What is Your Final Vote on Rex Ryan?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Dec 18, 2013.

?

What Would You Do With Rex Ryan?

1. Keep Him

77.7%
  2. Fire Him

22.3%
  1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Why? It doesn't matter one whit who we fans think might be a qualified candidate. Idzik knows what his plan for the future is. We aren't privy to that. We aren't privy to what the prospective HCs would want to do, what control they'd want, what kind of changes they'd want to make, etc. Pulling a name out of hat because of what he did with another team is basically meaningless. It only shows whether he's been successful, has some quality experience. A prospective HC candidate could seem like a GREAT new HC, but be a horrible fit with Idzik's vision. Conversely, some guy that few of us know anything about or some guy like Jay Gruden or Romano or Bevell that some of us might think was a great candidate could wind up being a terrible fit. Then there's the personality aspect and the salary and other considerations.

We fans can have opinions on whether we like a coach or not and whether he should be fired or stay, but even then, we'll never have all the facts, and we all could be wrong in one way or another. We can speculate until doomsday, but never know exactly how much input Rex has had into the drafts, FA and shaping the roster. If we did, it might change a lot of people's minds one way or the other.

2. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

If you want change for change's sake you'll be sorry.

3. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I highly disagree with this comment. I watch the games. There have been plenty in 2012 and 2013 that were beyond winnable, but the Jets blew it. You can blame lack of talent, etc, but they need to be won. That simple.

4. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

I just read an article linking Seattles DC Dan Quinn as a potential HC. Obviously pure speculation. How would u feel if we fired RR for another defensive guy?

5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

If Rex is fired, I don't think the main issue should be what side of the ball the guy coaches, but what his plan is for both the offense and the defense, if that plan fits with Idzik's, what systems he's gonna run, how organized he is, what his experience is, etc. Of course, I think I'd greatly prefer an offensive guy as the new HC because the offense is in such bad shape. That doesn't mean that Idzik can't fix the offense on his own or with the aid of the new OC.

A DC could turn out to be an excellent HC. He could have a better understanding than Rex of offense, and not be that far off in his abilities as a defensive mind.

As long as a strong team is built that will be a perennial contender, and the CS and coaching will be good, ultimately I don't care if Rex is the HC, Idzik decides to do both jobs, or a STs Coordinator is hired as the new HC. I just want a winner. I'm tired of the mediocre crap.

6. The Dark Knight

Sounds like he would be an Idzik guy for sure, if coming from Seattle. Obviously the key here is winning. It is that simple. Idzik has to build a winner with the draft and free agency. If the new coach comes in and succeeds, it was a good move. If he fails, it was a bad move. If they keep Rex and he wins, it was a good move, if 2014 is wasted and Jets suck again, people will say keeping Rex was terrible. Call me Al Davis, but I say Just Win Baby!

7. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Reading this kinda leans towards the coaching being the reason we were even in some of those games we "should've" won, no?

It all revolves around the same thing. There was plenty of games that we won and had no business winning. The coaching staff did an amazing job which allowed us to win those games we had no business winning.

A lot of the games we "should've" won, we had no business winning.

It goes both ways.

The bottom line is, if your roster looks like the Jets roster of the past three years, your going to be in for a long season. I don't care who is the HC of this team, it wouldn't matter.

I share the same mindset as many others on this board, it amazes me we went 8-8 in 11', it surprises me that we managed to win 6 games last year, and this year was simply the best coaching effort I've seen from the Rex Ryan era.

It is amazing that we have a chance to go 8-8 this year. It really is.

8. The Dark Knight

I agree with that. Starting a 2nd Round QB who has no business being on an NFL field in 2013, with an average O-line at best, and no WR's at all except for a slot WR in Kerley. A young defense without Revis. 7 wins has been great. Blaming the coaching for this season, would be beyond insane.

9. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Thinking the Jets over achieved is the ultimate kidding yourself argument. The Jets have 1st round draft choices all over the roster. The NFL is full of mediocre teams that actually have winning records and make the playoffs.

In the AFC 4 divisions 1 of them has 3 teams with losing records the other 3 have 2 teams with losing records. Our division played the NFC South where half the teams have a losing record. Our own division has 2 teams with a losing record. This year unless you're a team in the AFC South that actually played the NFC West it is virtually impossible to have a 500 record or below and have overachieved.

The NFL is not a league of overachievers, it's a league that rewards mediocre teams with wins every single week.

Did Rex outcoach the Bills coming out of a bye with a chance to go to the playoffs against an equally bad team? How did we do against the Dolphins, Ravens, Pittsburgh?

Hanging your hat on the win over NO at home when they were limited as your example of "Overachieved" isn't lol worthy. There's nothing funny about lying to yourself. Nobody is hating on Rex or has an agenda. That's the argument of a guy with nothing. "People" were so sure we sucked before the season means nothing. The fact that near the end of the season you think having a losing record or a 500 record is overachieving isn't on "People" it's on you.

#429 Biggs, Dec 24, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
  10. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

The Jets overachieved by a wide margin unlike your team which underachieved by a wide margin. Sure we have some talent to build around but most of it is very young and we had a boatload of injuries.

Let's recap the year
    -traded best player in franchise history
    -starting QB has to endure sham competition and gets hurt b/c of it
    -backup, rookie QB who isn't ready to play is then forced to start
    -Chris Ivory banged up early
    -Vlad Ducasse started year
    -Mike Goodson plays less than 2 full games
    -holmes, coming off a major injury, will play 11 games
    -Kerley missed 4 games
    -Winslow was suspended 4 games
    -Cumberland missed games

It was a miracle, the best coaching job in football, to get this team to 7-8 wins.

11. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Fucking pissed. Rex is the best defensive mind in the NFL, settling for another defensive coordinator will really make me question Idzik.

12. nyjunc

I think I will ready to stop caring so much if they make these rumored moves. I'd love to say I won't watch but I know I can't do that. I can't believe we are going to fire Rex and we wonder why can never get to a SB.

13. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Rex is not the best defensive mind in the NFL. Your homer is very strong.

14. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Yeah I'm sure Wade Phillips is SO much better - you called him one of the better coordinators in the game, yet his defense is statistically worse with better talent.

Who is better then Rex Ryan?

15. nyjunc

Jet fans deserve Kotite, Groh, Coslet, etc...

16. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Yes a few fans on an internet message board represents all Jets fans. :roll eyes:

Lots of Jets fans are impatient and want a SB. That makes sense, it's been a long time.

17. nyjunc

it seems to be the majority not a few. You guys wanted the winningest playoff QB in team history gone and the majority here are quitters. They don't want to fight through hard times, have we noticed this trend of hiring a new coach every 3-5 years isn't working? maybe the impatient nitwits should have a little patience as we are retooling this team. we have a top 10 HC in this league, the best thing to happen to this franchise ever and we want to throw him out for the next flavor of the month coordinator who we(I hate saying we as I am embarrassed to be associated w/ these Jet fans) will want fired in another 3-4 years to start the cycle all over again.

18. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I don't think this is going to boil down to whether or not Idzik conforms to the NFL trend with offensive potency or continues with the defensive mentality the Jets hold.

With Seattle, San Fran, KC and I'd even throw AZ in there this year, if you can find the balance of a dominant defense and capable offense, your team will be solidified at the top tier in the NFL.

It's clear, defense wins. BUT obviously, as we all know, you need the CAPABLE OFFENSE.

Rex should be most worried about the penalties. Aside from Geno's turnovers, the penalties put the Jets' defense in many poor positions. If you can't put your team in a position to succeed, you are not holding up your end of the bargain as a HC.

I think there is where Rex is deficient. Yes, we all know the players will run through walls for him but despite his growth as a coach, he is still very unrefined. The penalties are completely unacceptable and have not gotten better as he's accrued tenure as a HC. (2009 - 108, 2010 - 115, 2011 - 102, 2012 - 83, 2013 - Currently 103 and counting.)

Also, can a self admitted offensive ignoramus find the scouting team to bring in the necessary talent to make this offense "capable"? I'm not confident it can.

So with the penalties, inability to develop a QB and scout offensive talent, despite overachieving with a deficient team, I think Rex is at the short end of this one.

#438 GQMartin, Dec 24, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
  19. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Except it is the coaches fault we were forced to start a 2nd round QB and we didn't have Revis all of last year, so no real adjustment there.

20. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Again, on an internet message board. If we put these fans in actual organizational roles within the Jets, I'm sure it would be a lot different than venting on a forum. Look at what you read compared to the actual vote that occurred.

We don't need to have another QB discussion :grin:

The opposite isn't just keeping a coach forever. There's always the chance you aren't hiring the right coaches are doing it the wrong way (saddling an incoming HC with an OC, saddling an incoming GM with a HC, etc etc).

Look at the vote though, 76.22% of fans on this board want to keep him. So I don't think we as fans really want to throw him out. The majority actually seems to want to keep him.