What Gase Has Done Well

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FrontOfficeFanatic, Nov 17, 2019.

1. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

He has secured the bag

2. VegasMav

VegasMav Well-Known Member

I'm willing to see Gase implement his system. Not having Monospicious Darnold for 3-4 games didn't help. OLine is a disaster. Douglas has some work to do and I have confidence that he will get the job done.

3. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

There are certainly some built in excuses for Gase this season. At the same time, we’ve seen some of the worst Jets football in years, and that’s saying something.

The article about Darnold going to Gase to talk about what plays he likes makes me wonder. It’s entirely possible that Darnold was just keeping track of the plays that Gase called that we’re getting him destroyed, free runners, etc, and he just had enough.

A good coach would never put his QB in a position like that. He would see that his play design was failing and change it, not wait for the QB to get fed up. Or maybe Sam wasn’t fed up with getting the crap beaten out of him and really just wanted to let Gase know about some plays he likes. Who knows? Regardless, it’s scary to think that it took until the middle of the season for the coach and the QB to have a conversation that produced positive results.

If he gets this team to 7 or 8 wins then you could make a good case that he coached the talent up, but averaging 21 yards per drive (worst in the league), even after the last 2 weeks offensive outbursts, is just pathetic.

NCJetsfan and Ralebird like this.
  4. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Acad23 likes this.
  5. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

If you want to see Gase implement his system, pull up 2018 Dolphins highlights. In games not against the Jets lol.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  6. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

7 and 9 and 2nd place in the division look like a lofty goals right now.

7. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

The 2018 Dolphins point differential was 30th in the league, one spot lower than the Jets. That was a 4-12 team in disguise.

8. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

Agreed. I didn’t follow them too closely, but this is probably one of the Ws you are talking about

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  9. cmcm750203

cmcm750203 Well-Known Member

I’ve been one of the biggest gase bashers here but I have to give him credit for trusting Sam and allowing him to have input in the play calling. Not sure many coaches would give a second year qb that leeway. I’d gladly be wrong if this continues.

10. DefenseWinsChampionships

As of late he's gotten his team focused coming out of the locker room with (should have been) 4 games in a row with TD leading drives starting off a game. Got screwed on a bogus TD takeaway but nonetheless we're coming out of the gates firing under Gase and as someone who wanted him fired I can admit it's a great feeling to put up points on opening drives and not play from behind as in decades past. I'm starting to like this guy because when your young QB looks outstanding and you're scoring points football is fun again for me.

Biggs and Dierking like this.
  11. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

The best thing he's done is to finally make adjustments. Today's game plan - play calling, personnel choices - was far different than what he was doing before. It was even different than in the past two wins, although there were glimpses of what we saw today. If he can continue in this direction, I'll gladly eat crow,

cmcm750203 and NCJetsfan like this.
  12. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

The Bills are 8-3...what division are you talking about?

13. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Guessing he’s referring to the 2018 Dolphins.

RPOZ51 and HomeoftheJets like this.
  14. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Yeah the adjustments and the varying looks is what's impressed me. Early in the season it seemed like he was insistent on jamming his game plan in regardless of what the other team did.

Now he's adjusted and put more tightends on the field, chipping with the backs, running play action out of the same formations we're running the ball in.

Jets81 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  15. DefenseWinsChampionships

Last 4 game opening drives = 4 scoring drives (3 TD's/1 FG).

As a longtime suffering fan I can't remember the last time regardless of coach where we've started 4 consecutive games with drive opening scores. If so, when? Because I know it wasn't under the ones I've watched in Kottie, Parcells, Herm, Mangini, Rex or Bowles...

We've alao scores 34 points during 3 consecutive games. Can't remember an offense that's done this regardless of Coach. Lackluster opponents or not 102 points with a 2nd year QB over previous 3 games isn't something to write off.

Adam Gase is winning me over to the point of wanting to see his play calling behind a better O-Line while Sam continues to improve.

16. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I'm not sold on Gase yet, but I'll give him credit for turning things around. Now he has to keep it going. If he does that, I'll start looking for recipes for crow.

I think the last time they scored 30+ points three games in a row was with Favre. Not surprising since after that they bought into the belief they could win with a stout "D" and a a competent offense - completely flying in the face of the NFL's decision to favor scoring over defense. I'm glad to see we're finally trying to win with offense (although the defense has played a big part in the success lately - not being on the field all the time helps that).

17. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Kinda ironic we've scored 34 points a game in the last 3, hopefully it keeps up

18. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Coincidental. There’s nothing ironic about it

MoWilkBeast and Ralebird like this.
  19. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

Yep

I get that you wanna run your system

but until you have “your players” you need to adjust system around the players

For more info, see Jim Harbaugh

20. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

I like it.

We just curb stomped a bad team and really never let them into the game for the second week in a row. I'm encouraged. This staff does at least some rudimentary things right. Thats new for the Jets.

When's the last time the Jets consistently looked competent on their first drive? This is a good sign.

cmcm750203, Pepsiguy5, Jets81 and 2 others like this.