We've got ourselves a center Trey Teague (Merged)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by beanball, Apr 12, 2006.

1. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Naw, I liked Terry Bradway's 7 and 8 year deals to Chrebet and Martin as they approached 30. Only GM on the planet that would ink guys that old for that long.

2. BuffaloBills06

BuffaloBills06 Active Member

3. USAFJETSFAN

USAFJETSFAN New Member

Of course Bill Fans will talk crap about the guy..I also saw some insight from some fans that it was a bad move to let em go..Time will tell

4. Serphnx

Serphnx New Member

Sour grapes, Teague is one of the better pass blocking Centers in the league (top quarter I'd say, not the best or anything, but very good). He's not so great in run block, but those fans are criticizing his pass blocking so I don't think they know what they're talking about.

5. JETSFAN5180

JETSFAN5180 Banned

teague is the best replacement to fill mawaes shoes a shoe he will fill nicely

6. mimzr007

mimzr007 New Member

We have had in my opinion a much better free agency this year than last season. We may have hit "big" with coles coming back but we have added much more depth this season. I would not rule out a 8-10 win season, ecspecially with one of the lowest SOS in the NFL.

7. Warrior

Warrior Member

Bottom line - Teague is better than any center in the draft for the short term. It allows the development of Katnik and Missant for another year - maybe he ends up as very experienced back up if one of these guys come through. He can play multiple positions.

8. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

like dwalsh said -- if they're really confident Katnik can start in a year or two, then they may opt to pass on Center this draft.

generally, you want to avoid using an early pick on a Center; yes, it's one of the most important positions, but many Centers can be found later/undrafted/FA.

i'm not opposed to still taking Mangold @ #29, but at the same time, i'll understand if we don't because of the other options we now have.

cheers

9. BuffaloBills06

BuffaloBills06 Active Member

If he was so great how come we didnt resign him and he only visited 2 teams since FA started? Its not sour grapes he just wasnt that good.

10. deviljets7

deviljets7 Well-Known Member

With the possible exception of Dyson, I don't think any of these signings qualify as anything more than "hold the fort" guys however there is no denying that they help give the Jets the kind of depth they were sorely lacking a year ago. Also I like how these signings are setting the Jets draft where they aren't forced to draft a position early since they need a starter ASAP. Before signing Teague the Jets IMO absolutely had to use 29 or 35 on an guard or center since they had no one else. Now they don't have to if they feel there is a better player on the board. At this point there are 2 positions (1 OT and 1 OLB) where the Jets currently need to get a guy who can start asap. If you can sign a OT like Pearson I'll really like the flexibility the Jets will have entering the draft.

11. IslandJET

IslandJET Member

12. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

your entire organization is a house of cards right now.

maybe y'all didn't resign him because y'all are planning a youth movement; maybe there's someone ready to replace him. i don't know, i'm not the Bills fan, you are.

but just because the Bills didn't resign him means absolutely nothing. in fact, at this point, i'd do the exact opposite of whatever the Bills are doing because it'll probably turn out to be a good move.

cheers

13. kinghenry89

kinghenry89 New Member

It's not sour grapes, Teague is really just not a very good center. Mark my words, the Jets are still gonna pick Nick Mangold if they have a shot at him.

14. jets4life2880

jets4life2880 New Member

very happy to move kendall back to guard...

15. Serphnx

Serphnx New Member

I never said he was great. He's certainly no pro-bowler. His pass blocking just is not as awful as you guys are making it out to be. I certainly don't think he's a turnstyle. At this point, pretty much anything is an upgrade over our true turn-style O-line of last year. I just don't see us running behind him, but whatever, for a stop-gap player I think Teague is a very good signing. Centers are all pretty much the same after the elite level anyway, as long as they're smart enough to make the proper line calls. Teague is good in this regard, and that's what you want out of your center. You build an O-line from the outside-in, so we need our book-ends in this draft. D'Brick at #4 and McNeill at #29 would be good ideas imo.

16. 28rogerblaze51

28rogerblaze51 New Member

Ok i like teague he is a mangini guy, and did a solid job for the bills. Oelhoffen was signed to play NT guys not DE sorry if you think that. This assures our OLINE abit, and with oelhoffen assures that we are going to run a 4-3 and 3-4 schemes.

Why i know kimo is going to be a NT, because i heard it from brian custer on jets nation yesterday at 4:30pm on SNY. Which i already knew and posted it in a thread when we first signed him.

I don't rule out ferguson at this point, but at the same time mario can be our pick.
    Personally i would go mario, and trade for a RT, unless within these weeks before the draft we sign a veteran tackle, then that would make it even clearer that we are taking mario. I doubt we sign a tackle just yet, simply to make it unclear for other teams to know what we are doing.

I do not rule out mangold at 29 because he can play center and guard, that is very valuable. But if we don't go mangold i see us taking a CB or a LB/WR, why a CB as i see it we only have dyson, miller, barrett, and strait every team needs atleast 5 CB's.

We have vilma, barton, hobson, kassell, chatham, that is enough to play a 4-3 a 3-4 or a 2-5.

An extra WR or LB won't hurt.

#116 28rogerblaze51, Apr 13, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2006
  17. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Mangold won't be taken at 29 anymore. 35, maybe, 29, no.

18. SuppaMan

SuppaMan New Member

dont even bother with taking into account a team's thoughts on a guy when they go out and sign peerless price to a fairly good money deal when no one in the league even wanted him, specifically because he has a bad attitude and was shown only to do well when across from moulds, who's no longer there...i swear that team may actually finish worse than us in our division

their offensive line has basically stayed the same to gotten worse so far, the defensive line has gotten worse, their best defensive player (clements) is unhappy, they traded their best WR for a 5th round pick, only to then pay ourt more than league minimum for a player absolutely no one wanted...that team is in for a season on par/worse to us in the way it stands right now

19. McCluneNYJ

McCluneNYJ Active Member

Well, my line of thinking favors no Brick at #4.

If we don't pick Brick, I think we need to get McNeill or O'Callaghan, because one should be there at #29.

However, I don't think he will last past the Texans at #33.

#119 McCluneNYJ, Apr 13, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2006
  20. rickobs

rickobs New Member

I just spoke to a good friend who is a die hard bills fan and he was down on teague. Said the whole running game suffered last year because they got no drive in the interior line, particularly against the pats because of the 3-4...

He said he saw Teague as a back-up tackle at best... then again, he may just be ripping Teague because the Bills didn't resign him.