What a Pathetic QB and Coach

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FrontOfficeFanatic, Dec 27, 2020.

1. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Totally agree with the first part, Sam outplayed Baker today.

All QB's have bad games, even the greats, but lets not act like Sam's "solid"/"good" games aren't bad games for any top tier QB.

The Jets expected more, as did we, from a guy they drafted 3rd overall.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

The last two games his decision making has been excellent for the most part. No coincidence that the OL is playing better too, and he has all his receivers playing.

3. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Sure, he hasn’t thrown any INTs.

He’s still throwing into double and triple coverage, checking down when there are bigger plays to be had, running out of bounds and losing 1-2 yards rather than throwing it away.

Sam is a QB that needs everything around him to be great to succeed. If your QB needs that, he isn’t the guy.

There’s no shame in saying he’s not our guy. The Jets failed him and he has made minimal progress.

#83 NYJFOREVER, Dec 27, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2020
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  4. semperfigreen

semperfigreen Well-Known Member

He isn't that good? Compared to Darnold he is way better. 106 tds to 40 ints in career which is about a 3 to 1 ratio. He has a career completion percentage of 66% and threw for almost 5,000 yards last year. He is 27 years old, still young. Compared to any free agent qbs or Darnold he is better. Any top 10 qb, which I believe he was before the injury, will have to be paid top dollar.

5. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Thing is, I'm not making a stance for or against. I'm just expressing what I believe It to be. I was a big Darnold fan, I still think he can be a good QB In the league. I'm sour on the idea of moving forward with him on our team though. I've just had enough at this point personally.

I think worst case, he is a serviceable backup In this league. Best case, he turns the corner like some of his fellow peers and shows he belongs. I'm just not there yet to proclaim It one way or another. I just know It's possible.

6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Not the right move for the Jets off an injury like he had at $35-$40 million per year.

But I agree with you. It always irks me when people diminish Dak's talent and what he's done in his career.

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  7. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

59.8% completion percentage would rank 34th in the NFL in completion percentage this year....still think it's solid?

Ironically enough Sam's completion percentage for the season is 59.7.

70% is great, you are absolutely correct but unfortunately that game is the outlier for Sam.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I do think It's solid. Yes.

Do I think It's good/great. No.

9. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

listen you’re a million percent correct

everyone needs to read your post

I know people won’t like to hear this

but you can’t waste a number 2 on a QB hope just because you hate Sam and got your nuts scraped by TL possibility.

build the team correctly. BPA for now.

they are about 2 competent drafts away from being built. And lord knows that’s a prayer.

Pick fucking good players, trade down if possible, have a 5-11 year in 2021 and reevaluate

This POST above from 336 is gospel

Jets79 and Pepsiguy5 like this.
  10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Just about any QB is better than Darnold.

No, he isn't that good imo. His stats were compiled with the best (or one of the top 3 OLs in the NFL and with great playmakers around him. He wouldn't have those with the Jets for a season or two, if then. Prescott isn't worth $40 million which is what he wants. No way I'd give him anything anywhere near that, and I don't want him at all. I didn't want him coming out of college and don't want him now.

Jets79 and LAJet like this.
  11. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

I miss Ken O'Brien. :(

12. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

QB's need weapons. Right now the Jets have one good receiver and one promising one. Perryman is not very good. Mayfield lacked pass catchers too. The NFL these days is about pitch and catch primarily. Get Sam some big time guys and he will prosper.

13. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

"Fans expect more" could probably be said about 25 out of 32 QBs. Ya, no doubt Sam will never be Mahomes.

14. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

How is 34th solid though? If he were sitting at the 16-25 range, sure that's solid but not 34th. That means 2 teams have 2 QB's that have better completion percentages than Sam has this year.

Again, if he were middle of the road, I see your point but he's not.

15. NCJetsfan

He should have had at least one interception today. He threw a pass to Perriman in the 2nd half (I believe) that was way off the mark and it hit Brown DB Ward in the hands, but he dropped it.

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  16. semperfigreen

Vilma, I agree that the injury is a concern. But for people to say he isn't good is comical.

Burnz and jets_fan like this.
  17. semperfigreen

Sounds like you don't like him for whatever reason. He is better than any qb we have had since Vinny. Dallas surrounded him with talent, like normal teams are supposed to. He would make our team instantly better than any other qb in free agency or the draft (fields or wilson)

18. NCJetsfan

There's a difference between saying a player isn't good and saying that he isn't that good. He's been better than I ever thought he would be, but I think that is by and large a product of the team he is on. Put him on the Jets, the Bengals, Jags, or other teams who aren't that good, and his stats wouldn't nearly be all that. It's too his credit that he has taken advantage of his opportunity and has produced at a high level. I just think there are better QBs out there and QBs in the draft who may have better potential, and the fit isn't there, and it's too much money.

19. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

Sempefigreen, you think Dak is a better QB than Pennington was?

20. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Then how does Gardner Minshew have a 66.1 completion percentage on 2,254 yards with a 16/5 TD/INT ratio?

Having playmakers matters but do we really think Minshew is in THAT much better of a situation than Sam is? Minshew has a good RB in Robinson and a solid, yet inconsistent WR in Chark (trust me, he's on my fantasy team this year). If Sam were even around league average, I would be right there with a lot of you all defending him and saying he needs another shot with better talent around him but he isn't.

Sam is 34th in completion percentage this year (59.7%), 31st in yards (1,767), tied for 34th in TD's (6 TD's, btw, ironically enough he's tied with Joe Flacco), and has the 15th most INT's this year (9). These rankings may change slightly because I just realized ESPN has not updated their statistics for this week but the only thing I think it would change at a glance would be Sam would jump from 34th to 33rd in TD's, passing Flacco and Jimmy G (a guy that hasn't played since November 1st).

Sam has not been a good QB this year, he's not even been a solid QB this year. He's at the bottom of the league in almost every passing statistic. It is time to move on from Sam.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.