What is the biggest bandwagon franchise in the NFL

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jerseyjet0912, Jan 20, 2011.

?

Biggest Bandwagon team

1. Cowboys

107 vote(s)
    34.7%
  2. Packers

5 vote(s)
    1.6%
  3. Steelers

37 vote(s)
    12.0%
  4. Patriots

149 vote(s)
    48.4%
  5. Other

10 vote(s)
    3.2%
  1. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

packers - NOBODY was a packers fan until like 10 yrs ago...then everybody was sporting Packers swag.

2. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I like how he lists the Steelers legends and they're all on the 2010 roster. lol.

3. cmcm750203

cmcm750203 Well-Known Member

defintely more than 10 years ago but from the '70's to Favre the Packers were worse than pretty much any team in the NFL.

4. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Yeah, Lombardi left after the 1967 season. The team wasn't consistently good again until the Holmgren era. In those lean years they made playoff appearances only in 1972 and 1982.

5. YankeeSteel

YankeeSteel Banned

As in the hockey team that destroys the Rags and Devilettes and Islanders??

6. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I obviously picked the Pats.

A comment about the poll - I see many remarking on geographical dispersal of boys fans to be a deciding factor. I don't get that. I think the question is what percentage of a team's fans are bandwagoners. Geographic dispersal might suggest that bandwagoning is at work, but I don't think that is necessarily the case. Not to defend the Dallas franchise, which I hate number three after the fish and Pats, but they have been a high profile team for a long time. Maybe a fan living in say California liked Aikman and followed them since his heyday. Who knows? I've never been a Broncos fan, but I used to admire Elway for his ability and style of play, so I sort of found myself liking his team a bit, too. Not a fan by a long shot, but whatever increase in interest there was did lead me to take a less jaundiced view of the Broncos.

I think what that involves is a general admiration for teams that succeed not because, as the bandwagoner does, one gets some personal benefit by identifying only with winners, as if there is some kind of moral benefit to be obtained. It is merely an interest in and admiration for people who seem to be going about it right, here that being playing the game of football.

Anyway, I think it beyond question that the largest percentage of a team's fanbase that became fans only to jump on the wagon of a winner is beyond question the Pats, even if they are not that geographically dispersed. Anyone who ever was in New England before 2001 knows the difference. And anyone who listens to your average Pats fan talk about their team and the game knows that they are only in it to be associated with a winner, and most likely would not even follow football at all if they were not winning, and will not when they stop.

#106 Big Blocker, Jan 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  7. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Pats with honorable mention to the Colts. People love their QBs these days....

8. JGuz649

JGuz649 New Member

Its whatever team is hot really. The NFL is reaching a much broader audience with the HDTVs, fantasy football and high profile players.

You see all these games where ratings are being shattered, and unlike baseball people will watch the playoffs even if their team isn't in it. It gets to the point where 2 teams are left and most fans will still have a strong opinion on who they want to win.

If the team they want to win, turns out winning, they celebrate as if it were their own thus filling the bandwagon like never before.

9. cmcm750203

cmcm750203 Well-Known Member

wow so witty with the names but you still didnt answer the question. when did you start following htem?

10. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

What about the 49ers?? They were a huge bandwagon team in the 80's and 90's. IF they start winning again, there will be a hell of a lot of fans that all of a sudden "remember" that they like the 9ers.

11. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Sorry, there's no way the winner isn't the Cowboys.

12. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

Come on, they had the greatest QB in football history.

13. Brick

Brick Member

I hope you didn't write my name instead of his insinuating that I am him and am trying to stir up anti-Jet sentiment.

I picture the conversation between YankeeSteel and his dad at age 13 in upstate New York:

YankeeSteel: "Dad - I'm sorry, but I'm don't want to root for the Bills anymore. They lose the Super Bowl every year! I'm going to be a Steelers fan. They win the Super Bowl when they get there."

YankeeSteel's Dad: "You are a faggot."

Pittsburgh delenda est.

14. YankeeSteel

YankeeSteel Banned

Sunday is going to be so much fun. Same Ole Jets. Shitty QB, and vanilla defense. Sorry but Ben's experience, and our 6 rings to your 1 championship proves we ARE Built to win. I got better things to do like get my tickets for Dallas!!! Superbowl 45 is ours.

15. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

16. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Whoops, I didn't even think about your username there. I was poking fun at YankeeSteel by paraphrasing something from "Anchorman" when the Brick Tamland character was staring at a lamp and saying he loved it.

17. Brick

Brick Member

Vanilla defense? HA!

How'd the Steelers do against Tom Brady at Heinz Field this year? The Pats let up against them late in the game too.

Teasing aside - If you can't understand why being a Yankee AND Steeler fan would gather some hate and hints that you are a bandwagoner, then you are a myopic fool.

18. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Hey. Where'd you get those clothes....the toilet store?

19. JetRizing89

JetRizing89 Well-Known Member

patriots by far

20. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Yeah Yankee and Steeler fan is some bulshit. I bet the Cowboys are his second favorite football team and now he's a big SF Giants fan.