What’s the gameplan if Wilson doesn’t improve this season?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetFan20, Oct 20, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NY Jets68

NY Jets68 Well-Known Member

On that note, there's plenty of suckatude to go around.
    Wilson isn't shitting the bed by himself.

Cman68 and LAJet like this.
  2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Dude, you're preachin to the choir on this. This has been a joint failure. Everyone owns a piece of this train wreck and yeah, that includes JD.

3. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Indeed, when you have a rookie QB, challenged by a quantum leap in difficulty t, you would expect the supporting cast to make his job a bit easier not the other way around. Instead, be it the play calling, the running game, or the execution in general has been subpar. I have to believe we are probably league leaders only in drive killing penalties, drop passes and interceptions.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The real issue is going to be how much QB ability Zach Wilson actually has.

Matt Millen did everything he could to get Joey Harrington going and the reality was that Harrington just wasn't an NFL QB.

Take a look at the guys drafted into bad situations who actually worked out in the NFL recently. They looked like QB's right off the bat. Yeah, they made mistakes but they mostly had the job down.

Zach Wilson looks like he is totally out of his depth at this point. He doesn't have most of the skills he will need to be successful in the NFL and it is really hard to pick those up on the fly.

FrontOfficeFanatic and NYJetsO12 like this.
  5. cval

cval Well-Known Member

No he doesn't it is the exact opposite. Zach looks like he has all the tools to be a successful NFL QB. Give me a break

We have a good one folks. He has strong arm, good accuracy and can read defenses. He is still learning the system and the speed of the game and how to play from the pocket.

Don't let people that want him to fail tell you other wise. This kid will be good for the Jets for a long time.

#45 cval, Oct 21, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2021
    PJ4Ever and FJF like this.
  6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

You're watching a fantasy at this point.

If Zach Wilson was a Giant or Patriot you'd be chortling about how bad he has looked.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  7. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Nope, I would be saying the same thing because it is the truth. He is right on schedule I am excited what he will become.

You can't teach some the throws he had this year. Even the Pats game he made some incredible throws. He will learn and having growing pains but you can't teach what he has.

8. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Lisa Wilson, Jet Flight Crew

stinkyB and NYJetsO12 like this.
  9. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

The skeptic in me gives Brads Posts a Like ..especially when I witness Wilson throwing at receivers feet

The devotee in me says NC scouted out a great QB with a high ceiling

10. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

I tend to agree with you--at this point anyway. Hope I'm wrong--as I've made abundantly clear in other threads.

So far, and I hope my mind will change as he progresses, Zach reminds me of the Harlem Globetrotters. He can do really cool things with the football and he has talent, but it's not translating against this level of competition and how NFL teams scheme. He was able to look elite this past year, mainly due to the COVID schedule that BYU was gifted. I kind of tried to fall in love with him after we lost out on Lawrence, but I have a sinking feeling that moment we senselessly beat the Rams is going to be just another punchline for this team just like Manning was. I live in FL and I can tell you the Jags fans constantly thank Frank Gore for royally screwing us.

You are right on about your point that the GREAT ones looked a certain way right off the bat--they were able to sustain drives and show they had what it took to consistently make throws against NFL defenses.

Right now, Zach Wilson has thrown a pic in EVERY GAME--it's normal for rookies to throw pics, but he joins a very lonely list for doing it in every game so far. I have a feeling we are going to see AT LEAST 2 this Sunday--if I was a betting man I would put money on it.

11. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

We did this same thing with Darnold. "He's got all the tools, he can make all the throws".

The fact is Wilson has played very poorly so far. He's made a lot of bad decisions down the field and has been very inaccurate on short passes. It's still extremely early in his career and I remain optimistic he'll improve. Darnold still looked like this in year three.

12. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Don’t most if not all 1st round QBs possess all the tools to be successful in the NFL? Isn’t that the reason they are drafted that high?

13. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I'm not worried about Wilson it's the OC LaFleur I'm worried about. If his play calling doesn't improve should Saleh replace him? Wilson can make all the throws and is pretty smart. His receivers aren't a lot of help so there's all of that hurting his growth.

PJ4Ever likes this.
  14. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Check inside yourself for what the realist has to say.

NYJetsO12 and abyzmul like this.
  15. twown

twown Well-Known Member

I haven't remotely given up on Zach, but you are 100% correct about the alternate-universe mass-scale chortling. Legend has it that some Jets fans are still chortling about Josh Allen. Chortlers gonna chortle.

PJ4Ever likes this.
  16. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Time to put this thread to bed.

Noam likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.