What a Pathetic QB and Coach

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FrontOfficeFanatic, Dec 27, 2020.

1. BrickcityJet

BrickcityJet Well-Known Member

What Gase did to Darnold is a travesty. He did nothing to play to his strengths and did everything to play to all his weaknesses.

Darnold didn’t exactly rise in an adverse situation. Quite the opposite, he regressed. It’s safe to say he rose to the level of game manager these last two games. It’s still not enough....too little, too late. We probably need to move on from both of them. Darnold’s 23, lots of tread left on them tires. He can still turn it around, somewhere else. He probably needs that at this point. It would hurt to see him go somewhere else and turn into a great, but we really didn’t do him any favors while he was here. To me that’s just as bad as losing out on Trevor Lawerence. Like they say a bird in hand is worth two in the bush.

Hopefully, his trade value is going up a little.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  2. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

This is exactly It. It's the fact that we are all miserable, emotions are running high, and missing out on Lawrence has everyone out for blood.

Darnold is an easy target right now.

I don't get It.

3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

He's been pretty well protected with a solid running game and decent enough wide receiver play. And he's broken 200 yards once.

Not turning the ball and checking it down most of the game gets you a gold star but he's been nothing more than average my man.

For what it's worth, his stats would be slightly better if Perriman had any idea as to how to track a deep ball. He was awful at it today.

Jets79, KY Jets Fan, Acad23 and 2 others like this.
  4. IIMeanDeanII

The interior of our line has been shit all year. All year. Our running game Is In the bottom half of the league still. It hasn't been solid. I agree with the WR play overall. Still can be upgraded by a lot though.

We need to move on I think, but, we've definitely had much worse at QB. He is capable and I think he has been ruined overall.

I think until he has stability and consistency, nobody really knows what level of QB he truly Is.

I hope he finds that opportunity moving forward. Even If It's with us.. I don't think he's been given a fair shake. I just don't.

5. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I wish I could give this TWO thumbs up...

LAJet likes this.
  6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The interior of the line and running game has been good over the past three games that everyone has held up as "good" games by Darnold.

He's proved that he has a place in this league on someone's roster. And might have another shot at starting one day as a journeyman pickup. Maybe he becomes a good player.

The franchise certainly hasn't helped him much. But he's not the first high draft pick to go to a bad team and struggle with a bad coach/supporting cast.

Was Tim Couch a product of his surroundings? Ryan Leaf? Paxton Lynch? The list goes on brother. No one makes excuses for those guys like Jets fans do for Darnold.

7. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Tom Brady in NE had been running this same offense for 10 years. I don't think Brady even attempted a pass over 5 yards. Why? He didn't have the oline to give him time and didn't have the WRs to go deep (other than Moss, 1 yr). Brady either threw a slant, a screen, or he threw to the 6'7" Gronk on a the seam rout. Or he handed it off (NE invested more in their run game than their pass game the last 5 years). Look at how different Brady's games are in Tampa with REAL outside weapons. Night and day.

So Gase tore a page out of Belichick's game book and handed it to Sam. Quick passes. Screen passes. Slants. And hand it off. Zero ints. 3-1 record (I'll give Sam the Raiders game).

Don't call Sam out for running a game plan designed to work against the NFL's #1 defense (Rams) and another 10 win playoff team. He got the job done. I'd rather win ugly than lose pretty.

8. IIMeanDeanII

I just want to say... Tim Couch was the fucking man. ha I think If he would've played for a team that knew how a team was supposed to look, he would've found success. I really liked, TC.

Ryan Leaf was awful. I mean, did you watch some of his games? Awful. There was no supporting cast saving that guy.

Paxton Lynch, I never followed. I'm not sure about his story, I remember he got drafted by the Bronco's. Don't remember him ever playing though.

Interesting names. Damn, I forgot about, Couch. He had some fun games to watch.

Anyways. ha
    I think some players, It's just obvious. Others, It's not.
    For me. Darnold falls into the latter category for me. I don't think he will be an all-star, I do think he's potentially a solid starter with help around him.

Then again, how much of Darnold got ruined because of the current state of the Jets? I think he was showing a lot of potential before Gase walked In to the picture, I think that potential was thrown out the door as soon as Gase got a hold of him.
    It's a big what-if game overall. Admittedly. I'm now ready to move on overall, but, I could see JD trying to rehash that potential with a HC that can actually put a coaching staff together that will truly benefit, Darnold.

I personally think we should take a QB at #2 at this point, start over at the position with a new coaching regime. I'm okay with rolling the dice on SD a bit more too.
    I'm not trying to make excuses for the kid.. I honestly believe he got a bad hand, It hasn't improved, and now we are all stuck In limbo. It sucks.
    I don't wish him to fail though. I truly hope he Is successful. Regardless.

9. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

I would definitely try to trade down with Cinci. The Jets should do everything in their power to scare them into thinking they are taking Sewell

10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

It came to light just recently supposedly that Gase admitted he didn't like the Darnold pick. That really shouldn't surprise anyone because Gase's "system" isn't suited to a guy who isn't really accurate and is better out of the pocket than in it. What should (but won't!) give the Johnsons some agita is that this same guy Gase gushed about how he would be THRILLED with the chance to coach Darnold! What a fucking liar! And if the Johnsons had ANY clue and knew what they were looking for they would never have even interviewed Gase. So is it really that surprising to anyone that Darnold actually regressed the last 2 years? Here's the reality: he may technically be a 3rd year QB, but he is effectively not much beyond a first year QB.

Just look at Mayfield. Today he looked worse than Darnold and yet he's leading a team that was 10-4 coming into today. And what's the difference between this year and last year for him? A new CS and some more talent. HUH! What a surprise!

11. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I'm about Sam's biggest/one of his few remaining fans. But I WILL say that if I had to criticize one thing about his game that I've noticed is that he all too often misfires on deep throws. He seems to have plenty of arm strength but the accuracy really seems to break down on the long ones. That has been disappointing.

And unlike things like reading defenses, confidence, etc I'm not so sure that is something that can be "worked on" or improved much with practice. I don't think he's ever going to be consistently converting bombs like Rothlisberger.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  12. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

As a defender of Sam, watching that 4th quarter finally made me cross the line to being ready to move on. Three chances to put the game away, and he went 0-3. That shouldn't happen, and a lot of that has to fall on him. Not all of it ... but a lot of it.

But with that said ... I don't think Sam is nearly is bad as people make him out to be.
    Early in the game he made a perfect throw to BP on the sideline, and BP couldn't hold on. I ask you guys ... does Hopkins make that catch? Does Metcalf make it? In fact ... does Brandon Marshall make it?? That bomb late in the game that BP couldn't catch ... does Santonio Holmes make that catch?? And if those catches are made, maybe he has 250 yards and 3 TDs today.

I know he's underperformed but he's had ZERO help in his career. Who's getting separation out there? Who's making big catches? Who's running for 1,300 yards? Comparing him to Sanchez is unfair. He's much better than Sanchez. If we decide to move on ... fine. But for me it's a lot more about resetting the clock than Sam not being able to play.

13. vokab206

vokab206 Well-Known Member

Head Coach, yes. QB no. Darnold is only 23. He's 2 years older than these prospects. He's trying to do all he can. Imagine if he had some kind of talent at running back, we are seeing the offensive line play better and the receivers and tight ends are making plays now. Darnold is doing the best he can with what he has. The Browns defense is pretty good and he's played well the last two weeks. Now that we will have the second pick I'd like to see what he can do with some talent around him and a coach next year. I'd really consider signing him to a three year $60 million extension with the third year a team option. Darnold and Maye should be extended IMO.

Footballgod214 and Pepsiguy5 like this.
  14. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I could not disagree with this more. Sam is not the reason we won these games. The team won in spite of him not because of him. He is not the answer at QB for this franchise. The sooner this whole fanbase realizes that, the better off we’ll all be.

22/31 207 1TD
    16/32 175 2TD

Do these look like the stat lines of a solid QB? If so, then we totally disagree on what that means. Most good/great QB’s throw for 382 and 3TD’s in 1 game, not 2.

15. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I have to believe they would be absolutely drooling over Sewell.

Although I'm suspecting JD might need to give his own chin a little wipe now and then while reviewing scouting reports on him as well.

16. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

On Bengals forums, they know Sewell is not lasting to 3 just like we know Lawrence is not making it to 2.

17. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

JD needs to make his mark on this team this off season. I was thinking about it today. The dolphins started their rebuild 5 months before JD was hired. They have 6 drafted rookies starting and 8 drafted rookies playing alot. They are a 10 win team,with maybe the 3rd overall pick in the draft or at least top 6 , mid 20 pick and houstons 2nd pick and their 2nd . 9 overall picks. Cap money, no major contracts for a few yrs.
    We have Q. Williams. Becton,Mims, Mann, and a few avg players to show for JDs tenure, in almost the same time frame. Q Williams was already here. JD needs to hit on so much from headcoach, qb, cbs,edge rusher,etc. Yes miami does not have a second !st next yr.,but ours is Seattle and it will be in all likelihood be 25-30.
    When you look at what JD has done and compare it to other teams it is not very impressive.

18. IIMeanDeanII

I think you need to go revisit your definition of SOLID and GOOD/GREAT. Then come on back and let us know what you found. ;)

Oh, to answer your question. Yeah, In every possible way, those look like SOLID numbers for a QB. Not good/great. SOLID.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  19. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

One thing about those Rams numbers ...
    Keep in mind that he was something like 16-20 for 175 yards at one point. That's 8.75 YPA which is phenomenal. But we were way ahead, so Gase did what he does, and handcuffed the offense the rest of the way. It's really hard to put up flashy numbers with this guy calling the shots.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. IIMeanDeanII

JD has certainly made mistakes but to insinuate that he hasn't had a good first draft Is silly to me. It's still early, but, all Indicators that you would want to see are there for suggesting that his first draft was a homerun.

Becton - Is a homerun.
    Denziel Mims - looks very solid so far.
    Ashtyn Davis - looked like he has a lot of potential before he got hurt. Started.
    Jabari Zuniga - Is a question mark but he looked pretty good today against the Browns
    La'Mical Perine - looks like he could have a solid rotational role for us moving forward.
    James Morgan - I don't think many of us cared for this pick, but, who knows?
    Cam Clark - He was a good pick, but, we don't know much on him yet.
    Bryce Hall - He has been looking extremely solid. He's had some rookie mistakes but I think he will be a keeper moving forward. A lot of potential there. Starter.
    Braden Mann - He is already a top tier punter In the league.

That's a very solid draft so far. I understand pointing out some of JD's mishaps, but, that critic doesn't make much sense.