What is the worst player move the Jets ever made?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Poeman, Mar 9, 2015.

1. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

How about the play against the Steelers where Herm had Chad Pennington intentionally lose a few yards before the potentially game winning field goal so that the Steelers would have less clock to work with?

Doug Brien was the scapegoat for some horrible coaching.

2. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

fair point, I inferred it incorrectly from what you said. but lots of people do hate him. he gets more hate than vick and ray lewis combined it seems.

Pocket Jet likes this.
  3. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

sanchez extension was fine, not putting weapons around him was real issue.

Tebow trade was bad

Jolley trade was excellent. we had targeted Nugent and Miller w/ our 1st 2 picks(bash that all you want) and we moved down, acquired extra picks(gave us flexibility to move up to take Kerry Rhodes) and we got the 2 guys we would have picked w/ the original picks plus a vet TE. That was an excellent trade.

4. nyjunc

Brien blew the game, he was 4 yds closer on 2nd kick and had just missed by hitting crossbar.

5. nyjunc

in terms of actual move I would guess the worst in my lifetime has been Brett Favre. gave up multiple picks, had to release Chad Pennington and it cost us a rare division title for 1 year w/ Favre.

others:

Dexter Carter FA signing
    Neil O'Donnell FA signing
    The '99 FA class-Atwater, Green, etc...
    Moss trade
    Tebow

6. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

The Tebow trade was stupid because it wasn't necessary, but it didn't hurt the Jets. He wasn't a gain or a loss.

7. nyjunc

if he would have stopped trying to play QB I think it could have been a good trade but we gave away a mid rd pick for a punt protector and what was worse was all the nonsense that came with it including a QB controversy in the media even though there was never a competition. It was worse for off the field nonsense than on the field and it wasn't good for on the field.

Pocket Jet likes this.
  8. JetRizing89

JetRizing89 Well-Known Member

the worst move ever was LT from the 1 yard line against the steelers in the afc title game on 4th down when u had shonn greene sitting on the bench

score there and the jets probably advance to the super bowl

the dude who said brett favre is a moron (favre was great for the first 11 weeks and got injured, if he stayed healthy the jets would won the division with ease, banking ur hopes on chad pennington in 2008 made no sense)

9. nyjunc

Not necessarily, remember Pitt fumbled snap and we got 2 pts and the ball back pulling w/in 5. had we scored it would have been 24-17 but Pitt's O would have been in much better FP.

the only morons are the oens that think Favre was great for the first 11 weeks. he was healthy enough to play, he made his career on playing through pain. he doesn't get an injury excuse.

10. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Good thread. This franchise has been cursed with so many bad moves. My favorite takes us back to the 1992 season. Two young QB's, Browning Nagle (1991 2nd round choice) and Jeff Blake (1992 6th round choice) are "competing" for the job. Despite the fact that Blake clearly outplayed Nagle in the preseason, the Jets give the job to Nagle. Jeff Blake goes on to Cincy and becomes a dynamic passer and all-pro.

11. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

DeWayne Robertson... What a piece of crap!

12. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Yes he was, although I think the kneel down was the to get the ball centered (It was OT). I remember at the time the announcers said that it would have been the longest made FG at that end of Heinz Field.
    These.... Dexter Carter was supposed to be an explosive player for the team. A former 1st round pick and pro bowler with the 49ers he was cut halfway through is 1st season as he was so bad there was no other option.

That FA class is what prevented us from going out and signing big time FA's during the Herm era.

One that slides under the radar as it didn't exactly come back to bite us in the ass but I would say never giving a 7th round pick out of East Carolina a chance. We cut him and he becomes a pro bowl QB and reliable starter for the Bengals.

13. nyjunc

let's take it easy, Blake became a decent QB for a brief time. he was never all pro, he made one pro bowl. remember that Nagle was the 2nd rounder and supposed to be QB of future, can't blame Jets for giving him first crack. the problem was they never gave Blake a chance and he was gone after a year.

14. nyjunc

Remember Heinz Field was only a few years old at that point, since then a million guys have made much longer FGs into that EZ including a week later when I think Vinatieri made a near 50 yarder.

Blake was an odd situation, I don't know why we let him go after 1992. did he get hurt? I remember he played a little late in 1992.

15. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

wait.. WTF?!?!?!?

Then trying to justify Herm's ABSOLUTE ASSHAT decision...... dude, are you drunk?

16. nyjunc

EXCELLENT trade, not even really debatable.

17. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I don't think I've ever disagreed with you more on anything. The Jets had determined at that point that they didn't need Heath Miller, so went for that package deal instead. That alone made it a cringe worthy trade, and then they put the cherry on top by taking Nugent in the 2nd round. Kickers are NEVER worth drafting above round 6, and even then they should be a transcendent talent, which Nugent was not.

18. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

bwhahahahahaha Maybe I'M drunk because I don't believe what I just read.........o_O

19. nyjunc

criticize how they evaluated players but you cannot criticize the trade. They prioritized Miller and Nugent. the likelihood if they didn't move would have been they would have taken Miller in rd 1.

The execution of draft picks you can bash away, the execution of the trade you cannot.

20. nyjunc

read the other posts, trade itself was great.