What happened to gabby?

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by typeOnegative13NY, Sep 17, 2021.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

It is easier than ever before to just make an article out of what people are saying with twitter at their fingertips. I dont think its nefarious, I think it's just too easy & too cheap to go down that route

Ralebird and Acad23 like this.
  2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Yes it's easy and cheap but it is also a major distraction that the corporations use to their advantage. I do think it is nefarious however I think most of the people doing it are not doing it with nefarious intentions. I think they're just doing what they are asked to do and being well rewarded in the process. journalistic integrity takes a back seat to getting paid well. That's a new development over the last 30 years or so.

Ralebird likes this.
  3. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Nothing like listening to a someone from the BBC just eviscerate an interviewee. Those guys take no shit from anyone.

4. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Sounds like you're talking about local news coverage... I'm talking about the degradation of national news distributed by mainstream outlets.

There are entire blocks of news funded by Pfizer or other big corporations.
    Do you think a news organisation will "drill down" on their biggest sponsors?

There are but a few national news outlets where any investigative reporting is done... and it ain't MSNBC or CNN... they are a joke.
    Just like in Washington D.C., corporate money has corrupted everything.

5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

All of the major news operations are owned by an umbrella corporation that also has extraordinary interests in news stories that the journalism branch is covering.

This is a departure from the era pre-70's where most news organizations were independently owned and operated.

I believe the first major merger was Time and Warner Brothers and then eventually melding Turner into the mix. I could be wrong through. Viacom, NBC and Paramount all merged various ways in the early 90's.

I believe Time and Warner was in the late 80's.

6. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Yeah... I've worked in television nearly all my life but never in hard news... closest I got was entertainment & sports news...
    so my perspective is limited to talking with co-workers that had left "hard news" because of disenchantment.

Even in sports television we had to pull punches sometimes as to not fuck with league contracts... but nothing flagrant.

7. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Wait, what happened to Gabby again? ;)

8. BrowningNagle

How about in Michigan some whack job claimed the school was installing litter boxes in the bathroom for students that identify as cats. The superintendent had to come out and deny the ridiculous nonsense once, but it got picked up by all the news afterward and more parents showed up to the latest school board meeting demanding for "something to be done."

So he's gotta come out and issue communication that it of course isn't true - yet again.

Just a real life example of what Br4d was talking about far too much "man in the street" reporting...

9. bicketybam

If she hoses me after my team won a game like that, I wouldn't care if she dropped trow and took a shit on me. I'm a desperate Jets fan.

10. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

I had to look that up. Lol.

Imagine , the accuser had to dream that up. They need an evaluation

BrowningNagle likes this.
  11. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

That's lazy journalism... not "man in the street" reporting.

12. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what you characterize as the "power elite" is the cause; more likely they give their "audience" what that group is seeking - simplicity, unfortunately that is often simplistic as well. There is no need to go into detail when most of the audience has no interest in going beyond the headlines. 280 characters on Twitter, even 2200 on Instagram cannot adequately tell a story that a traditional newspaper would use a thousand or more words to tell. A detailed analysis can often go 5,000 - 10,000 words or more. Nobody wants to exert the effort to read that much but think they know the whole story by reading different variations on the same social media limited blurbs. They're just print versions of a forty second "news report."

BrowningNagle likes this.
  13. BrowningNagle

yeah that's a good point, the people who consume the news don't want to have to do any thinking. So we have ourselves to blame too

Ralebird likes this.
  14. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Twitter IS effective when it links to a story that is told in full.
    Whether the user takes the time to read it is on them.

15. typeOnegative13NY

Figured I’d just add it to this thread….

but finally, Britney Drexel has been found, and they have an arrest. It’s huge news here where she disappeared. Not sure how far reaching it is everywhere else. But she disappeared from ocean Blvd here in Myrtle beach in 09, while on spring break. She was caught on camera leaving one hotel where her friends were staying, and not making it all the way on her one mile walk back to her hotel.

16. bicketybam

That fucking creep did time for raping 6 girls between the ages of 8 and 17. He should have rotted in prison.

typeOnegative13NY likes this.
  17. typeOnegative13NY

Yeah, how he was even out….

18. bicketybam

I read he did 21 years out of the 40 year sentence. Unreal.

19. typeOnegative13NY

They have to know what the result will be, letting these serial freaks back out again. That shit can’t be cured or rehabilitated. They may find he’s responsible for more here, there’s another young girl who went missing in that area just a few years before that hasn’t been solved.

20. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

typeOnegative13NY likes this.