WFAN radio reporting that when Torry Holt gets realeased the Jets will sign him

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Vilmalover51, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Vilmalover51

Vilmalover51 Active Member

Remember what you say now. Don't put that burden on our season.

2. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

He's 32. Randy Moss is also 32. Coles is 31. What do you prefer?

3. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Two years ago, Holt had 93 catches....to say he's been 'over the hill' for two years is a bit of an egregious statement

4. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

WE HAVE A WINNER.

Guys, Holt is still one of the most talented receivers in the NFL. He very likely still has a couple of highly productive seasons left. He had one bad year after like 8 awesome ones. Remember the utterly disastrous set of circumstances he had to deal with last year in St Louis: I.E. His team's wonderful offensive line and quarterback play. (And his numbers were still solid) I can only imagine that a change of scenery from the misery inducing Rams would do him no harm. I wouldn't be surprised if he had a big year with us this year, provided we have a competent quarterback throwing to him (obviously, the biggest IF on our team).

5. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Holt is a good WR. I don't know if it will work out in NY but he has a good 2-3 yrs left in him.

Jerry Rice's most productive season came when he was 33, in 1995. Holt is 32, will be 33 come kickoff. Im not comparing Holt with Rice, but just saying that 32 or 33 is not the end of the world.

#105 Jets n Boys, Mar 10, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
  6. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

7. pcmodem

pcmodem Member

If he's the same price or cheaper than what we were offering Coles, I'm all for it. Stat for Stat I'd take Holt any day of the week, even with the age.

Him knowing the receivers coach would be helpful for continuity, and maybe his insight and experience is what Cotchery needs to take that next step into the elite WR club, I honestly believe Cotch's got it in him.

The only negative I can think of is if we overpay him. As for the QB that throws to him, Clemmens or Ratliffe is A-OK with me. Not sure I'm sold on drafting a QB regardless of what free agents we bring in offensively.

8. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

Good video... thanks. Notice that a lot of his catches were double-covered or with DBs draped all over him. This guy has tremendous hands.

Bring him here, Tanny! Do it now!

9. slimjasi

Just to add to my previous post, I think people are totally underestimating how dominant of a receiver he has been over the past decade.

Just look at his numbers: http://www.nfl.com/players/careerstats?id=HOL771651

The guy is a first ballot hall of fame receiver. I think he should get to have one mediocre (still productive, mind you) season and still get the benefit of the doubt.

Also, great point by the previous poster who pointed out that Jerry Rice's best season was at age 33. It just isn't all that uncommon for great receivers to still be great well into their 30s. There are plenty of examples of this phenomenon. (Anyone Remember a guy named Tim Brown? Remember how dynamic he was with the aforementioned Mr. Rice in Oakland, when both players were well into their 30s? Remember how many people thought Jerry Rice was washed up when the Raiders signed him in 2001???) You guys are being way too critical of this potential move. Torry Holt still has the potential to be an elite WR in the NFL for 2 or 3 years to come. I'll predict right now, without knowing anything definite about how the Jets quarterback situation will unfold, that Holt has a better year than Coles. In fact, I predict he easily has a better year than Coles. Looking at his career numbers and taking into consideration that a change of scenery for a good player on a bad team can often re-ignite his career, does anyone care to disagree?

10. slimjasi

You obviously either A) Haven't looked at Holt's numbers the past few seasons, or B) Don't realize how many great receivers have continued to be great well into their 30s.

http://www.nfl.com/players/careerstats?id=HOL771651

11. McCluneNYJ

McCluneNYJ Active Member

Really?

Monk was 36 when the Jets signed him and had just come off a 41 catch 398 yard 1993 season which was preceded by a 46 catch 644 yard 1992 season. He had already begun his precipitous decline from his >68 catch seasons in the previous 10 years (when healthy.)

The Jets got similar results with a 46 catch 581 yard season in 1994 and he was out of the league one game into the 1995 season.

Saying this signing would be a carbon copy is just wrong.

I share some of the same concerns, but adding 4 years to Holt's age and greatly projecting his decline isn't right.

12. slimjasi

The level of ignorance being displayed in this thread is scary. Are people really this unaware of how dominant of a player Holt has been?? Let's break this down: A 1st ballot, hall of fame WR with crazy, all-time great numbers gets an opportunity to leave one of the worst teams in football after ONE mediocre (still quite productive) season. And People on here think it's a bad idea for the Jets to consider picking him up? Really? REALLY?

13. ToonWalker

ToonWalker New Member

Holt: 32 years old
    Past 3 seasons: 250 catches, 3173 yards

1994 Monk:36 years old
    Previous 3 seasons: 158 catches, 2091 yards

Yeah, that's some carbon copy!:drunk:

14. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

1290 is still butthurt over not getting T.O. He'd rather have a receiver who's 4 years older and a locker room cancer.

15. Exit 117

Exit 117 Active Member

Yeah, it's amazing that the same guy who was begging for T.O. is ripping the idea of signing Torry Holt.

16. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

Holts still got some tires left and with coles gone we could really use him.

17. StreetFighterJet

StreetFighterJet New Member

Excellent post!

For some reason age scares a lot of people. Hines Ward is 33 and still has a lot of impact on a SB winning team.

If the guy can play then the guy can play. And Holt not only brings HOF level talent to the team but he is also a class act. There aren't many players in the NFL that I'd say have Curtis Martin caliber class but Holt is most definitely one of them. This guy would bring many positives to the team, I'm shocked the Rams are willing to dismiss him so readily.

Oh and T. Holt >>>>>>>>>>>>>> L. Coles.

18. StreetFighterJet

StreetFighterJet New Member

Just shows you how clueless some "fans" can be.

19. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

This is would be an interesting move, to say the least.

20. quadcityjetsfan76

I believe the team knows there is a need for a WR, and will address it via the draft. If this move were to happen it would give the FO more options to look at with the first round pick. With Holt we could afford to pick up a second round receiver and go BPA or something different in the first. As it stands right now, a WR in the first is almost a must.