What are your DREAM Draft Day Scenarios for the Jets?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by PennyandtheJets, Apr 3, 2022.

1. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

JFM is best as a 3 tech IDL where his blend of strength and quickness can abuse guards; he was only playing edge last season because of injuries. I will be pounding the table for Kayvon Thibodeaux on draft night, but if he isn't there and Ekwonu is, I'm running to the podium to take him.

I wouldn't rely on Lawson either. The Jets hole at edge for 2022 is quite large.

blackssmagic and KY Jets Fan like this.
  2. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

Either Ekwonu or Sauce at 4, then any of Williams, London or Wilson at 10.

3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Bein-Aime has got something personal going on with Becton

4. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

so you bench fant who counts $11 million on the cap or you trade Becton who hasn’t even been able to get on the field to approve that he can stay on the field?

there is no way… And The Rock means no way… You’re getting a second round pick for Becton. Most you would get is a day 3 pick. So what exactly is the upside there?

5. BroadwayAaron

I think Lawson is fantastic but I wouldn’t call JFM a pure pass rusher. I think he would do best kicked inside which we would be able to do if we landed a stud pass rusher at four…

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  6. BroadwayAaron

I just can’t get behind this logic. We have a roster with 1 million holes so we are going to use the fourth overall pick to address a hole that might appear next year?

now again… If Becton is moved before or during the first round then I am all aboard the Icky train. But no team is clamoring for a guy that can’t get on the field and if anyone is interested we aren’t getting anything valuable in return.

Ralebird, REVISion and Lon Chaney like this.
  7. NYJFOREVER

Bien-Aime defended Becton when he decided to skip voluntary OTAs.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  8. BrowningNagle

Exactly, that was my point. That's why he's hating on a potential Ekwonu selection. Becton is a buddy or something

9. deviljets7

deviljets7 Well-Known Member

I'm not trying to minimize the hole at Edge, but but I think the status of OT has been exaggerated. Not trusting Lawson is understandable, but I don't know how anyone who doesn't trust Lawson can trust Becton.

10. NYJFOREVER

We're just going to agree to disagree on this one. Personally, I think it's likely Fant regresses or walks in FA or that Becton flops epically. In that scenario, the Jets have a gaping hole in 2023 and beyond.

I pray that KT or Hutch fall to us at 4, but in the scenario they do not and Ekwonu is there, it's one hell of a consolation prize.

Gotcha. I didn't read his article, I only saw the tweet. I know he was hating on the Ekwonu choice yesterday on Twitter. The draft needs to be used to address the roster beyond the upcoming year. It's extremely optimistic to say the Jets OT spot is locked in beyond 2022.

11. BroadwayAaron

but again we are making decisions in 2022 with an extremely valuable asset based off what we think is going to happen in 2023. I don’t even disagree with your assessment because I think Becton was a terrible pick from day one and relying on Fant is playing with fire a bit even though he sustained a high level of play throughout the course of an entire season.

blackssmagic likes this.
  12. BrowningNagle

Hell the OT position is in flux in 2022.

Everyone excuses Zach Wilson's performance in Buffalo because Conor McDermott was the tackle. Get ready for more of them excuses if they don't draft an OT, because they didn't add anyone, as of today McDermott probably starts half the season

blackssmagic likes this.
  13. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Well Becton is certainly the right guy to eat up cap space, among other things! LOL!

Here's the thing: it's not like we can't get as good - or possibly better - of an Edge at 10 or 35/38. But the only consensus Edge at #4 (or above) is Hutchinson, after that it's debatable. But Ekonwu or Neal are both solidly listed as Top 5 picks, and we don't have a solidified OL regardless of what's been done up until now. To say we shouldn't take an OL - a guy who could play T or G - simply because the guy we took two years isn't working out, is like saying we shouldn't have looked to take a QB because we just took one 3 years ago.

If somehow Hutch falls to 4, JD should run to the podium and grab him, but if not, Ekonwu is as safe a pick as anything.

blackssmagic and NYJFOREVER like this.
  14. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

And you still don't see the flaw in your argument? If no other team believes he can get on the filed, why in the hell would Douglas go into the season with a high probability of that? At this point, given his inability to remain healthy and to play in the scheme they now have, if you have a chance to get a guy who is arguably better to begin with, and is more suited to playing that scheme, how can you pass on him?

15. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

the upside is if becton comes back, fant is 29 and on his final year so we replace him with someone cheaper and 7 years younger and use the 15+ mil we would have paid him on another free agent

blackssmagic and KY Jets Fan like this.
  16. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

we wont we'll be spenders again. comp picks are for good teams who can't afford to keep all their good players

17. BroadwayAaron

I definitely thought twice about this wording and hit submit anyway...

There's a difference between trading for the player and already having the player. If Douglas truly believe that Becton is physically done and won't play another meaningful down, then I get it. And by the way thats a massive indictment on Douglas because these issues were pretty well known and discussed when he passed on Wirfs and Lamb for Becton.

18. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

I firmly believe that if Ickey is the pick at 4 then Douglas is wholly convinced that Becton is a lost cause fat ass that will never see the field again. Otherwise he will take an edge hopefully if he has hope in Becton.

19. BrowningNagle

Possibly...

Or he could see an Ekwonu draft pick as the way to get the most out of Becton. Becton has some motivation issues, well, the potential of losing your job to someone better is highly motivating.

Or maybe Ekwonu is just simply far and away the best player available at 4

20. BroadwayAaron

If our GM is using the fourth overall pick to motivate his 11th overall pick from two years ago, we need a new GM.