What are your DREAM Draft Day Scenarios for the Jets?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by PennyandtheJets, Apr 3, 2022.

1. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Yeah, that's kind of the knock on Linderbaum. He's not a great fit for a power scheme but could be amazing in a zone one so automatically some teams will devalue him more than others.

barfolomew likes this.
  2. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I want to believe we have a chance but I really just see no way Hutch gets past Detroit.

3. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Depends on what reports you choose to believe. ;)

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  4. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

this has easily been the most unpredictable top 5 I can remember in my lifetime for a draft

JohnnyP123456 and KY Jets Fan like this.
  5. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

That's very true. Not gonna know anything 100% until Thursday night.

Gotta love smokescreen Monday on draft week! haha

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  6. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

100%

This is the first one I can remember where I legitimately have no idea how the top 5 will shake out. Should make for an interesting Thursday night though!!

JohnnyP123456 likes this.
  7. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

The Icky speculation is terrifying. We have 5 starters on the OL so we'd be drafting someone 4th overall that is going to compete for a spot? Instead of taking the best EDGE, CB, WR available? That would be a bad bad pick and I'd lose quite a bit of faith in Douglas.

Imagesrdecieving likes this.
  8. GasedAndConfused

yeah I think we'll be shocked by some picks. i'm really hoping KT falls to us at 4. Walker is the new favorite for 1st overall, I think hutch would go 2 and I think ekwonu would go 3. probably my best guess right now but could be completly wrong as well. compared to last year where we knew tlaw was 1 and wilson was 2 and a QB was going 3rd likely lance.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  9. GasedAndConfused

makes more sense then sauce. we have 2 outside CBs already and echols flashed potential. they are all young and cheap. at least on the o-line fant is 29, in his final year, and likely wants big money next year. we'd be replacing fant. as they say a luxury today is a need tomorrow. that also locks in the o-line very cheap for long term. plus if becton isn't ready it's insurance. we could hold fant for the year just in case or trade him during camp if becton comes back healthy and ready to go

10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

If you assume that Becton is still a firm lock to be a starter - or even on the team - then maybe your concern is valid, but what if he isn't. I think there's a good chance that he's actually traded before or on draft day, or that he will be traded before the season.

As good as Gardner may be, he can't shut down a passing attack as much as a great DE. I'd be very surprised if he's the pick at 4.

Jets79 likes this.
  11. BroadwayAaron

This would be tremendously poor roster building. Gardner steps in day 1 and is your starter at CB which gives you a legitimate competition between Hall and Echols. Both of them were fine, Sauce has the ceiling to be elite. Icky means you're either not starting your 4th overall pick or you're benching your first rounder from two years ago that will be under contract for another two years. On no planet does OL at 4 make sense.

Imagesrdecieving likes this.
  12. BroadwayAaron

I think it's an EXTREME longshot that Becton is traded before Thursday or during the draft. He's a massive question mark... no one is giving up anything of value for him. Why sell low on an "asset" as opposed to letting him play RT and maybe boost his value? And if he doesn't, then you're getting nothing in return which is just about the same as getting a 6th.

13. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Fair point, but still I think his days as a Jets are numbered. If I'm wrong on that score, they still need to prepare for next year and either paying Fant probably a lot more than he's worth, or hoping that he and Becton both become long term anchors. In that light I believe Ekwonu is the better bet to fill one of those "anchors".

14. BroadwayAaron

I won't disagree but if you can choose a pass rusher that will play for you day 1 and hopefully for the next 10 years, you take that a million times over an OL that might play for you day 1 and potentially could fill a hole if maybe your two current tackles don't work out.

15. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I don't get the Ekwonu hate at 4. Fant is about to become 30 and is on the final year of his deal. Becton, while having a lot of promise, is no sure thing at this point in his career.

Worst case, we have a really good swing OT this year if we take Ekwonu at 4 that we either let walk in FA (if that ends up being Fant) or becomes a starter next year (if it's Becton or Ekwonu).

Just to be clear, I would still prefer an EDGE at 4 but I don't see Ekwonu as a terrible selection at 4.

Jets79 likes this.
  16. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I hope 1-2 go that way. Then it would just be the Texans between us and KT. They're just such a wildcard though, I could see them take KT, Neal, Ekwonu, Sauce, or Hamilton lol

17. GasedAndConfused

what are hall and echols competing for? CB 5 and 6? makes no sense. reed and sauce would be the starters and we'll have 2 young talented Cbs wasting away on the depth chart. as it is now reed and hall are starters but echols has the ability to push hall as well as fill in for injury. you want to replace a 25 year old good talent on a rookie deal with the 4th overall pick and that makes more sense then replacing the 29 year old on the final year of a deal who will be expensive?

JohnnyP123456 and KY Jets Fan like this.
  18. GasedAndConfused

texans have so many needs they could take anyone. except they made it clear they are sticking with mills. to me personally o-line makes the most sense for them. especially if ekwonu is there. they can go WR and edge with the next 2 picks but getting mills some protection will be huge for them

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  19. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Well-Known Member

I dont think the Jets will go o-line at 4, but saying "on no planet does it make sense" is incorrect, imo. Read the tea leaves on everything that's happened. It is obviously vital to the Jets front office to have a long-term blind side protector of their most important asset, Wilson. Look at how roster construction is occuring around the league and how teams are pairing franchise QB's with young left tackles. Wilson/Becton, Mahomes/Brown, Herbert/Slater, Burrow/Williams, Mayfield/Wills, Jones/Thomas, Brady/Wirfs, the list goes on and on. The Jets attempted to do the same thing, but right now its up in the air whether Becton is that guy. The most telling comment for me, was the comment made by the jets front office this offseason. They asked about Becton and the individual stated he'll be "one of our two starting tackles this year." That is an unbelievably telling statement to make, imo. It tell us a lot. It tells us the jets are not convinced Becton is their LT of the future, because if he was, they would have stated so. These are not new concerns for Becton, he had the same issues in college and its what knocked him down some draft boards. He was a risk, and those risks still appear to be present despite the efforts and resources the jets have poured into him. He's so much of a risk that they are not committing to him as the LT of the future.

The only other tackle worth a mention on the roster is Fant, who was a part of one of the worst lines in football when he was with Seattle, and got bumped from LT, to RT, to off the team. He is an ok placeholder, but he is not a long term answer or player to count on. He's almost 30 and is the least year of his contract. The Jets have an opportunity with 2 top 10 picks to make sure they secure that LT spot once and for all and provide an opportunity for their most important asset (Wilson) to grow. The worst case scenario with drafting a tackle at 4 is that Becton ends up working out, and now you have 2 great tackles. But, its also a distinct possibility that if they do not take a tackle at 4, Becton turns out to not be the guy and they go through another season of Zach running for his life and now need to fill both tackle positions next offseason. Why not be proactive and either fix it now or at least secure both tackle spots and give Wilson every opportunity to be a franchise QB.

Again, I'm not advocating they take a tackle at 4, I would personally take Sauce or an ER, but to say that "on no planet does OL at 4 make sense" is just not true. It makes perfect sense if you care about Zach Wilson working out.

Jets79 and KY Jets Fan like this.
  20. deviljets7

deviljets7 Well-Known Member

Obviously the level of investment is different, but in terms of the caliber of player being replaced, is taking Ekwonu when you have Fant really any different than taking Linderbaum when you have McGovern?

GasedAndConfused likes this.