What Are Your Expectations for the 2019 New York Jets?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Aug 27, 2019.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

It does sound about right for previous Jets teams, but I think that's all in the past.

It isn't so much a "collapse" as whom they are playing late in the year. During that "tear" they are mostly playing teams weaker than they are. The two exceptions might be the Cowboys and Jaguars. During the "collapse" they're playing teams that they've seldom beaten (Steelers & Ravens), and I figure they'll split with the Bills, who may have a better, deeper team than the Jets do overall. Also, by that point in the season, I think the Jets may be missing a player or two due to injuries. Beating Buffalo in Buffalo is tough, especially for the Jets. I think we'll play the Pats tough, but it's too soon for me to "expect" the Jets to beat them once or for the Jets to beat either the Eagles, the Ravens or Steelers. Of course, I would love to be proven wrong, but can't "expect" that level of play yet. That would have to mean that everything would have to go perfectly, and I just don't see that happening. The Jets still have holes, have the refs' respect to earn, injuiries happen, and the football can take funny bounces.

#121 NCJetsfan, Sep 2, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
    The Dark Knight likes this.
  2. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

We should see a good uptick in wins this year. Most likely 7-9 or 8-8. Darnold's stats should jump up considerably in Year 2. Our CB and pass rush issues will be our achilles heel as has been in the past. Our skill position talent vastly improved should keep games entertaining offensively. Been a long time since we could say that about a Jets team.

Peebag and NCJetsfan like this.
  3. teamgreen

teamgreen Well-Known Member

5-11 to 7-9 depending on injuries. I think we're going to have a lot of trouble stopping anyone, and that our offense will sputter a lot more than we'd like with so many newcomers, a still young QB and a new system. I'm anticipating this to be one of those "so. close. but. not. quite" years in which we can see a lot of flashing promise but struggle to put together all facets of the game for 60 minutes and rack up enough wins to be in the playoff picture in DEC.

twown and The Dark Knight like this.
  4. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

I think we go 6-10 - Darnold is a great building block but we have no receivers of note, no kicker, serious issues at DB and no pass rush so teams are going to throw 300+ yds on us all day long, unless or until this team learns how to draft beyond rd 1 its not going to go anywhere

5. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

See an improvement on offense but not defense. Williams will attack and get some big plays but I see the Jets giving up a lot of big plays as well.

For them to go 8-8 or over offense has to eat up the possession times.

Else I see a 7-9 type season with offense making progress....

6. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Expectations are so shitty around here. Funny bc I think they’re actually pretty high among most of the fanbase.

I think they can fall anywhere between 6-10 and 10-6. I really think I’m taking the over on 7.5 wins though, solely because of the leap Darnold is about to take. It’s crazy how negative some of you when the team has Sam Darnold. The dude is gonna be insanely good.

Because of that, I think the Jets offense is going to exceed expectations. I also think the D is going to wildly underperform. They’ll make some big plays but they’re going to get gashed in the passing game.

7. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Thank you for such astute observations, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Countsnake.

8. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

All I can think is fans have had such a tough last decade (and basically every year since Super Bowl III) so they lower expectations so they don't get let down? All I can think of. As long as this team stays healthy, they should win 8 games minimum. I agree, (6-10) to (10-6) is a fair range, but if they can start out strong, (11-5) is even possible. I have more faith in the defense than others do too it seems. Time will tell!

9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

That's because many of us are long-term Jets fans and have been disappointed and embarrassed so many times. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice....

10. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Fool me going on 27 years......... :D

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. BrickcityJet

BrickcityJet Well-Known Member

I think our bottom is 5-11, our ceiling is 8-8 or 9-7. I think we’ll do better than last year and things are on an upswing. This is basically year 1 of a rebuild...a true rebuild.

The offense is going to look better. The defense....I hope we have a diamond in the rough from somewhere at corner. I’m hoping for a surprise at corner.

I think we’re in for a season with some heartbreaker games. Not in the sense where we were winning and somehow managed to lose like last year. More like close games that we just lost.

I’m still excited for us. We’re just not going to the super bowl this year.

twown, Ralebird and The Dark Knight like this.
  12. BamaDoc

BamaDoc Active Member

I will go 6 to 9 wins. Defense has issues. Offense should be good. An important part will be if you have a lead can you run the ball when you want to and shorten the games. Kicking could haunt us. Tough start to year and with Herndon out we may start in the hole. If somehow we could start 3-3 I would be tickled. Schedule eases but we have little quality depth so the wrong injury could really hurt us.

NCJetsfan and The Dark Knight like this.
  13. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

I think we can pull off 7-9

14. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

My thoughts:
    What team is flawless , especially on the defensive side of the ball? Please name me all the premiere pass rushers In this league ... How many teams have shutdown corners ?? We have possibly the two best safeties in the NFL and have a serious interior pass rush this year . Greg Williams said it best , "culture beats strategy any day of the week". I would replace the word strategy with "talent", but it's the same idea. That's primarily how the nefarious Bill Bel is able to win constantly. New England's roster is never really stacked. On paper they never look like Juggernauts , I could play in that system and be successful. So now I believe we have the right culture in place. Feel free to disagree but I believe in Gase and believe even more in Joe Douglas. Not to mention I think the Cornerbacks aren't as bad as people think. I believe Poole will have a good year and I like the guy they traded for from Indy, and if Trumaine Johnson is at least decent we will be fine especially with Adams and Maye back there. As far as the offense goes , I believe we have the QB, I think Darnold carries the team already in his second year and we have an offense somewhere in the top 10.

I believe we go 10-6 and make the playoffs, and are a dangerous team when we get there.

15. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

So we can still play well with Darnold and lose due to the porous pass defence, your post explains the negative perfectly it is the D not QB that is going to be the problem.

16. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

Playoffs or Bust.

40% of the Oline has been replaced with former pro-bowlers. The middle of the D has been strengthened with the addition of Mosley and Q Williams. The top RB in the league (before his voluntary hiatus) added to the backfield, plus Crowder upgrading the slot.

You don't add that many hired guns with an eye on "next year". Now it's up to Sam.

17. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

I think 6 wins is the basement. 9 wins is the ceiling. Hopefully we make a legit run next year.

18. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

NFL.com Analysis
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...rojections-patriots-no-1-texans-atop-division

twown likes this.
  19. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

9-7. A much improved offense that will ultimately be undone by suspect CB/pass rush. Hopefully Williams can scheme the Leo/Q tandem into creating enough interior push to allow Anderson to generate sacks as well as for themselves. I have full confidence that Douglas will address the glaring holes on defense next off-season on their way to 12-4 record in 2020...

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

6-10 again. We’re going to see the Jets lose by odd numbers this year because of missed PATs and missed field goals. Letting Meyers go will bite us in the ass big time. Long shot prediction: the Jets sign a USWNT striker as a kicker after the bye.