What if Fitz doesn't come back?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KingRoach, May 31, 2016.

?

what if Fitz doesn't come back?

1. Geno is going to impress the $h*t of some people

23 vote(s)
    23.5%
  2. Geno and a 2nd for Bradford with a $13M due this year and $7 next w/no dead money

8 vote(s)
    8.2%
  3. We move on and play 2016 with whomever wins the job in TC

67 vote(s)
    68.4%
  1. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

I just cannot see drafting a guy Round Two who you do not intend to play for two years.

2. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

All it might take to be better than Geno is the ability to throw the ball away once in a while. Not exactly an unreasonable demand.

Jets69 likes this.
  3. stevejets38

stevejets38 Active Member

hack will be starting in 2017, he is further along on reading a defense then geno and petty were coming out , rex's offense coaching staff blew ass and didn't teach the qb's shit on how to read a defense, this coaching staff is actually coaching them, and notice how all of a sudden after learning under this qb and coaching staff geno and petty have learned a lot in that area, both geno and petty came from spread offenses in college, petty picked up a lot this past year and geno has finally understood how to do it also , even at the nfl level u need to be taught, hats off to this coaching staff for actually earning there money and showing them what to do

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

He was throwing the ball away as a rookie the first half of the season and then he somehow forgot that was part of the job. It was amazing watching him throw the ball away after Sanchez, who never threw a ball away as Jet's QB. Then for some reason he stopped doing that and began holding the ball too long and making more bad decisions as a result. He was making bad decisions also while he was throwing the ball away but half of his drop backs became a bad decision after he started holding onto it like it was his ball and nobody else could have it.

I blame Rex for that. I think he drilled it into Geno just like he'd drilled it into Sanchez that being conservative with the ball meant holding onto it and not turning it over at all costs.

5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Reading a defense is only half the job. You have to make accurate throws under pressure and into tight spaces a lot of the time. I have no doubt the Jets can teach Hackenberg to make all the reads. My doubt is that he can then make all the throws he needs too to make that valuable. I'd really like to be wrong on this one.

6. stevejets38

stevejets38 Active Member

yea ur totally wrong and ur attitude is in shambles :p:D

7. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I can't type any slower to make this easier for you to understand. I have no problem with you making all the predictions in the world...for yourself. The arrogance arrives when you look for the invisible support of "everyone knows." This is an adult forum, try to act like one - speak for yourself, but it may be helpful to your point if you try to add reason to your thoughts before taking them to the keyboard.

8. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

That hit he took on the sideline at Oakland last year also made me shiver. I hope it was macho and not just dumb. I mean, maybe the felt the need to prove something after the Jawbreaker. Wasn't he also short one of his wideouts in the oakland game?

9. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

lol, 18 voting people think Geno will impress someone [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Have you forgotten that was under a different HC, OC and QB coach, in a totally different offensive system, and that he was thrown to the wolves wtih no talent around him, and little or no help from his CS? Have you forgotten what it's like to be 21 years old?

Comments like yours are totally stupid. You guys who totally write off players because they aren't stars from day one are clueless.

edray10, tomdeb and matt robinson 17 like this.
  11. NCJetsfan

It wasn't all based on potential. His freshman year he had good production.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  12. NCJetsfan

It doesn't really matter that Oakland's secondary wasn't that good. Geno was playing after missing TC, preseason and a big chunk of the regular season and had a lot of rust. The fact of the matter is that if he hadn't put up good numbers vs. Oakland, posters here would have been screaming for his head even more. Many here are just haters. They are quick to dismiss anything positive he does and excuse it away, but when rational posters in the middle try to bring up legitimate reasons for his poor play his first two seasons, we are called "genobots" and those reasons are dismissed as "Excuses." You guys can't have it both ways.

As for your more important questions, we'll never know unless he is given the opportunity.

The 1985er and matt robinson 17 like this.
  13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

well you said he's a worse QB than Fat boy Francessa. If impressing you = "exceeding your expectations", I'd suggest you pick that option. Cause he's gotta be way better than that sloppy POS

14. GordonGecko

Well if the Jets don't offer Fitzpatrick money for years 2&3 you'll get to see as much of your boy Geno as you want. Just be careful what you wish for

15. NCJetsfan

In general, "luck" had absolutely nothing to do with it. We had horrible GMs and no continuity or stability. Clemens was a bad pick, period.

We didn't get unlucky with Sanchez. He was a bad pick, and then they did everything they could to see that he failed. Everyone said that he wasn't ready for the NFL, and that he needed to sit for at least a year, if not two. What did the stupid Jets do? They threw him to the wolves and the dumbass HC predicted a Super Bowl victory, putting a ton of pressure on him.

Regarding Geno, the Jets had put themselves in an impossible situation. The fanbase would have revolted if Sanchez was still the starter. Geno had talent, but needed to sit for a year or two, and had attitude and maturity issues that normally would probably have precluded a team from taking him that high, even with all his physical talent. With a more stable team with a professional GM who had an inkling what he was doing, the Jets would never have been in the position of having to take a QB in 2013 and would have waited until 2014 to take a QB.

In general, I think luck has little to do with the draft. With good teams/organizations, even when draft picks don't pan out, there is enough talent/depth to overcome it, and they don't overreach for players or make dumb moves out of desperation. Teams make their own "luck" with smart GMs and CSs that can teach and develop young players.

16. NCJetsfan

He may have started holding onto the ball due to Rex, or he may have been pressing, trying to do too much as the losses piled up, or some combination of the two.

17. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Right, Rex probably taught him that behind the back trick and showed him the footwork needed to retreat twenty or thirty yards rather than throwing the ball away. Rex did it!

18. GordonGecko

lol - I will definitely buy that Schottenheimer screwed up Sanchez and someone might be able to convince me that Rex messed Sanchez up even more, but Geno Smith's problems are the psychological ones he brought with him when he signed with the team. He's unable to make appropriate decisions under pressure and lacks any form of leadership. Nobody in that locker room respects him, especially after he got punched in the face for a lousy $500 debt after he skipped out on a commitment

19. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Don't short change him.

It was $600.

_

20. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Do you think players are like robots and coaches simply program specific actions into them? Rex didn't have to teach him the specific action, it's what that action represents -- an undisciplined players who is not making smart decisions. Yeah, that doesn't sound like Rex -- undisciplined and unsound decision making.