What a Pathetic QB and Coach

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FrontOfficeFanatic, Dec 27, 2020.

1. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

5.5 yards per attempt at a 50% completion percentage is solid?

Branden Allen is making Darnold look like a joke with a significantly worse offensive line.

2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I agree...Sam could have really made a case for himself as the QB going forward if he had converted on those three drives, or at least used up a bunch of clock on one or two and found the EZ on the other, but he didn't. What that showed me is that right now, at this point, he's equivalent to a decent backup. He's not a guy who can put the team on his back and carry them, even for a short distance. That said, I think he still has the potential to be that guy.

But this is a results-driven league, and he hasn't delivered the results. So the prudent thing to do is to draft his replacement, but keep him unless you're overwhelmed with a great offer for him. Let him compete for the job, and if he wins it allows them to sit the rookie until he can come up to speed. If he doesn't beat the rookie, he becomes the backup.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  3. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Ya, two long passes that come to mind is his first TD pass (against the Lions) to Robby Anderson. A long pass that Anderson came up with, but only after looking backwards and climbing up the DB while falling backwards. Pass shoulda been about 3 yards deeper and Robby catches it uncontested. The second one was last year when Sam was throwing off his back foot near his own EZ and hooked up with Robbie (again) on a deep pass after Robbie got behind the defense (Dallas?). Again, the pass was 'off' by about 5 yards but Robbie was so alone he could make the adjustment.

We really haven't had the oline (for time) or the WRs to get deep on a regular basis to see what Sam's long ball game looks like. His deep balls to date have been 'one offs' here and there. But his 35yrd TD pass to Crowder today was a dime (Crowder was wide open though). Oh, I remember that long pass across his body down the sidelines to Robbie during the Bills game last year that led to a late season win. Robbie caught it and ran into the stands. Amazing throw/catch.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  4. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

Here is one Tua , who is learning as he goes in the NFL. can you name one of his rbs, wrs, or tes that started last night? Maybe because we play them .Last night they were with out there 1st string wideout, second string, third-string wr. An undrafted rb, and the lone weapon an underachieving tight end. Tua has had no weapons all yr but was 5-2 with 10 tds and 2 ints. Yet they benched him . Sam has Gore, Perine,Mims ,Crowder, Perriman,and Herndon. Stud LT 3 yrs in If Sam had 10 tds and 2 ints with a 5-2 record now we would be trying to lock him up long term. The fins bench their guy and allow Fitz to win it

5. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Baker only had 52% completion today with zero TDs and he turned the ball over THREE times on fumbles. Today anyway, Sam > Baker. And Mahomes (today) against the 4 win Falcons only had a 54% completion with an INT.

It is what it is.

6. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

I don't think it makes sense to have both of those guys on the roster. I think if they do draft a QB, we should trade Sam for the best deal we can get, and plug in a vet until the kid is ready.

7. Bellys Lies

[QUOWhat has he given up to get these reTE="IIMeanDeanII, post: 4019814, member: 5512"]JD has certainly made mistakes but to insinuate that he hasn't had a good first draft Is silly to me. It's still early, but, all Indicators that you would want to see are there for suggesting that his first draft was a homerun.

Becton - Is a homerun.
    Denziel Mims - looks very solid so far.
    Ashtyn Davis - looked like he has a lot of potential before he got hurt. Started.
    Jabari Zuniga - Is a question mark but he looked pretty good today against the Browns
    La'Mical Perine - looks like he could have a solid rotational role for us moving forward.
    James Morgan - I don't think many of us cared for this pick, but, who knows?
    Cam Clark - He was a good pick, but, we don't know much on him yet.
    Bryce Hall - He has been looking extremely solid. He's had some rookie mistakes but I think he will be a keeper moving forward. A lot of potential there. Starter.
    Braden Mann - He is already a top tier punter In the league.

That's a very solid draft so far. I understand pointing out some of JD's mishaps, but, that critic doesn't make much sense.[/QUOTE]

8. ColoradoContrails

Yes, his deep ball accuracy - in fact his accuracy with most of his passes - is shaky. And it all stems from his lack of good technique and footwork. This CAN be improved, but it will take a lot of work, which I do think he's putting in. I say that because today, while he wasn't Steve Young accurate, he was somewhat better than he has been. That said he badly missed on two shorter passes to Perriman that come to mind. But the deep ball to Perriman at the goal line I think was catchable with more effort from BP.

Bottom line is that if he wants to be a starter he needs to fix his fundamentals and improve his accuracy. How many drives has he short circuited because he couldn't complete a pass? Too many.

9. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Your trying so hard to make this narrative work, but, it's not.

Okay. He was at 50% against the browns. He still had two TDs and Zero INTs.

What about last week when he threw at a 70% completion percentage? That doesn't count?

We can only talk about the bad games you want to focus on, or..? Hows that work exactly?

..and, yes, overall. His completion % is in fact solid. 59.8% career is SOLID. Not great. SOLID.

10. ColoradoContrails

Yes, if they can get good value for Darnold, but I'd rather keep him than sell him cheap. He's a young vet in relatively good shape. He's likely cheaper and better than any other vet QB options out there.

Ralebird likes this.
  11. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Herbert played fine today against one of the leagues best defenses without his top receiver and tightend and a swiss cheese offensive line.

12. Jonathan_Vilma

In what league is 59.8% completion percentage solid, man? This isn't 1996 anymore. Starting quarterbacks are at 63-65% and above in this league or they're not going to be starting quarterbacks for very long.

Name me a starting QB today that has a similar completion percentage that has been around for a while or we expect to be around for a while? The only one I can think of is Cam Newton and we've seen how his season has gone.

Lamar Jackson completes at 64% for his career...

13. Bellys Lies

He had an avg to good draft, in his first draft, however, Becton is the man , Mims is good, a home run no, will he become a good 2nd lets hope. He should based on his draft position. Is it a great pick, no , it is the value you would expect for that you should get for that pick.. Yes. Davis we do not know,Zuniga had a good play today but has done nothing great, Perine has looked no better than the rest of the guys our roster at rb. Morgan........, Bryce Hall could be a starter down the road or exposed for who he is talent wise . Mann is a very good punter. Not much to hang your hat on

14. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

It's still plenty early too. Josh Allen was worse before this year.

Solid to me is in the range of a career journeyman. Not good enough, but, enough to get you by until you find good enough.

It's similar to a Josh McCown or Ryan Fitzpatrick trajectory.

That is solid to me. It's enough to get by. It's not good/great. It's not something you shoot for, but, It can work.

He is right at 60%. That's kinda where those guys sit for the most part, no?

I'm not arguing that Sam, as of now, Is good enough. I think It's still very early In his career to determine officially that he won't spike forward like a Baker Mayfield and Josh Allen did. With new CS and pieces to work with.

All I'm saying.

60% is solid. It's not awful. Someone like that can obviously win games.. Clearly, unfortunately for this season, we literally just experienced that for the past two weeks.

All I'm saying.

15. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

dude come on. don't be like that. you are a better fan than that. Don't ever abandon your team, dude.

16. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Reason #8 why Sam sucks...

[​IMG]

IIMeanDeanII and KY Jets Fan like this.
  17. Jonathan_Vilma

I mean but you're comparing him to two guys who are 1-2 in regards to the most teams they've started for all time.

It's enough to remain in the league I guess. Better than like... Jeff Driskel.

18. Stevied

Stevied Well-Known Member

Does anyone have an indication on how the 2022 QB class MAY be? Maybe forgoe the QB, use this year to build everything up and in 22/23 take a real QB? That way he comes into a real team

19. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Again, I think I'm just going to have to disagree with you guys on the definition of solid QB play because that ain't it IMO, not in today's NFL anyway.

You really gonna be happy with a game manager going forward? Because that's Darnold's ceiling at this moment in my eyes. Hopefully he gets a fresh start, ideally back on the WC, with a good team and has some success. I don't hate the kid and the Jets didn't do him any favors but his time in NY is up IMO. Time to move on.

20. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

This is 2020, not 1990.

Darnold has his moments but he has significantly more bad moments that he does good ones. Mentally, I don’t think he has it. His decision making is consistently awful.

The Jets have a #2 pick in a year where there are 3 legitimate options at QB in the draft, it’s time to move on.