What is Your Final Vote on Rex Ryan?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Dec 18, 2013.

?

What Would You Do With Rex Ryan?

1. Keep Him

77.7%
  2. Fire Him

22.3%
  1. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Couldn't agree more. We don't need a new coach. We need a QB. Rex has another year on his contract. I say they let him play it out. The bad QB luck isn't Rex's fault.

2. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

No HC plays out the last year on their contract. Players don't fear a coach with no power. Bench me? Cool.....pay me.

Any dissension and the team would spiral out of control. Teams need a coach they know has a future.

3. laxin

laxin Active Member

Why?

Rex is the HC of this football team. He is responsible for ALL 3 phases, not just his precious defense. He is certainly at blame for the way this offense ha turned out, and in turn the QB.

He was responsible for the Sparano hire, which ultimately led to the demise of Mark Sanchez. His philosophy of being a defensive team is reflected in how the resources of this team are used, which ultimately has caused the atrocious "talent" level of this offense.

He's a fucking HEAD COACH. The guy needs to be held accountable like one, not a fucking defensive coordinator.

4. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

Barcs, let me ask you this....

Rex has had 5 years now. What offensive player has he, as a head coach, developed into a star? Don't care if he drafted him, had a hand in drafting him or not. Surely as a head coach in half a decade he could coach up/develop one offensive star, right? Which player is that?

Again....not a mediocre player. Just, One. Star.

Your call.

5. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Rex just needs a few more CB's, safeties and LB's to complete his defense first. Then we can focus on offense. We need some continuity and stability. Oh and even after we get every position on the defense to be a 1st and 2nd round pick, all defensive shortcomings are to be blamed on the offense.

#305 NotSatoshiNakamoto, Dec 20, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
  6. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Woodhead was cut prior to Pryce being brought in. I had no problem bringing in Pryce at that time and he was part of a couple great D performances beating Manning and Brady on the road.

7. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

You probably can look it up on this forum. The day the Jets traded for Santonio Holmes I was all for it, but I was also against him being on the team after the 2010 season. I thought that was an excellent trade just to get use out of him for one year. Giving up a 5th rounder for 12 regular season games and several playoff games was a good move, I thought. Get something out of him in 2010 and let him leave as a free agent. It is okay to use a good weirdo for a year when he is motivated (read: playing for a big contract), but just don't you be the team to sign him.

As for you reading my comment about the salary cap and thinking I am a big free agency fan, that would be an incorrect assumption. That is my fault for not making myself clear in the prior post. I most approve of the way the Packers and Steelers do things. Building through the draft is the best way to achieve success. I don't usually like big splash moves in free agency. What I prefer are several moves for non-household name players. Jason Worilds would be a nice addition. Jeremy Maclin is the one "household name" player who the Jets should target. Coming off an injury, the Jets should be able to get him at a decent price. Maclin would probably be the highest profile/biggest name player that I would want the Jets to pursue. Beyond those two players, any other moves in free agency should be for lesser players who are not going to cost a ton. It is up to the pro personnel department to identify current backups or non-name players around the league who will be good fits with the Jets.

The key with the Jets being in a better cap situation in 2014 is that contracts can be restructured, important players could be kept instead of lost to free agency and it opens up the possibility of trading for a veteran or two. Getting into a better cap situation does not mean the team can or should start acting like the Redskins or the Raiders and try to "win" the spring season.

written by me about 350 days ago-

Rex Ryan's record is getting worse. There could be many reasons for this. In short, I think the quarterback is bad and the overall personnel has deteriorated since the Eric Mangini era.

The only other head coach to make the playoffs his first two years with a particular team and follow it up with consecutive seasons with a. 500 or worse record and no playoff appearances was Ray Rhodes with the Eagles from 1995-98.

Ryan
    9-7
    11-5
    8-8
    6-10

Rhodes
    10-6
    10-6
    6-9-1
    3-13

Ryan's record through four seasons is more similar to Rich Kotite's first four years.

Regular season wins, first four years
    Ryan- 9, 11, 8, 6
    Kotite- 10, 11, 8, 7

A couple months ago Rex Ryan press conferences became reminiscent of Kotite press conferences. After several rough losses Ryan expressed bewilderment as to why his team played so poorly after such a great week of practice. These press conferences also began to feature the inability to answer questions.

Rhodes and Kotite were both fired after their fourth seasons. Should Ryan suffer the same fate? Well, from a historical sense it does not look good for Ryan. There is no example of a playoffs-playoffs-no playoffs/bad record-no playoffs/bad record head coach rebounding and making his team be good again.

I understand maybe finding such a particular type of four-year performance from a head coach was a little too technical. But maybe not. Maybe there is something to this. Maybe Ryan had initial success due to the Mangini core.

Of course, just because Kotite and Rhodes never were good again does not mean Ryan will not rebound.

Beyond the Kotitesque record here are more particular problems-
    *Four years of clock management issues (a major issue in three losses in 2009; still a problem but there has been improvement in this area)
    *Timeout usage is questionable (one time a timeout was called before the first play from scrimmage)
    *Inability to answer questions with straight answers for the past two months (Ryan cited his own gut as the reason why Mark Sanchez gives the team the best chance to win; never mentioned actual football skills such as accuracy, ability to properly read a defense, ability to control the football, etc.)
    *Once knowingly dressed an injured backup QB and had the healthy backup QB in street clothes
    *Claimed to have no idea why healthy star wide receiver was sitting on bench in season finale in 2011
    *Admitted he lost control of locker room in 2011

#307 Cakes, Dec 21, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
  8. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

i don't think the QB play is all on Rex. Sometimes you just don't have the right guy, regardless of where you drafted him.

i do agree on the Sparano hire though.... that was a Rex hire, seemed reasonable at the time, but the guy totally tanked and was not a good hire.
    the Sparano hire, and the way the 2011 season ended, were the lowest points of the Rex tenure for me. I do feel he's improved from those mistakes though, and Rex and team are back on the upswing..

Regardless of coach, we still need to find some semblance of answer at QB.

9. JdotGriff

JdotGriff Well-Known Member

And exactly what player do you believe it would have been with a different head coach that would have developed into a star?

10. Dreadmadseen

Dreadmadseen Active Member

We don't need a new coach. We don't even need a new QB. We need a stronger Offensive line. We need #1 and #2 WRs. We need a stronger secondary. We're losing Tone and Cro. We need younger leadership at those positions.

Looking forward to free agency.

11. Kentucky Jet

Kentucky Jet Active Member

We need an additional QB to provide competition to Geno. We need REX Ryan to stay as HC and provide continuity. Its pretty dumb to not provide a raw QB with time to grow and better surrounding players. Constantly changing QBs and HCs is tantamount to constantly losing! We need continuity!

12. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Danny woodhead would have been our best offensive player the last 2 years.

13. Mitch_Dumstein

Amen

Great post

We have our HC, GM and QB in place finally. Time to use our 40+ million and 11-12 draft picks like the precious assets they are to continue building an NFL cathedral we can ALL be proud to root for in 2014 and beyond

14. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

I say KEEP HIM!!! And, clearly, I'm in the majority...almost 3 to 1!!

Look, considering what he has won with and the teams he has been given I think he has done a fantastic job. There is not a coach out there that is perfect...if you are waiting for that then you'll be waiting a long time. Even "Chucky" has his flaws...

The good far outweigh the bad when it comes to Rex Ryan. End of story. If you can't see that then take off your clouded glasses and look objectively at the coaching ranks. About the ONLY coach I would take over Ryan at this point would be J. Gruden or Joe Gibbs and we know BOTH of those aren't happening.

15. Mac Redstrum

Mac Redstrum Member

Say we keep Rex one more year and he goes 8-8 ...then what?

16. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Depends on if we're fielding a Div II college team again.

17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Cakes,

I agree pretty much wholeheartedly with your stance on FA. One possible disagreement might be Jon Asamoah. Would you consider him to be a big splash signing? He's a very good young OG and versatile. OGs don't usually break the bank, but I don't know what his possible price tag would be. He would help solidify our OL and should greatly help protect Geno (or whomever the starting QB is) and open things up for Ivory, Goodson and Powell.

What do you think?

18. NCJetsfan

Then Woody should be shot if he refuses to sell the team. ;-)

#318 NCJetsfan, Dec 21, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
  19. NCJetsfan

Zach,

Are you around? I'm curious what your responses are to my (#260 & #261) questions in response to your post #242.

20. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

I'm assuming you mean offensive skill-position player (because comparing him to Mangold is comedic), but for arguments sake, even if he would have been our best offensive player, that doesn't mean he's good. It just means he's better than the rest of the crap skill-position players that we have. We need good skill-position players to be a championship team, not just slightly better players than what we have now.