What is the worst player move the Jets ever made?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Poeman, Mar 9, 2015.

1. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

Passing on Dan Marino in '83

2. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

This is probably way before most of you were even born. We had a OL named Bob Talamini who we acquired from the Oilers the season before who was demanding more bucks to play the 69 season. Weeb as GM & I guess Hess refused his request so Talamini retired resulting in a hole in a OL which eventually led to our downfall in the 69 season :mad:

Poeman likes this.
  3. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Nice, going far into the memory bank...I had to google who this guy was. Dude looked serious.

[​IMG]

4. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

Trading two first round picks AND a fourth round pick to trade up and select DeWayne Robertson.

What a piece of crap!

b.reyes16, xxedge72x and Poeman like this.
  5. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

yes typical NYJs short sightedness. He was the anchor during the 68 season & wanted some small increase for the 69 season but Weeb & I guess Hess said no & a shot of us winning SB #2 went down the tubes with his retirement :mad:

6. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Keeping Parcelles around when his time was up.

7. GWjet

GWjet Well-Known Member

Trading Huge Douglas to Philly for a second rounder who turned out to be Dorian Boose WHO ? That's right Dorian Boose. FML

chris5533 likes this.
  8. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

In retrospect, it pains me to admit it but taking fellow alum Rob Moore in the supplemental draft in 1990.

That move deprived us of our first round pick in 1991 and cost us Brett Favre.

(Assuming we can't vote for Parcells not convincing Manning to come out and not taking Marino over O'Brien).

_

TwoHeadedMonster and NCJetsfan like this.
  9. JStokes

10. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Well considering my OP says do NOT use draft picks as they are usually crapshoot it seems none of your answers work answer my question. Maybe Rob Moore because I didn't note supplemental draft

11. JStokes

No no no, I'm not saying we "passed" on somebody like Marino or that Parcells no show--but that move of drafting Rob Moore absolutely sabotaged the franchise.

Besides, you're not the boss of me :D

_

12. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

Removing consideration of my actual screen-name...

For me, --- it has to be the Tim Tebow move. Because I could see the disaster magnitude of it before he even got off the plane at Newark.

As much as the Neil O'Donnell move was dumb, - guy was coming off the Super Bowl win & a decent (not a great, but decent) season.

Trading a first rounder for Doug Jolley and a second rounder used to pick a kicker, ---- in retrospect, this was horrible. But, at the time --- a lot of people thought it wasn't a bad idea. We used 2 picks (1st + 2nd ) to parlay into getting 3 players ---- 1) a capable TE (at least he was at the time) 2) CB Justin Miller 3) Mike Nugent. It wasnt vilified on draft day like when Jacksonville picked a punter in round 3 a couple of years ago.

No draft mistake could come close to the Warren Sapp / Kyle Brady incident.

13. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

14. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

I mean, come on, Two first round picks and a fourth round pick to trade up and select DEWAYNE ROBERTSON?!?!?!

15. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Hiring Mangini? You mean the guy who built Rex's AFC title game rosters? He wasn't the best hire in the world but Mangini gets a bad rap. If Favre isn't stubborn with his iron man bull crap we may be in the playoffs for 2 out of 3 of Manginis seasons.

He was a decent head coach but seemed like he would be an excellent front office player.

The 1985er and Jake like this.
  16. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Absolutely. It is obvious to me that the draft strategy in 13 was to pick Milliner as the replacement for Revis. If Revis had not been traded, they could have picked Richardson, SHOULD HAVE PICKED Richardson, at 6 instead of Milliner. So in effect although it was not the actual pick the Jets received from Tampa that was used to pick Richardson, it was really Milliner the Jets got in return.

Btw I would also add the fact that Tampa did not put Revis to good use is irrelevant to whether it was a bad deal for the Jets.

17. Big Blocker

Putting that package together to get Robertson was definitely top five, but I am not sure it was the worst. I won't argue against your pick, though.

18. NJJ_Jersey_Jets

NJJ_Jersey_Jets Well-Known Member

Would've been John Abraham if we didn't get Mangold out of it.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  19. Big Blocker

I like the argument that signing Rick Mirer should be considered. I am not sure Lucas, that year, would have been good enough to take the Jets to the playoffs. But Mirer was awful and very quickly killed that season. By the time they took him out, it was too late.

Trading up to get Sanchez is another move that should be considered for this thread.

TwoHeadedMonster and chris5533 like this.
  20. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

considering it didn't cost much- - not really.