What is it with Jets fans?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by burf, May 22, 2022.

1. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

It's akin to a student loan... :confused:

2. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Well said, my feeling to a T

Noam and James Hasty like this.
  3. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

When you get this feeling... you putthe guy on IGNORE. Move on.

Noam likes this.
  4. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I mean it IS entertaining sometimes. Also reassuring that I am not the dumbest person in the room.

Noam likes this.
  5. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

The optimist side of me believes we have enough skill position talent to make it difficult to defend against if there are no major injuries to the group and Zach takes a big leap forward.

Noam likes this.
  6. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

I hear you when you say that when the Jets won the super bowl in 69 you thought that that was how it was always going to be. At 14 years old in '69 & a Mets, Jets, Knicks, fan I thought all my favorite teams were going to win all the time like in '69...till reality set in. But I am a fan of these teams...& I take the good with the bad, & rite now I feel good about the direction the Jets are heading.

7. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

The gospel truth about Jet fans IMHO
    1) No two Jet fans in the football universe is ever created equal. In Jets land there are infinite degrees of suffering, a new kind is born every season and no old suffering ever dies.
    2) Jet fans watch games in many ways, some thru green colored glasses, others with critical binoculars, the faithful numbed by disappointment, the season ticket holders fueled by alcohol, anger and frustration to the ownership, the believers with eternal hope of a return to greatness and fond memories gone bye, and yet many more have gone underground, no longer care, no longer wear Jets gear, and don’t watch them hardly at all.
    3) BUT, to a T , no matter how you watch or refuse to watch your team, Every self proclaimed Jet fan on earth, past and present, has a very strong and often insufferable opinion of what is wrong with the Jets and how to fix this mess.
    4) Guaranteed outcome. No matter what the outcome of the coming seasons, awful, poor, average, good, far exceeded expectations, all variants short of winning the SB will have a percentage of the fans unhappy about something.
    5) No Jet fan ever really quits his love for the team, the team quits them

Brook!, Cman68 and westiedog1 like this.
  8. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

KY Jets Fan and LAJet like this.
  9. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

When our beloved Jets dominate in the SB our fans will be so jaded we won't even watch the game

NYJetsO12 and LAJet like this.
  10. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Most of us will be dead and gone...

11. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Love it.

westiedog1 likes this.
  12. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

May all of us TGG faithful be blessed with a couple more SB before we move on to eternal life. That is the way.

westiedog1, Cman68 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  13. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Hey I want just one more win ..a couple is gravy lol

My mind gets a rest from the Jets frustration by seeing how the Raiders do in their uber tough Division and Conference

westiedog1 and LAJet like this.
  14. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

To answer your main question: What is it with Jets fans?

It's the Jets.

#54 ukjetsfan, Jun 6, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2022
  15. RonPi

RonPi Well-Known Member

For me, every season is at least interesting, because I like football a lot to start but also because of the way the league
    and deals are set up, there are a bunch of chess pieces to make work and some chess players (the coaches) who have to find a
    way to make it work, and it interesting to see how it all works but it's also interesting to see how it doesn't work during
    bad seasons. So I can hold my interest in other teams if the Jets happen to bad in any given year, and still enjoy figuring
    out what went wrong with the Jets.

But the Jets (and many of their fans) have this almost childish fascination with "superstars", or wanna-be superstars, I
    think because they have yet to figure out that the limelight of NY is not what you want, so they pay out big money for first
    round picks that are not sure things, and the rest of the roster suffers because of it. Some of the fans on this chat are always
    rah-rah for these guys, and they never seem to learn.

Why do teams like Pittsburgh have continued success, and even when they are bad they are still 8-8 or thereabouts?
    Well, take a look at these yds receiving stats and draft round status for their wide receivers (and compare with the
    production from our receivers over the same period):

Diontae Johnson 1161 last year, with broken-down Ben throwing to them.
    Chase Claypool 860

JuJu Smith-Schuster 831 in 2020 plus production from the above guys

2019 was a down year with some of the same guys

2018 JuJu 1426
    A. Brown 1297

JuJu - 2nd round pick!
    Antonio Brown 6th round pick!
    Diontae Johnson 3rd round pick!
    Chase Claypool 2nd round pick!

Meanwhile, around here, somebody is all yippy-skippy about the Jets signing their first round WR pick and blowing $22.5mil
    on a guy who has never played a down in the league. Roster management is a big deal in the cap era, and the Jets keep blowing it,
    yet some of the fans here are crying because some of us aren't "Rah Rah everything is rosy". Sorry, I call it like I see it,
    and what I saw last year was 4-13.

Ron

azhar80 and westiedog1 like this.
  16. cval

cval Well-Known Member

WTF are you talking about? We should be upset that we signed our first round pick because the steelers found good receivers in the later rounds? our bad years have been really bad because the Jets kept missing on draft pick and overpayed for over the hill FA. This left a big lack of talent. The Jets were a perpetual .500 team with a playoff run every now and again until this last really bad run.

Jets fan continually called for a "complete" rebuild, well we finally did it and that looks like 1 and 4 wins respectively. You can call it like you see it all you want it is not our fault that you cannot see what the Jets are trying to do. I for one think they have done a good job with the rebuild through the draft now they just have to prove it on the field. Being hypercritical is not calling it like you see it it is calling to like you want to see it or think you see it.

#56 cval, Jun 7, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2022
  17. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

I gotta check in here. I was six when SB3 occurred. Don't remember it. However I clearly remember watching that great shootout in Baltimore between Joe and Johnny U. That game excited me for NFL football. Eddie Freakin' Bell! Got my season tix on my own when I was 16 ($9 per game in Loge) and really enjoyed the Sack Exchange years. We didn't get rewarded enough for the talent we had. Sat through all of the home games between 1979 and 2014. Was fully recharged for the 1998 season. I went to Denver. I went to Pittsburgh. Pain/ Pain. PSL's pushed me out gradually. Miss Giants stadium....

I am as optimistic as I have ever been right now. Sure, we don't know if Zach is a star, but everything else that's been happening lately with Joe D. has been all I could ask for to see us climb out of the latest "dark age" of Jets football. Its not easy to do what JD's been asked to do, but his 2022 draft checked more boxes that I expected so my optimism is pushed forward one year. It is being done the right way FINALLY. I believe this draft chopped a season off the rebuild timeline. Things MAY go right, and the Jets MAY take a giant leap forward this year. More so than Zach, I think the key is whether or not we get Mekhi back to being productive, and if Saleh is actually a good coach. Zach will be fine.

I think the next few seasons will be a lot of fun for all of us.

#57 LogeSection2RowJ, Jun 7, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2022
    KingRoach and ColoradoContrails like this.
  18. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Well said. Kind of half way thinking about responding to it myself, but A) was wondering what the hell was his point, and B) were is he going with that ? . Were Plaxico and Santonio Holmes bad picks for the Steelers on the first round? Holmes literally won the SB for them. You pick them were you see value, end of story. Across the league there has been plenty of 1st round picks WR over the last few years tearing it up. Contenders are way over paying, frankly up the kazoo, in free agency to get top WRs, recognizing the monster need in todays NFL, So taking a shot at someone with such potential was wrong as opposed to dishing out a kings ransom for Hill?
    I find it laughable to make the statement "what's the Jets fans fascination blah blah blah with a WR " to a team that has not gone 1st round on a WR in 15 years. As if we didn't desperately need to upgrade the position.
    I truly wonder if some of the people posting here are Jet fans sometimes.

ColoradoContrails and cval like this.
  19. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

You know figuring out Pi does not yield a conclusive answer.;) From the posts I've read from him, they hold true to form.

KingRoach likes this.
  20. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

eschew pompous prolixity and remember

BREVITY IS THE SOUL OF WIT