What do you guys think about Vernon Davis

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Imagesrdecieving, Feb 18, 2006.

1. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

No. It all begins and ends with the offensive line. If you have a great offensive line, you can compete every single year. Right now, our offensive line is horrible.

2. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

Ugh - I hope that isn't a vote for Brick

3. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

You do realize there is a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, and even a 7th round after the first? We can add to our offensive line and add playmakers after round one...

4. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

No, but we need to spend 2-3 picks MINIMUM on offensive linemen in the draft. I'd rather trade down to acquire more picks, and then just grab a bunch of linemen between rounds 2-4.

But the point is, a strong offensive line is more important than having a playmaker.

5. Imagesrdecieving

Yup. Now I'm not trying to be argumentative - Just looking for more insight. What position/round do you see us being able to add a playmaker at? I thought playmakers were generally pounced on in rd 1. If you say Marcus Vick(even as a joke!) I swear I will start to cry

6. Imagesrdecieving

No, but we need to spend 2-3 picks MINIMUM on offensive linemen in the draft. I'd rather trade down to acquire more picks, and then just grab a bunch of linemen between rounds 2-4.

But the point is, a strong offensive line is more important than having a playmaker.

And in trading down - What need should we address in the 1st round? QB with Cutler? Cause if so that is like the basis of what I'm saying we can get a QB in the later rounds. Let's get somebody who can complement the QB we pick up in the later rounds in rd 1.

7. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

Cutler would be a pick I'd be all right with, or a running back like DeAngelo or LenDale White. Whatever the team feels is best, but they also realize that you go nowhere in this league without a strong offensive line.

8. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

I agree...I really hope for this

1st- Jay Cutler
    2nd- Marcus McNeil
    3rd- LG

Or

1st- Jay Cutler
    2nd- RB
    3rd- OL
    4th- OL

Either way we will need to get at least two Offensive lineman in this draft.

9. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

If Marcus McNeill fell to our pick in the 2nd round, I would cry endless tears of joy.

10. PRPitbull

PRPitbull Active Member

I'd love to take Vernon Davis with a 1st rd pick, as long as we were able to trade down a few spaces and get another pick. Another thing is hes not a Kellen Winslow clone. His numbers are ridiculous. He has WR speed with ridiculous strength numbers(something like 400 or 500lb pench bress) and hes shown he can play on the field. If youve seen him play, you would think Antonio Gates but he breaks tackles ala Shockey or Bavaro. He just wont go down.

Now with that said, i really dont think were in position to pass on a elite tackle. Sure i think Vernon can be a ridiculous Elite TE the way TOGO was when he came on the scene, but we do have other holes to fill.

And one more thing, Jay Cutler is THEE most overrated player i've seen in a long time. This is a guy who has done nothing his entire career and his one highlight is almost beatin Florida. I dont care who you compare him to because he hasnt done anything to merit being called Brett Favre. What all because he can force passes in and occasionally get away with it, that makes him Brett Favre. I'll pass. I'll take Hackney, Jacobs, or Croyle over him anyday. At least if they flop, they wont set us back 4 yrs.

11. Kentucky Jet

Kentucky Jet Active Member

take DAVIS in rd 1 after we move down to get another second round pick! Then take OMAR JACOBS at QB in rd 2!

12. ny2dave

ny2dave New Member

Oline

We need to address the Oline, and if we lose Penny, we need a QB. Thats where we need to go in the draft.

13. The Green Dude

The Green Dude 2008 Best Avatar Award Winner

Your not serious are you? Have you watched this dude play? He was more like a WR than a TE and when you needed him to block... he could block.

14. Rambo13

Rambo13 New Member

Trade down, grab an extra #2.
    take Vernon Davis around pick 9.
    take an inside OL like OC Nick Mangold
    take an outside OL like RT Marcus McNeil or OT Eric Winston
    take Brodie Croyle at the top of round 3
    Next couple rounds we take BA big fat NT, speedy OLB, and big tall WR unless there is a decent RB available.

This is one of my ideal scenarios.

15. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

davis is a freak of nature would have been a great pick if we were a playoff team with very few needs . but thats not the case

16. 1028

1028 Active Member

Id take Mercedes Lewis or Leonard Pope in the 2nd...use the 1st on something else

17. 1028

1028 Active Member

What happened to the Brick Wall??? :breakdance:

18. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

hackney is 5'11 and doesnt have a strong arm and isnt accurate and jacobs and plays in a lower confrence and has major injury concerns . i hope u were joking with hackney though. after croyle the qbs corp becoms trash you have a few potentials you can take in the late rounds likle marcus vick and even jacobs if he is healthy

#38 hydro51, Feb 19, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2006
  19. Patty Mac

Patty Mac New Member

Leonard Pope in round two would be great if he somehow fell. A big, athletic tight end like him would do wonders for whatever QB we bring in.

20. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

i also like Fasano alot. he may not be the phiscal freak like davis and as fast as lewis and pope. but he is a better blocker, much more tougher and has good hands sounds like a poor mans heath miller