What are your DREAM Draft Day Scenarios for the Jets?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by PennyandtheJets, Apr 3, 2022.

1. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I'd love to trade down from 4. That's my dream scenario. But think it's incredibly far-fetched at this point. Almost as far-fetched as Aidan Hutchinson dropping to 4. His ceiling is 1 and floor is 2.

I believe the Jets/Ickey hype. I wonder what would happen next with Fant, Becton & Ickey. My guess would be all three end up in camp, but maybe Becton or Fant would get dealt before the season unless they're really down on Becton - who knows what they really think of him. Fant was very good last season. He will be 30 this season and the last year of his deal, but he's a young 30. He didn't play football in college and hasn't been a full-time player for long so he has far less tread than most any other 30 year-old OL. I think there's an argument he's still ascending. Last year was his best season and looks like LT is his best position. There's a realistic scenario in which he's the LT for the coming years IMO.

I do not believe the Jets/Sauce hype. D.J. Reed is a locked-in starter. I believe Bryce Hall is a very likely starter after a good season and still depth with Echols, who was a starter last year. Plus Carter and Guidry at nickel. I think they indeed like those guys and want them to develop. It'd be a crowded room with Sauce. Not to say he might not be a good addition of course, but I think they like this group and would be better served using draft capital elsewhere.

I think Ickey or an Edge is most likely. I do wonder if they prefer Kayvon or Jermaine Johnson. I really hope they pass on Travon if he's there.

2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Yes, because one you'd be taking with the 4th pick and the other you'd be taking with the 35th.

3. BroadwayAaron

Full disclosure: I forgot about Reed.

That being said I'd still go Sauce 10 times out of 10 over Icky. Take the day 1 starter and worry about the rest. Don't take the guy that might compete for a job. That's basically the bottom line for me.

Imagesrdecieving likes this.
  4. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

saying sauce will beat out hall but ickey won't beat out fant doens't make any sense. the situation is the same for both positions. on top of that everyone has ickey as a better prosepct

5. BroadwayAaron

DJ sums it up pretty nicely.

6. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

I respect your ooinion but i got sick of watching zach run for his life last year. If we can get another dbrickshaw then we should do it. Our oline is far from the best in this league even with the improvements im free agency.

ColoradoContrails and GreenGreek like this.
  7. BroadwayAaron

Icky could very easily beat out Fant or Becton, but then you have a swing tackle somewhere eating up either $11 mil or $6 mil on the books. It's bad roster building. You aren't maximizing the asset if you're creating a cap issue or benching that asset.

8. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I'm not sure if people are just glossing over this fact but not only is Ikem arguably the top OT prospect this year, he might be OT1 over the last 2-3 years. On top of that, he's a perfect scheme fit for the type of offense we run/want to run.

I get that it might not seem like the perfect fit in terms of needs but it is a home run in terms of value. Ekwonu is a Day 1 starter on this OL, obviously it's up in the air if that would be at LT or RT but make no mistake, George Fant nor Mekhi Becton are keeping this guy off the field.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  9. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

Not sure how reliable but makes sense.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  10. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Depending on who is there at 10, I wouldn't hate to trade with Philly and get 15 and their 2nd rounder (51st overall). Depending on how much they wanna move up we could even try to get 15 and 18 but then we'd probably have to include 35 or 38.

11. BroadwayAaron

I'm definitely not glossing over this fact. If we had Fant or Becton on cuttable contracts I'd be all over it. We don't. We'd be creating a problem for no reason. I'd sooner take Jermaine Johnson at 4 than I would Icky. Definitely would go Sauce and the CB situation is not comparable to the OT situation.

12. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Agreed - dropping down 5 and picking up a 2nd would be great under most circumstances.

But how about 15 and 18 for 4? :D (Not happening, I know)

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  13. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Except we can literally cut George Fant at any point in time and only accrue a 1M dead cap hit.

Meaning, we could save 10M in cap space while only eating 1M at any point this year if we wanted to.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/george-fant-19580/

14. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I like where your head's at. If KT is gone by 4, I'd be all-in on moving out.

There would still be a lot of talent left from picks 10-18.

barfolomew and ColoradoContrails like this.
  15. BroadwayAaron

I stand fully corrected. I read it in reverse on OTC's website. That being said, why are we ditching the guy who played LT very very well last year for a rookie? I'd sooner move him to RT, but then you have a $6 mil backup that you definitely cut for the next two years (I triple checked) and will have 0 value. Again I just think it's very poor roster management.

REVISion likes this.
  16. GasedAndConfused

he can be traded or used for insurance and allowed to talk. it'll save us 15 mil next year that can be spent elsewhere and solidify the o-line for the next 3 years at minimum pretty much

17. GasedAndConfused

not really he's not as good as sewell was but he's still a great prospect

REVISion likes this.
  18. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Like I said in a previous post, it's definitely not the most ideal pick from a needs perspective but it's a great value pick.

Having a solid swing OT seemed to work out very well for us last season. Even if it is Becton, 5M isn't THAT bad for having one of, if not the best backup OT in the league.

I would assume the plan would be to ride out the year with Fant/Ekwonu as your OTs with Becton as your swing with the hope that he overtakes Fant at some point and starts again fully in 2023 after we've cut ties with Fant.

I agree with what you're saying, it isn't ideal for this team because we do have other needs. I just don't think Ekwonu at 4 is a terrible pick.

19. BroadwayAaron

The situation you laid out seems like maybe the 5th best course of action. Icky is a potential first overall pick, I understand how good he is. At 4 it would be great value. But it's terrible for us considering the other options on the table.

20. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I think he's a better prospect than Sewell but I did say "...he might be OT1 over the last 2-3 years...".

Worst case IMO he's OT2 behind Sewell in that time frame. So again, not a bad pick to have one of the best OT prospects over the last few years fall to you at 4.