What EXACTLY makes Gohlston a lousy player?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by mrgoose, Jan 25, 2010.

1. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

what the fuck is this bullshit?

2. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Revis Fucking Christ. Revis. Fucking. Christ. All that bandwith. Sorry Petro.

Couple of articles about how Gholston is Mangini's baby and got his way over the scouts who wanted McKelvin.

Mangini had a lot to do with Gholston.

3. Rictor33

Rictor33 Active Member

Thought they played the four technique as in over the tackle as opposed to outside?

4. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

He doesn't care about football. All those questions you asked don't really even matter when the player simply doesn't show a desire to use his abilities.

I guess he's shown that he doesn't know his assignments, but is that because he's an idiot or because he hasn't put the time in? I know he didn't have a bad Wonderlic score, so I lean toward the latter. He doesn't play with passion. Instead of getting in on a hit at the end of a play, he watches the pile. He doesn't have it, I don't think he's a football player. Look at Jimmy Leonhard, then look at Vernon Gholston. It's a sad comparison...but it's reality.

5. Donttasemebro

Donttasemebro Well-Known Member

Charles Grant of the Saints
    Arrived at UGA as a 6'5" 250lb linebacker with great speed. He wasn't fluid enough so they fattened him up and made him a DE. Gholston is a perfect candidate for this. Put 30-40 lbs on him. He'll probably never be a pro bowler but he'll at least contribute.

6. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Oh he "missed it" alright.

7. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

i think that the problem was the entire DE group of the 08 class was overrated. thus, the people at the top of the class were WAY overrated

if you look at the stats for the entire group, few of them have an an impact to this point in their careers

were not the only team with a bust DE from the 2008 draft class

8. ganggreen51

ganggreen51 New Member

Gholston is a big for nothing fucking pussy, he's got no motor, no WANT, he got what he came for....$$$....FUCK HIM

9. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

workout warrior. most drafts have a guy or two who shoots up draft boards because he is a physical freak. gholston has all the physical tools he will ever need...sadly he doesn't have the same desire for football that he has for the weight room.

10. nomaddsx

nomaddsx New Member

he's a waste of a roster spot, i'd rather have an extra kicker.

11. adamson

adamson New Member

...maybe Rex can fix him with a full offseason

12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Gholston has a dog turd where his heart should be. That's why he is lousy.

13. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

when you arrive at your college, you are 18. You are still growing into your frame.

Horrible example.

14. desert swordz

desert swordz Totally Addicted

I have a question about all the comments in regards to Gholston saying he possesses great athleticism and speed: Really?

Yeah, at the combine, he ran somewhere in the low 4.6's, which is a very good time for someone his size and in his position on the defense. However, this time was Gholston running without pads, in a straight line, and most importantly, not on the field during gameplay.

His supposed great 40 time on the track at Indy hasn't translated to any real gamefield speed at all. Watch his plays and you'll see him running at a coasting speed more fitting of a punter running down the field after a punt as opposed to a supposed 'athletic freak' who ran a 4.6 40 time.

On top of that, his 3-cone drill and 20 yard shuttle times weren't very great; these drills being good indicators of the agility of the prospect. Sadly, this aspect of his combine performance has translated to the field. During plays he looks stiff as fuck. His hips have no fluidity at all, can't change direction on while in pursuit, etc.

I'm sure his lack of footballing smarts/reactivity to a developing play has something to do with how slow he looks out there on the field, but the fact that he doesn't possess any agility, quickness, or burst does not help at all. Add on the fact that Gholston doesn't seem to possess any sort of motor and doesn't look to play with desire on the field, and, well...what the fuck do you have?

Honestly, I WANT Gholston to succeed. It'd be safe to say everyone of us here would very much LIKE him to turn into a top-10-pick-calibur 3-4 OLB for the NYJ. I'd love to see Rex, Pettine, and co. turn him into a monster. However, I just don't know if such a transformation is even probable at this point. It's said that you should give a prospect 3 full seasons before making an evaluation on how good the player is currently and how much better they can still become. As of right now, Gholston has a year left and it ain't looking good.

Anyways, all the above stuff are my main concerns/comments about Gholston and his lack of success on the field so far. Just my $0.02.

15. Irv

Irv Member

Gholston has no marbles.

16. SyracuseJet

SyracuseJet Well-Known Member

Gholston sucks. He should start a CFL team with Ryan Leaf and Maurice Clarett. Maybe sprinkle some Penn St RBs....KiJanna Carter and Curtis Enis and they'll be money.

***Need a WR. Throw in Charles Rodgers.

#96 SyracuseJet, Jan 26, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  17. Jetsfan711

Jetsfan711 New Member

That video was funny!

18. Andy_M

Andy_M Well-Known Member

Simple.......NO HEART

19. StreetFighterJet

StreetFighterJet New Member

Here is what I thought... we drafted Gholston, ok great, a beast, sounds awesome! Then I saw him in the pre-season game... he looked slow, not agile at all, very cumbersone... didn't seem to move well, I think he chased a QB out of the pocket and took a horrendous angle, he just didn't look like a pass rusher to me. I'm not shocked at all that he hasn't developed into anything.

20. LoyalJetsFan

LoyalJetsFan New Member

to call Gholston a "player" is an insult to every other player in the league