What’s Berrios Worth (POLL)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KingRoach, Jan 21, 2022.

Tags:
?

What’s the most you’d pay for Berrios - 3 yr contract? - (POLL)

1. $3mm/yr max

2. $4mm/yr max

3. $5mm/yr max

4. $6mm/yr max

5. $7mm/yr max

6. $8mm/yr max

7. Hopkins Money

8. Robby Anderson Money

9. $9mm/yr max

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Quickly followed up by a year with half as many receptions and half as many yards.

2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

This is a great question, @KingRoach!

Obviously the Jets have Corey Davis and Elijah Moore ready to roll for 2022 (Who both have great chemistry with Zach Wilson, @ouchy) They still need a true #1 WR though. If they draft one, or trade for one, or sign one, that is your #1, #2, and #3 WR right there. Crowder and Cole likely walk. Berrios was named All-Pro. I think that really helps his negotiating. Not just with the Jets, but the rest of the NFL. Then you have to factor in if he wants to be a Jet? You would assume he can sign with a contender who needs a kick returner pretty easily. So if Berrios does re-sign, it means he believes in the coaching staff and Zach Wilson and that the Jets are not too far off from competing.

It will be an interesting situation to watch, despite him being the #4 WR on the roster.

I honestly don't know what kind of money or contract he will be able to command, but being named All-Pro had to make it go up. Plus his last month as a WR was impressive for the Jets too.

3. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

[​IMG]

KingRoach likes this.
  4. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

I think his rapport with Zach is so valuable as a WR4/special teams ace. I’d go up to 7-8 mill.

ouchy and ColoradoContrails like this.
  5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Spot on!

Like so many here do, they reduce arguments down to raw stats and wind up "losing the forest for the trees". The "trees" here is that Berrios makes things happen consistently more than anyone else has. To use another old saying:" He's greater than the sum of his parts". No, that doesn't mean he should be inducted into Canton right now (or ever), but if all you do is look at his numbers - his size, his targets, etc. - you'll overlook the fact that he simply makes a positive difference when he's on the field. Given the Jets severe lack of playmakers how can anyone suggest that they let him walk, even if they have to overpay him a bit? Who else had the impact Berrios had and how much did they get paid? That's the bottom line.

NY Jets68, LAJet and K'OB like this.
  6. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

7m per year is about the highest I'd go.

7. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Not really. Davis maybe has some, especially early in the year when Zach constantly made him the first read, but not Moore. It was clear Zach was holding Moore back much of the year.

Moore had 19 catches on 46 targets for 202 yards and 1 TD with Zach.
    Moore had 24 catches on 31 targets for 336 yards and 4 TDs from our 3 backups combined.

Moore had a 41% catch rate with Zach vs a 77% catch rate from backups. Zach doesn't have any real chemistry with Moore - at least yet. Certainly not anything like he has with Berrios, which is why its important for us to keep Berrios for Zach.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  8. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

It just kind of worked out that way this season because Wilson struggled to start the season, then got hurt, then Moore emerged as a really good WR with the back-ups, then Wilson returned, then Moore got hurt, then Wilson played pretty well to end the year.

They seemed to have great chemistry in Training Camp and the pre-season. I expect them to be a great combination for years to come.

One of my favorite plays of the year was Wilson's bullet TD to Moore against the Eagles. Now I see why, as it was their only TD connection together in 2021. :)

ColoradoContrails and ouchy like this.
  9. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Unless the goal here is to give up on Zach and tank for a 2023 QB, Berrios is not a guy to cheap out on. If we have to "overpay" by a couple million to re-sign him, we should do that.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  10. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Offer 5 million with several incentives, he needs to stay hungry cause that's what will make him push for 3 years

He's an overachiever like Wilson but a boost for team spirit, character

5.5 mil tops per year unless there is a bidding war then 6 per year is really way overvalue

11. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

Jets let good special team players walk away all the time and it never works out well. No one wanted to pay Folk and we're still looking for a kicker. Stop letting players walk away.

NYJFOREVER and ColoradoContrails like this.
  12. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Still more than Berrios this year.
    His worst better than Berrios best. It’s not a good comparison.

13. BacktoQueens

I’d point to Crowder.
    Look at what he’s done the last few years compared to Berrios. On the same team.
    Anderson was way more impactful here also and JD let him walk.

I’m all for signing Berrios but 7-8M is crazy talk imo, especially if we letting better players walk.

14. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Start a poll. I bet less than 5 people on this board and 7 people on the Panthers board would take Anderson over Berrios right now

15. BacktoQueens

For the same money?
    It’s not even close, and I don’t really like Anderson that much. He’s a legit deep threat that Ds have to account for.

16. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Anderson is a cancer.

17. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Berrios is a more valuable player then Robby, everyday of the week and twice on Sunday.

ColoradoContrails and bicketybam like this.
  18. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Anderson has better hair.

19. ColoradoContrails

If Crowder were the same age and did punt/kickoff returns and ran jet sweeps then maybe the comp is accurate, but Berrios does all those things well that Crowder doesn't do. Of the two, I'd say the risk of overpaying Crowder is greater.

And again, don't "lose the forest for the trees". Whatever his raw numbers, the fact is that when Berrios is in the game he gives the team a jolt, and he makes it harder for defenses to know what's coming.

K'OB likes this.
  20. ColoradoContrails

Why do you say that? I hadn't heard anything along those lines when he was here.