What a Pathetic QB and Coach

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FrontOfficeFanatic, Dec 27, 2020.

1. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Dak is one of the NFL's top QBs. That's why Jerry Jones is about to pay him $40m+ per season. Jerry doesn't WANT to, but he knows there are teams out there that would, starting with the Patriots.

semperfigreen likes this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

You are accurate that I just don't like him. I can't put my finger on it, but I just never have liked him. I saw him play a couple of times in college, looked at video the year he was in the draft, etc., but he just never impressed me. I can't say exactly what it is that I don't like about him, just don't care for him. I have nothing against him. Have you never had an experience like that, where there was a player that you just didn't like for some reason, although he was talented and a good player?

I agree that he is definitely better than any QB that we've had since Vinny except Chad. His arm is better than Chad's, but I like Chad better as a QB. Still, that isn't saying much, because we haven't had a QB who was worth a darn since Vinny. Yes, he would make our team instantly better, but since our team is probably 2-3 years away from being serious contenders, he'd be 30 by that time. Even if he could play well into his 30s, it still would be diminishing returns as he gets older, more injury prone, and he already has a serious injury.

He can go make some other team better. I want no part of him.

3. semperfigreen

semperfigreen Well-Known Member

Chad was a good QB, but I think at this point Dak is a better QB than Chad was for us. Chad through for 3000 yards tops for us in two of his seasons and the most tds he threw in a season for us was 22.

4. semperfigreen

Everyone has an opinion, I respect yours! There are a lot of people who don't like him. I just don't see many other options that make us a better team, besides rolling the dice on an unproven high draft pick. We will see what happens over the next few months.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. semperfigreen

Exactly!!!

Footballgod214 likes this.
  6. NCJetsfan

Thanks. I respect yours as well. I understand why you want Prescott and would like him. I just can't. I'd rather roll with a rookie, Morgan and a different vet even if he may not be as good as Prescott. The difference is that vet would only be a here for a year or two at most, rather than being locked into Prescott longer term and paying a lot more to Prescott.

semperfigreen likes this.
  7. Footballgod214

If our only two choices was to pay Sam Darnold $25M/yr or pay Dak Prescott $40M/yr, what would you do?

8. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

I don't agree at all. Sam will be a Jet for many years. I'm glad you are not the GM.

9. Footballgod214

I wonder what Gregg Williams is feeling now that HIS defense has just rattled off 2 wins in a row with almost no blitzing?

Jets79 and Pepsiguy5 like this.
  10. NCJetsfan

If I was the GM, I'd quit. If I was the owner, and those were the only two choices, I'd either sell the team or fold the franchise. LOL

Footballgod214 and REVISion like this.
  11. NCJetsfan

We'll see.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  12. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I sincerely hope you're right. We shall see soon enough.

hornblower likes this.
  13. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Lots of good back and forth in this thread.

losing out on the top pick made our future WAY tougher....at one, TL was a no brainer.

number two pick? Now it’s all up in the air.

I am definitely NOT in favor of using the second pick on a QB just because we need one.

I’ve watched exactly ONE game for Fields....last week against Northwestern. He sucked. He shows all the flaws we see in Sam...inaccurate under pressure, can’t read the D, etc. sure, he put up great numbers when he had literally ZERO pressure and wide open receivers. That happens in the NFL never. If we were to draft him, I don’t think he would look any better than Sam has looked. The only advantage is that we would reset the rookie pay scale at QB. But I am SUPER wary of this kid....I just don’t see it with him. Ohio State hasn’t produced an NFL QB, since when? I just don’t see it.

I’ve not yet seen any Wilson games, but the level of competition worries me a bit, and he seems a bit small. But I’ve not heard any talk about him being a number two pick type guy. And that’s what really worried me. I’m guessing that because teams are so QB needy, he’ll rise up the draft boards after the season ends based on combine and workouts. That’s a red flag for me. If you don’t see a guy as a legitimate top draft pick after watching real games, then he shouldn’t rise up the boards later based on numbers and workouts. And who is the last QB to come out of BYU? I think it’s Steve Young, right? That’s a long stretch.

so to me, I’m not really on board with using the second pick on either Fields or Wilson. I’d prefer to trade down a bit and see if they make sense, say at pick 7, 8, 9 or so. Something like that.

Since we have Sam for one more year on his rookie deal, we can also just keep him, draft a QB anyway, and see what happens with a new coaching staff. Of course, if it suddenly clicks with him and he balls out with a better surrounding cast and a new coach and scheme, then so be it...he would cost more to resign, but we’d have to live with it. I think that risk is better than exercising his fifth year option at this point....based on his play to date, it’s hard to say he’s earned it. I mean, today, he played well, especially for him, and yet it still was 50% completion rate and under 200 yards. If that was another team’s QB, we’d all be saying he sucks! The bar has come down real far for him....I think it’s more mental than anything..,he has been a mess ever since the ghosts game. So yeah, he’s had shit OL play, shit receivers, and shit RBs, but he could’ve been playing better than he’s played. He has to own that.

I’m ok with moving on, I’d be ok if a new coach wanted to keep him next year too though...but it has to be a new coach and on board with JD’s vision.

it will be very interesting to see what happens now....JD spoke up in support of Darnold and Gase, but actions coming up will really show what he’s thinking

on the plus side, since we are now locked in to the number two pick, we can at least root for us to smoke the Patriots next week with no regrets!

14. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

This is a really bad take on Darnold. Gase is horrendous, no doubt, but Sam can only run the plays that are called. This offense is terrible, but at least it has shown some life the last couple weeks. Deciding what to do with Darnold is a tough decision. I think it will be a toss up until the combine process is finished.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  15. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

He's done here

16. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

BYU picked up a game against Coastal Carolina at the last minute because BYU had a game cancelled due to COVID. They lost to Coastal (who was a top 15 team in the country) by a few inches (The WR was tackled at the 1 inch line and short of the game winning touchdown) If they win that game they are ranked top 10 in the nation and playing in one of the premier Bowl Games in all of college football. The lack of competition argument works both ways. Lawrence and Fields are on the best teams in the country with NFL talent littered all over the place. Wilson plays in a lesser conference but dominates with lesser talent at this disposal. It works both ways.

Wilson is a legit QB prospect and should 100% be the pick at #2. He can make all of the throws and has some nice zip on the ball. He moves really well in the pocket and always has his head down field when things break down.

2018 - 2020 Wilson has the best deep ball % of any QB that has been drafted (Including Tua, Kyler, + Burrow). Since 2016, on throws 20+ yards or more he is 13% better than the next guy (Tua). He is the best deep ball thrower over the last 5 years and it isn't even close.

17. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Great at at improvising, throwing on the run and across his body, ala Mahomes

18. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

It’s not far fetched to want more than a bottom 5 Qb wise guy. Talk about low expectations...

matt robinson 17 and REVISion like this.
  19. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I completely get that most fans here want a better QB than Darnold has been, but saying he's trash ignores the reality of what his career here has been. And no, that's not an "excuse", that's reality.

He's played for two of the worst coaches in Jets history, with almost no NFL-caliber talent at the skill positions, and a HC/OC (Gase) who purposely refused to adjust his "system" to fit Darnold's strengths! If you actually wanted to try and ruin a QB you could not write a better recipe. For all intents and purposes he is NOT a 3 year vet, he's more like a rookie entering his second season.

He absolutely has flaws, beginning with his footwork and mechanics which hurt his accuracy, and these are serious. But they can be improved, if not completely corrected, and even so, he's had some success despite them. Also, his decision-making needs improvement, but again, playing behind a swisscheese OL for most of his career here has certainly impacted this. Given a decent OL and learning to trust the protection - which he's showing signs of doing now that the OL has improved - will enable him to improve his decision-making. So no, he has not played like a #3 draft pick or like a potential FQB, but he's capable of being better than average still.

All that said, he's 23 and still has potential to be MUCH better than he's shown. Will he fulfill that potential? Who knows? Certainly not with Gase! Could he at least become good enough to take a team to the SB? IMO he's better than Sanchez, so yes, he could do that. And the Jets still have one more year on his rookie deal to answer that question. I believe Douglas will take that year, even if he decides to draft a QB, which I'm not at all certain he's planning on doing.

Personally, I'd love to see the Jets draft a stud, future HOF QB, the first since Namath. I'd say after almost 60 years of waiting I'm overdue for that "reward" as a fan, but I don't see it happening. MAYBE Lawrence could've been that QB, but that's a moot point now, and even he wasn't a slam dunk. And the truth is no college QB will ever be. It requires the right team - great CS and talent - to enable a college QB to reach that potential, and right now the Jets have neither of those ingredients. So keeping Darnold and possibly drafting his future replacement, OR finding a better option in a vet you can get in FA or trade, looks to be the surest routes at this point.

Imagesrdecieving and NCJetsfan like this.
  20. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

If Sam hasn't improved his weaknesses by his third year, and in some ways has regressed, why should we have hope he'll fix them in the future?

He had a decent OL this year, the best one of his career at least, and he regressed. He had the best group of WR's he's had during his career this year, and he regressed. Sam is the only QB in the NFL this year to have a negative EPA when throwing from a clean pocket. It's literally a net negative for us when Sam throws from a clean pocket. But we should continue to build around him and hope that makes him better? No.

NCJetsfan and matt robinson 17 like this.