year on Coughlin? Didn't he throw more than Geno? What about Cruz production? Might as well let that guy go. Why aren't you blaming the lack of offensive line on Coughlin? Oh wait, I know, the GM actually has a job and responsibility and everything doesn't automatically fall on the HC... except when it's the Jets. Weak olines = less deep shots and less WR production (unless it's Santonio or Rex, then it's completely their fault).

The arguments against Rex have devolved into, "Ohhh, he can't develop QBs!" Really? Can you even type that with a straight face? I mean why even hire a QB coach then? Might as well have Rex develop the QB since he's an expert on D, he must know everything about QB mechanics when scouting. :rofl:

#518 Barcs, Dec 27, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  19. NCJetsfan

Yes, but at that time he was playing at a very high level. I think his decline was related to the injury he got with the Niners, plus he wasn't really wanted there. I think because he loved it with the Jets, his heart and desire kept him playing at a higher level here. We'll never know how his career would have continued if he had stayed with the Jets rather than being allowed to sign as a FA elsewhere, but I think there's a good chance he might not have gotten injured here and that his play would not have tailed off as quickly as it did.

20. Barcs

Barcs Banned

In all fairness he did injure his knee the next year. Had he stayed, there's a chance that doesn't happen and he has a similar year to 2010.

That's the thing, we started out doing the right thing for sanchez. First year we had the strong oline & running game, perfect for a rookie. 2nd year, oline takes a step back but is still decent. The running game takes a step back but is decent. Sanchez has 4 solid targets (Holmes - Edwards - Cotchery - Keller). In 2011, we lose 2 of 3 of the WR targets, the oline takes another step back and Holmes doesn't get nearly the same amount of targets per game. Sanchez gets banged up all year and by the end he's a shell of his former self. 2011 was the year that Sanchez was supposed to take off, but he lost most of his weapons and had no protection. It didn't improve in 2012 either, it got worse and tons of people got injured. In 2013 we went back to rookie QB and improved the running game. If we didn't overpay Holmes in 2011, kept Braylon and built on his weapons the past few seasons might have been different. Instead we overpay a bunch of players and alienate Cotchery, thus losing most of our cap and having Sanchez adjust to new targets. We pretty much replaced a whole bunch of starters with UFAs and practice squad fodder and it hurt our depth, which has been an issue the past 2 years at least. It's Tanny's fault, in reality.

#520 Barcs, Dec 27, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2013