What can be done to improve the offense right now?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Nov 14, 2023.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Hey if that's junc then welcome back bro (I still don't see it yet)

But I was cool with junc because I knew better.

2. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I don't think they brought him in to fix Zach either... but they sure pushed it as a value added benefit.

Cook was supposed to be a crutch while Breece got up to speed... turned out to be the opposite.
    Breece started the season just fine... while Cook seems to be finding his legs now.

SOJAZ and dmw like this.
  3. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

and you are free to think what you want. I just really can't grasp the concept of how people could think boyle or simian gives us a better chance to win. I got it when we had like hackenberg or james morgan because they were young picks we never seen play so they were an unknown to fans. But boyle and simian are very known commodities.

4. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

You went from fact to opinion pretty fast there.

You've been all over the board defending Zach and saying we're too harsh on him as he's only a back-up QB. Well fair enough - If he's a back-up QB that's not getting the job done then you turn to someone else on the bench who might be able to score a TD or two per game or maybe your perception of reality survives the test of real game action.

Career Logs
    Wilson 31 Games 528 of 931 (56.71%) 5,885 yards 20TD 24INT
    Siemian 35 Games 621 of 1055 (58.86%) 7,027yards 42TDs 28INT

#64 Gremlin, Nov 14, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2023
  5. GasedAndConfused

capwise not as much as 1 would think becuase money is tight so we backloaded rodgers contract with void years but 17 for rodgers (dead cap of 66mil) and 11 for zach (dead cap 11 mil) so 28 total. we only have just under 13mil for 2024 and thats close to what it'll take to sign rookies. probably 11ish since we don't have a second and won't be picking too high.

only real cut/trade options are
    uzo (cut) save 6 mil

JFM (which is tough because lawson is gone and huff is a FA. leaves us with JJ, clemons, and WMD only) a cut would save 7 mil. a trade (maybe get a 5th) would net 13mil in savings. but he's only 27, he's good and under contract relatively cheap for 3 more years

DJ reed. saves 6 mil but a huge hell no. he's a bargain and too good to cut for such little money

conklin saves 5 mil but aagin hell no. too good to cut and would leave us just ruckert, kunts, and yeboah

key free agents are
    becton
    huff
    whitehead
    zurlien
    morestead

other notable FAs
    brown
    CMG
    jefferson
    clark
    amos
    david
    thomas
    woods

6. GasedAndConfused

cook was obviously a bad signing. I was against it but was "in the minority here" in feeling that way.
    The issue is though Rodgers took a paycut for us to spend the money on skill position players to push for a SB, not to pay a backup. and he likes zach for whatever reason. we went after OBJ (which would have been bad too) and he got 15mil from the ravens so we weren't matching that. Ideally we should have added another WR but we had corey davis at the time and for RBs we had MC, a rookie, and hall coming off an injury on a pitch count. Also hackets system likes 2 RB1s like they did with jones and dillion in GB

dmw likes this.
  7. GasedAndConfused

career logs don't show who's better now. by that metric we'd be better off singing and starting brees or peyton manning
    according to career logs we should be starting cook at RB. the thing is cook from 2-3 years ago was good. now he looks washed. I made this argument when we signed him and people threw stats in my face to say he's good and turns out the "eye test over stats" was indeed correct.

the problem with this argument is the wilson haters use his last 2 years which has been much different from this year while giving simian credit for his 1st 2-3 years which was ages ago basically when he looked like an up and comer. we seen simian start last year against us. he was awful. he seen him start for us before that. he lasted less then a quarter.

the argument is who on sunday gives us the bets chance to win. zach even in the LV game looked lightyears better then simian did in his last start which was a year ago. he's washed

8. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Boyle sat for 2 years. He might’ve read a book in that time. Maybe spent some time n a beach to reset. Maybe he read a book on a beach! Maybe those 2 years are his great reset that they’re counting on for Zach.

BrowningNagle and stinkyB like this.
  9. GasedAndConfused

He had a full 5 years in college (although barely played)
    then 3 years behind aaron rodgers in GB before getting any chance to play in his 4th season. started 3 games and was awful and never got to start again. he's 29. he didn't magically get better. he's reached his full potential. he's never shown anything.

10. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

So Tim Boyle gets 3 games before he gets the almighty judgement of Gased and Confused. 29, my God get his wheelchair he’s so old! Remind me again what Zach has shown us.

11. GasedAndConfused

zach has shown he's a capable backup QB. boyle has shown he shouldn't be rostered

12. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Anyone but Zach. That's the only real answer. Jets need to check their roster and see who played QB in HS or dabbled with it in college. They couldn't score any less TD's than Zach. Fact.

SOJAZ, GoldenShowers and Centiment like this.
  13. cmcm750203

cmcm750203 Well-Known Member

Just run the 2 minute offense all game. It’s the only time Zach ever does anything well. It’s probably because it’s against prevent D, but at this point just go for it.

14. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

They ran a muddle huddle against the Chargers and it didn’t exactly work early in the game.

SOJAZ and cmcm750203 like this.
  15. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

They did do that, but for whatever reason Zach didn't take the snap right away - IDK if he was changing up the play, or what, but he was still running the play clock down to 5 seconds or less...not very "hurry up".

SOJAZ likes this.
  16. Jonathan_Vilma

NFL teams rarely run hurry up offenses in the middle of a game. Unfortunately I think there’s an element of the conditioning not being there because they have to play 18 games including random Thursday night games, Europe games, etc.

You also basically put your defense in a sudden change spot if you go 3 and out. So I just don’t think the run a no huddle hurry up offense thing is ever a realistic option in the pro’s.

17. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Best move they can make is the one move they can't make. That would be to replace Hackett as OC... That would piss off Rodgers and God forbid that happens. He might retire and we're stuck with the boy blunder.

SOJAZ, BrowningNagle and barfolomew like this.
  18. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Not as a regular feature, but for a change to throw the other team off and also to keep momentum going when you have it. Like everything else, there's a time and place. Unfortunately, Hackett doesn't seem to have a sense of that.

19. GoldenShowers

GoldenShowers Well-Known Member

All of this to try to deflect from your mormon cult hero. So effing bizarre.

SackRecord99 likes this.
  20. Jonathan_Vilma

I know, I get it. But why do literally no NFL teams really do that unless the situation calls for it? I don’t think it’s because they’re not innovative enough to try to get a struggling quarterback going. I think because it doesn’t play well for NFL players.

Whether that’s right or wrong, I think there’s a reason for it. Chip Kelly, Spurrier, etc. have tried bringing gimmicky offenses to the league and they don’t ever make it. College teams run hurry up all game long sometimes. Maybe the younger legs can handle it? And coaches can run them to death in the summer with no repercussions to get them ready for it.